AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

This is an incorrect analogy.

1)The CEA-2010 measurement protocol for subwoofers was established based on *extensive* research into the audibility of harmonic distortion versus frequency. It doesn't seem like you can understand what this means based on your posts so I'll summarize it for you----as long as the subwoofer output passes the CEA-2010 distortion limiting protocol the harmonic distortion will not be an audible factor in normal room environments.

2)In your car analogy your replaced the CEA-2010 protocol for "handling". So the correct usage of this would be...

the car that can drive 210 might have *xyz* handling, but the car that can only do 170 has slightly better handling based on measurements only. However, in decades of research, the measured differences in "handling" can not be identified or perceived by humans.

If the difference in handling cannot be perceived by humans based on decades of peer reviewed research(and all else being equal) why wouldn't I want the vehicle offering more performance?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I agree much of the the distortion would be masked in normal listening conditions, and it seems like the CEA limits are somewhat generous in this respect. Under CEA limits, you could definitely hear distortion if simple sine waves were used, but, of course, that isn't a normal condition. If you A/B compared a sub that went right up against the acceptable CEA distortion limits and one that has virtually no distortion, I am sure you could tell the difference pretty easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a lot of very good information and discussion. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!

A little change of events last night: Someone posted a SVS 25-31 PC Plus Sub locally and I got it for $200!! It was like new condition.

Specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Built-in amplifier: 525 W
Inputs: low-level dual RCA + high-level stereo (filtering the main speakers' signal)
Frequency range: 20-100 Hz, +/- 3 dB
Low roll-off point: 25 Hz, adjustable to 20 or 16 Hz.
Dimensions: cylinder 79 cm tall, 41 cm diameter
Finish: black fabric
Supplied accessories: power cable, two foam port blocking plugs

Blocked 2 ports (supposedly brings it down to 16Hz) since I don't typically go very loud. Hooked it up and with my RF7 system and Pioneer 1522K,

Played Inception when the van jumps off the bridge. DTS Master Audio + THX mode : The feel of the avalanche was INCREDIBLE! Never felt anything like that with a pair of Klipsch RW12Ds.

Got suggestions for me to improve the overall experience please?

Goes to show how much better the SVS (or concluding from discussions here, HSU or PSA) are. Personally I like the cylinder design. I will probably go for PC12 Plus or a VTF 15H in a few months, but for now I can keep calm.

Again thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions!
post #33 of 40 Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayendra View Post

This is a lot of very good information and discussion. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!

A little change of events last night: Someone posted a SVS 25-31 PC Plus Sub locally and I got it for $200!! It was like new condition.

Specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Built-in amplifier: 525 W
Inputs: low-level dual RCA + high-level stereo (filtering the main speakers' signal)
Frequency range: 20-100 Hz, +/- 3 dB
Low roll-off point: 25 Hz, adjustable to 20 or 16 Hz.
Dimensions: cylinder 79 cm tall, 41 cm diameter
Finish: black fabric
Supplied accessories: power cable, two foam port blocking plugs

Blocked 2 ports (supposedly brings it down to 16Hz) since I don't typically go very loud. Hooked it up and with my RF7 system and Pioneer 1522K,

Played Inception when the van jumps off the bridge. DTS Master Audio + THX mode : The feel of the avalanche was INCREDIBLE! Never felt anything like that with a pair of Klipsch RW12Ds.

Got suggestions for me to improve the overall experience please?

Goes to show how much better the SVS (or concluding from discussions here, HSU or PSA) are. Personally I like the cylinder design. I will probably go for PC12 Plus or a VTF 15H in a few months, but for now I can keep calm.

Again thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions!

That's a nice sub for $200 bucks! my advice.. now just sit back and enjoy cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #34 of 40 Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Nice grab for $200. Enjoy!
post #35 of 40 Old 10-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Hey guys very similar question. Got a similar sized room with similar needs -

60/40 movies/music. most of the music is classical.

I haven't really set a budget, but this price range seems very reasonable given my overall 5.1 budget is ~$3000. Considering PSB Image series for the speakers.

SVS PB12 and and HSU MK4 seem like the top choices. Seems like folks generally agree that the HSU might be better for music, but not sure how deep I need to go for classical.
post #36 of 40 Old 10-13-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

With the old BASH amp models, I always felt SVS lagged behind HSU in terms in musicality, but not with the newer line using Sledge amps; I'm sure SVS has also tweaked their drivers in the new models. That said, there are other players to consider like PSA and Rythmik. How big is your room?
post #37 of 40 Old 10-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

With the old BASH amp models, I always felt SVS lagged behind HSU in terms in musicality, but not with the newer line using Sledge amps; I'm sure SVS has also tweaked their drivers in the new models. That said, there are other players to consider like PSA and Rythmik. How big is your room?

Thanks. Definitely looks like either option will work quite well. My room is about 20x15. I haven't looked at PSA, but with Ryhmik it seems like the LV12 is behind the 2 models I mentioned, and the next up starts to breach the budget a bit.
post #38 of 40 Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM

I should mention I currently have the BIC F12
post #39 of 40 Old 10-13-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The SVS PB12-NSD, PSA XV15, or HSU VTF-3 will do nicely in that space. I also wouldn't discount the SVS SB12-NSD or PSA XS15 which are sealed models since the room isn't terribly large and you listen to a fair amount of music.
TheZaha likes this.
post #40 of 40 Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
A SVS SB12-NSD for $500 shipped

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/classifieds-speakers-subwoofers/70378-svs-sb12-nsd-subwoofer.html

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page