Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Their models don't take into account room openings and anything being in the room. The effect of these may or may not have much effect on optimum placement depending on the particulars.
Exactly. Since you don't know whether whether those factors will have an effect or, if they do, how much effect, it is worth trying to place subs where they might keep modes from being excited (null locations). In the other thread, it has worked for people with asymmetrical openings in their rooms. There was a chance it might not have, but they were glad they at least tried.

Placement has two huge advantages: it's free (doesn't cost anything to move a sub) and it isn't permament (don't like the results, move the sub back). So if Floyd Toole says that placing a pair of subs at the quarter points of room width will eliminate (or minimize) my first three width modes, I'll give it a try. Nothing to lose. If it turns out he was high at the time he wrote that, then I'll place the first sub where it gets me the best response and place the second sub where it adds the most improvement to the first sub. But I'm not going to reflexively dismiss Toole's suggestion as an impossibility.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Placement has two huge advantages: it's free (doesn't cost anything to move a sub) and it isn't permament (don't like the results, move the sub back). So if Floyd Toole says that placing a pair of subs at the quarter points of room width will eliminate (or minimize) my first three width modes, I'll give it a try. Nothing to lose. If it turns out he was high at the time he wrote that, then I'll place the first sub where it gets me the best response and place the second sub where it adds the most improvement to the first sub. But I'm not going to reflexively dismiss Toole's suggestion as an impossibility.

+1. This really needs to be emphasized.

Of course it works in the other direction, too. How well either works in particular may be determined by things as disparate as theoretical bias vs. room layout vs. the sometimes fickle waf. Or whatever.

It's always a good idea to know what's REALLY driving the project.

hi-fidelity — why fight it?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Take a look at the first paragraph and the last. It appears that objects you would find in most rooms will have little to no impact on LF. Do I have that right?

For purposes of this discussion, basically what the page is stating is that if you're far away from an obstacle (Sofa) that has a width (Or any dimension) less then the wavelength of the sound you're studying, then the sofa won't effect the sound. But if you're close to the sofa, it will. The degree of the effect is probably dependent on many variables.

Since the majority of us listen to bass in reasonably sized rooms. Not auditoriums. Then the effect is real.

Think of it this way...
Suppose a tsunami is going to hit a coast and there's a fishing boat 500' off the coast. Will the fishing boat effect the tsunami. If you're on the beach, it won't change anything since the boat is tiny compared to the wave. But, if you're in a rowboat just behind the fishing boat, it will make a difference.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Take a look at the first paragraph and the last. It appears that objects you would find in most rooms will have little to no impact on LF. Do I have that right?
You do. Where sound from a sub is concerned furniture will have little to no effect.
WhskyTangoFoxtrt likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

A sub falling 4 feet is going to kill someone.
Still looking into the more options for the stand. One option that my home builder recommended. Was to have at least 6in on each side and have the middle counter-sunk 4in sitting on a foam pad.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've seen one of the members turn there sub into an actual end table. But i'm not sure who that member is or remember which thread I saw it in. If anybody knows who it is. Please let me know.