SVS PB2 Plus making whisting like sound on loud/deep extension sequences in movies... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. So as the title of the post says, my SVS PB2 Plus makes a kind of whistling/chirping sound when there is really deep bass in movies. It only happens during these deep bass scenarios.

I was wondering if perhaps there's something wrong with the sub, like maybe a damaged driver or something? I'm not playing it at ridiculous levels, but decently loud, still nothing loud enough that I think it would testing the limits of the sub. I know it's not a top of the line sub, but it's no slouch either.

I have tried playing with setup but can't seem to get the proper setup for the kind of sound I'm looking for. I don't know if that has something to do with it, but the reason I mention it is because I have 1 of the 3 port holes plugged with the foam plug and the subsonic filter set to 20hz. Maybe that setup has something to do with it?

I don't know if perhaps there is something wrong with the sub, but I never get that "feel it in my chest" type bass that everyone always talks about either.

The room is approximately 4100 ft^3 and has a 6' doorway opening to the kitchen, etc. So yes, it's a decent size room, but not gargantuan...

Any thoughts?

Just wondering if my sub needs to be repaired, or perhaps it's just something to do with my setup.

BTW, I have a Denon AVR 2313 and went through the Auddysey setup. I actually don't feel like it did much with the sub, since I'm still able to change the subsonic filter, port plugs, etc.

BTW - I'm not looking to upgrade to another sub as I don't need things rattling off the shelves 5 rooms over. But I expected this sub, which was an upgrade from a Klipsch KSW15 to give me some really deep gut wrenching bass. Perhaps my expectations were to high when I bought it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Midfi

-SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
sounds like port noise because the sub is being driven at its limits...for a room that size i would have duals. You would be splitting the load by 50% so at the same level you are hearing the port noise, there would be none with dual and you would have 4-6db more headroom depending on placement.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow that seems like ALOT of sub for one room. I know compared to most people on this site, it's nothing, but for your average family room, that's two pretty giant boxes in the room. I would have figured an end table sized box would be capable of producing some pretty decent bass even in this size room. The room itself isn't all that big (16x20) but it's a vaulted ceiling, 8 ft on one side 18 ft on the other.

I'm wondering if setting it up differently would make it go away. Maybe give up some extension but get rid of the port noise? Perhaps set the subsonic filter higher?

I'm still not entirely sure what the filter does even though I've read up on it...

-SP
post #4 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It looks like the instruction manual says to leave all ports open when the subsonic filter is set at 20hz. Perhaps that would make the difference as well..?

-SP
post #5 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Most folks that want serious bass impact do not use only one sub. I have 3 XV15's in my 15x20x8 room and they leave you gasping for breath.

I am left scratching my head wondering why not try all settings and placement options? Thats the best part of setting up a sub. I assumed you had done this...that being said change the tune to 20hz all ports open and see if it goes away.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Open all the ports and let it breath, you should be good. I would also set the filter back to 25, but a guy can try 20 and see if you can get away with it? If you're having the problem you’re having, don’t say I recommended it. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #7 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Most folks that want serious bass impact do not use only one sub. I have 3 XV15's in my 15x20x8 room and they leave you gasping for breath.

I am left scratching my head wondering why not try all settings and placement options? Thats the best part of setting up a sub. I assumed you had done this...that being said change the tune to 20hz all ports open and see if it goes away.

Yeah I can respect that, but it's not a dedicated room so I don't want a bunch of black boxes all over the place in my family room. Perhaps when I put the dedicated HT in the basement, different story. 3 XV15s would look ridiculous in this room. I already have two towers, the SVS, a stereo stand and 70" tv (plus the projector) in the room and it already feels like too much equipment for a family room. Ideally I would get something like a PB13 Ultra but I'm not shelling out any extra cash right now.

I did try out some different placement options and I think the place it's in right now is the best location. Plus, the way the room is configured, there's not a lot of practical options in that department.

But thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to open the port up and perhaps that will take care of the issue. Thanks!

