SVS SB 13 Ultra vs Paradigm monitor 10 x 2??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Tv/movie/game room/music room.(not at dedicated home theater). Dimensions at roughly 18'x29' with 9/10' ceilings. Only an area 18'x16' will be needed for the TV couches but it's all one open room. Was pretty set on the SVS but went to a audio store and the guy was pushing me towards two of the Monitor 10's because of the ability to run the "perfect bass" set up Paradigm offers. I would actually prefer to have the Rhythmik FV15HP but do not want to have coffee table sized sub in the room. I am open to any other fairly compact subs you guys may recommended as well.

I will be running this/these sub/s with either Paradigm or Klipsch in walls(once again for aesthetics).

Thank in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

Tv/movie/game room/music room.(not at dedicated home theater). Dimensions at roughly 18'x29' with 9/10' ceilings. Only an area 18'x16' will be needed for the TV couches but it's all one open room. Was pretty set on the SVS but went to a audio store and the guy was pushing me towards two of the Monitor 10's because of the ability to run the "perfect bass" set up Paradigm offers. I would actually prefer to have the Rhythmik FV15HP but do not want to have coffee table sized sub in the room. I am open to any other fairly compact subs you guys may recommended as well.

I will be running this/these sub/s with either Paradigm or Klipsch in walls(once again for aesthetics).

Thank in advance!

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-800-subwoofers

Click on the link for a brand new review of the Paradigm and 4 others. The Monitor 10 only weighs 23 pounds.

The SVS SB-13 Ultra will crush the Monitor both literally and figuratively.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-800-subwoofers

Click on the link for a brand new review of the Paradigm and 4 others. The Monitor 10 only weighs 23 pounds.

The SVS SB-13 Ultra will crush the Monitor both literally and figuratively.
I know 1:1 it will but what about 2:1? Are the bass smoothing benefits of having 2 lesser subs worth maybe not having much output? Or having the room correcting cability that Paradigm offers? I think the SVS has something similar as well, correct?

Thanks for the link and feedback.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 28
That's a huge room, and neither option that you're considering will give you a big amount of bass. I know you don't want a huge sub, but ported is pretty much your only option, unless you don't really care about sub-30hz output. That would be fine if you're primarily listening to music, but you'll lose a lot of the LFE from movies.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

I know 1:1 it will but what about 2:1? Are the bass smoothing benefits of having 2 lesser subs worth maybe not having much output? Or having the room correcting cability that Paradigm offers? I think the SVS has something similar as well, correct?

Thanks for the link and feedback.

Two of something with serious limitations just doesn't get you where you want to be. The PBK can help smooth response but can't do much for the lack of deep bass discussed in the article.

The Monitor 10 had the weakest response in CEA 2010 Ultra-Low Bass, it could only deliver 100.4db from 20-31.5Hz. The SVS PC12-NSD managed 115.6 db.

There is a lot of information in the test. I would carefully read all the reviews. The Monitor 10 would be OK for a music only system but is not suitable for high impact HT use.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn View Post

That's a huge room, and neither option that you're considering will give you a big amount of bass. I know you don't want a huge sub, but ported is pretty much your only option, unless you don't really care about sub-30hz output. That would be fine if you're primarily listening to music, but you'll lose a lot of the LFE from movies.
I don't watch a ton of movies, more sports and TV. Don't get me wrong I would love to have all the 15hz-30hz bass but not at the cost of having a huge sub in the room. I have always liked things very clean, no components or wires visible and no gigantic subwoofers. I am just trying to figure out which is the best sub for what I am looking for. Appreciate the feedback. Have any suggestions on other semi compact subs?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

There is some interest in the JL Audio E112. You should call about availability. Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387232/jl-audio-e-sub-series

You might be able to get one in a real wood veneer enclosure for close to the price of the SVS SB-13 Ultra.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

There is some interest in the JL Audio E112. You should call about availability. Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387232/jl-audio-e-sub-series

You might be able to get one in a real wood veneer enclosure for close to the price of the SVS SB-13 Ultra.
That's great news. I just signed the contract to build our house this week so I have a LOT of time before I need the sub. My buddy has a boat with a 12w7 in it and 6 JL 6.5 components and it sounds fantastic so I am a huge fan of JL stuff. I have looked at the fathom but didn't want to spend the cash. I will keep a close eye on this product.

I truly do appreciate your help selecting a good compact sub.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 328
The SVS PC models while quite large, take up little floor space and are quite subtle in appearance actually. I have a PC12+ in a 14x13 room and it pretty much disappears into the shadows of the corner it's in.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb13 Ultra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page