AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

They have no reason to lie...
I can think of 36 thousand reasons why. And yes, they are lying, big time, by about 20dB. eek.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 239
It is interesting why they would post numbers that are REALLY easy to check in actual performance. The magico q7's measurements seemed quite linear on one review I read and that speaker matched their claims.

This most awesome subwoofer in the universe claim is so easy to substantiate , it seems silly to put their reputation on the line...

Anyone buying a 36k consumer sub either a) doesnt care about money and simply want the "best" and doesn't even know what that means... Or b) has exacting audiophile standards and expects the product to meet the advertised claims during measurements.

I would think they sell a LOT of magico through magazine reviews and whatnot since most people (including rich people) likely never heard these speakers and very few have a dealer near them. To a company like that, I would think reputation is everything.

I do agree the figure sounds ludicrous... Just seems like an odd claim.

Blazar!
post #153 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

It is interesting why they would post numbers that are REALLY easy to check in actual performance. The magico q7's measurements seemed quite linear on one review I read and that speaker matched their claims.

This most awesome subwoofer in the universe claim is so easy to substantiate , it seems silly to put their reputation on the line...

Anyone buying a 36k consumer sub either a) doesnt care about money and simply want the "best" and doesn't even know what that means... Or b) has exacting audiophile standards and expects the product to meet the advertised claims during measurements.

I would think they sell a LOT of magico through magazine reviews and whatnot since most people (including rich people) likely never heard these speakers and very few have a dealer near them. To a company like that, I would think reputation is everything.

What reputation does Magico actually have, though? Personally it seems they cater to those with more money than sense....

post #154 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:

It could be done, with corner placement in a 10x12 foot room. But that's not how speaker SPLs are measured. It's like claiming a 350HP V6 car can get 80MPG...driving down a 30% grade with a 50 MPH tailwind. rolleyes.gif
Scott Simonian likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #155 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
$36,000 for a black matte finish? Meh.
post #156 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Or b) has exacting audiophile standards and expects the product to meet the advertised claims during measurements.
Measurements are an anathema to audiophiles: most would rather not know and simply believe the hype. Happens all the time with all sorts of audio products. It seems my previous question to you has been answered in the affirmative.
post #157 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

What reputation does Magico actually have, though? Personally it seems they cater to those with more money than sense....

Magico has an excellent reputation in the ultra high-end audio speaker market. You know as well as I that it has nothing to do with sense, and everything to do with money. I suspect most people think that we here on AVS have a lot more money than sense. Perhaps they are right smile.gif. It's all relative. There is something out there to please almost everyone's taste and pocketbook, be it a few hundred dollars or a few million. We had a similar discussion here on the Wilson Audio "Thor's Hammer".
post #158 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 734
I've said it before, anyone buying this sub basically has a crap load of F U money....lol

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #159 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I've said it before, anyone buying this sub basically has a crap load of F U money....lol

+1 this. This has nothing to to with performance, and not even much to do with appearance. This is pure status symbol.
post #160 of 160 Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 239
On another note... The magico "ultimate" horn loaded speaker. Besides the aesthetics which not everyone will like...

Avantgarde acoustics (speakers I own) have been doing horn speakers for a couple of decades and do a great job producing what is likely near the limit of what a horn is capable of. There are several other reputable horn manufacturers.

I have little doubt that the magico ultimate III sounds great... All large horn speakers have a "big" sound and very exciting to listen to when implemented well.

I wonder if some Dubai or Saudi sheik will just shell out the dough for those ... Just because he can.

I would be shocked if an Avantgarde Trio setup wouldn't sound more coherent with a much wider horn loaded frequency range?

And I'm sure most people already think avantgarde's are overpriced (which they basically are).

Blazar!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page