-SP
post #8 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Open all the ports and let it breath, you should be good. I would also set the filter back to 25, but a guy can try 20 and see if you can get away with it? If you're having the problem you’re having, don’t say I recommended it. smile.gif

Steve am I thinking of the wrong sub? Is the op referring to the plus/2 or pb12+? when you said 25hz tune had me wondering.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve am I thinking of the wrong sub? Is the op referring to the plus/2 or pb12+? when you said 25hz tune had me wondering.

Yeah I was thinking the +/2 that we had so much fun with a few weeks back. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #10 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Probably a stupid question, but what exactly am I losing by setting the filter from 20hz to 25hz. Does that mean nothing below 25hz will be passed to the sub? Wouldn't I want these frequencies, maybe just dialed down a bit? Would I need a parametric EQ for that?

Thanks!

-SP
post #11 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to clarify, this one says PB2 Plus on a small inspection sticker. The subsonic filter settings are 25, 20, 16 and bypass.

-SP
post #12 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does that mean nothing below 25hz will be passed to the sub?

Basically yes.
Quote:
Wouldn't I want these frequencies, maybe just dialed down a bit? Would I need a parametric EQ for that?

You would. I will say that many found that they could indeed set the filter lower if they had the headroom to do so. Of course SVS does not recommend this but none the same it was a practice. If you’re having the problems you state, I wouldn’t recommend you do so it myself. You could also get a outboard EQ such as the mini.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Basically yes.
You would. I will say that many found that they could indeed set the filter lower if they had the headroom to do so. Of course SVS does not recommend this but none the same it was a practice. If you’re having the problems you state, I wouldn’t recommend you do so it myself. You could also get a outboard EQ such as the mini.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to set it at 20hz and leave all of the ports open and see what happens. If that works, problem solved. If it still persists, I'll then set it to 25hz and that should take care of it. If I feel i'm missing anything, maybe I'll pick up an EQ like a used FBD or something. Until I eventually upgrade... :-)

-SP
post #14 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the filter is employed for a different reason than port noise but definitely open her up. cool.gif I still think you ought to set the filter at 25 though untill you get to know your sub better, and then decide from there.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #15 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well the filter is employed for a different reason than port noise but definitely open her up. cool.gif I still think you ought to set the filter at 25 though untill you get to know your sub better, and then decide from there.

Thanks maybe I'll do that to give it some breathing room. Thanks!

-SP
post #16 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

the thing with the 25hz tune is you pretty much lose 10hz of useable extension that you will be missing on with movies. for music i would not worry too much. might be time to talk to SVS and see if they will let you trade that unit in for a new offering. The new 12+ in box or cylinder form would be a nice upgrade.
post #17 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

the thing with the 25hz tune is you pretty much lose 10hz of useable extension that you will be missing on with movies. for music i would not worry too much. might be time to talk to SVS and see if they will let you trade that unit in for a new offering. The new 12+ in box or cylinder form would be a nice upgrade.

Thanks but I can't imagine I would get a lot of dough for this used sub. I'm not looking to spend near a grand at the moment!

-SP
post #18 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 329
One port plugged is for 16hz tune. All ports open is for 20hz and all ports plugged is for sealed mode (on the newer ones) and should be 25hz mode on yours. Call SVS to be sure.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #19 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've got one of these (later called a PB12/Plus2, I believe?) and IIRC I've got two ports blocked in 16Hz tune...

Do you have the manual to hand?

I'm sure it's all ports open at 25Hz tune, 1 port blocked at 20 Hz tune, and 2 ports blocked at 16Hz tune. I can perhaps check later, although I'm not sure where the manual is now... :facepalm: lol
post #20 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman View Post

Thanks maybe I'll do that to give it some breathing room. Thanks!

Sure no problem. Even though your tuned to 25 and have the filter set to 25 it’s not a brick wall, you’re still going to get some output below 25. Once you kind of figure out your sub you can start at a lower MV with the filter set at 20 and work from there. I can’t imagine SVS would be willing to take it as a trade-in regardless how good their bill of rights is, that would be quite a stretch to say the least!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all. I opened up the port and kept it at 20hz. Looks like that solved the issue. It's still putting out some solid bass and still makes the room vibrate plenty with the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.

I'm sure there is a more optimum setting that would make it sound even better but I don't have the time at the moment to try and get there.

Thanks again!

-SP
post #22 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

I've got one of these (later called a PB12/Plus2, I believe?) and IIRC I've got two ports blocked in 16Hz tune...

Do you have the manual to hand?

I'm sure it's all ports open at 25Hz tune, 1 port blocked at 20 Hz tune, and 2 ports blocked at 16Hz tune. I can perhaps check later, although I'm not sure where the manual is now... :facepalm: lol

I don't have the manual but I found this on SVS's website for the PB12 Plus (same as the PB12 Plus2?) which I think is the same as the PB2 plus that I have and it says the following:

http://www.svsound.com/images/svs/doclibrary/pb12-plus_manual.pdf

20hz all open
16hz one plugged
sealed (all plugged)

Not sure if that's the right manual I should be looking at but I can't find one for the PB2 plus.

-SP
post #23 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

But I also found this review that says something different...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/130747-svs-pb2-plus-test-and-review-long/

So based on this review I tried plugging one port at 20hz and that gave me the noise. Unplugging that port and leaving it at 20hz, I'm okay. If I have any issues, I'll move it to 25hz.

-SP
post #24 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Why not contact SVS by web or telephone? I bet they know.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #25 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman View Post

Hello all. So as the title of the post says, my SVS PB2 Plus makes a kind of whistling/chirping sound when there is really deep bass in movies. It only happens during these deep bass scenarios. I don't know if that has something to do with it, but the reason I mention it is because I have 1 of the 3 port holes plugged with the foam plug
What you're hearing is chuffing. There is an issue with designs that alter tuning via blocking ports to give lower extension, and that's by doing so you increase the volume of air vibrating in the ports while reducing the total port area. That results in higher friction between the air in the ports and the port walls, and chuffing is the noise created by that friction. The cure is to either open the ports up or to reduce the volume at which you play the sub. If you can't get the response and volume you want with ports plugged you need to make sure your sub placement is optimal, so that you're getting the most possible from it, and if that doesn't fix the problem you need a second sub.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #26 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

OK good grief! I have had 13 different SVS options, some single, dual and triplicate. You have the old style /2+. The 2 stands for 2 drivers. Sorry for the abbreviation but that’s what it is,not the PB12+ single driver. It comes in a stock 25hz tune with all ports open. I think the rest has been covered if I’m not mistaken?
Quote:
I'm sure there is a more optimum setting that would make it sound even better but I don't have the time at the moment to try and get there.

Thanks again!

You have everything set fine except the filter which we have discussed. That part of the equation is up to you. smile.gif Like said SVS will tell you to set the filter at 25hz

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #27 of 29 Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks both Steve and Bill. Both good to know!

-SP
post #28 of 29 Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I dug out the manual and port usage guidance this morning for you smile.gif but I can't upload them onto this forum and work blocks 'online storage' so can't upload them to photobucket or similar frown.gif

PM your email address and I'll send them over! smile.gif
post #29 of 29 Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote>> The stepped frequency highpass (HP) filter (used in conjunction with the system's tunable duct array) serves to both define the PB12-Plus/2's response below the chosen system tuning frequency as well as protect the driver's from damage. The literature supplied with the PB12-Plus/2 emphasizes the importance of selecting the correct highpass frequency for each of the 3 possible tunings. Once you've been exposed to just how powerful a unit the PB12-Plus/2 is, its easy to imagine how sensible and necessary it is to ensure the correct HP frequency is chosen. Doing so ensures maximum performance and a long, productive lifespan.

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pb12-plus-2

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page