post #61 of 70 Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

^^^I think it's the SB that's being referrd to bass.

Yes I am aware, I typed the wrong initials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a head cold, I can hardly hear anything. Maybe that's it. I'll still give svs a call when I get time off work.
post #63 of 70 Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

So I emailed svs on my problems with my svs sb13 ultra and I got a email back telling me to turn the sub all the way up. Then he said that it's not the gain it's just the input sensitivity control.
What does everyone think of this?
post #64 of 70 Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
So I emailed svs on my problems with my svs sb13 ultra and I got a email back telling me to turn the sub all the way up. Then he said that it's not the gain it's just the input sensitivity control.
What does everyone think of this?

Input sensitivity knobs are there on the pro amps not on consumer electronics. If it is what the SVS guy told you, then dialling it all the way to the max won't hurt. Think of it like a tap at the end of a hose. It increases the flow of the water. But there should be a clipping light on the sub amp to know how much of an input signal is required so you dial the knob to that point.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #65 of 70 Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

I know this may sound condescending but I think your perspective of home theater/home audio music subwoofers has been muddled by your high exposure to pro audio subs with really high SPL upper bass. I didn't read through this entire thread but I wouldn't be surprised if you were a big car subwoofer buff as well. I was pretty big into car subs so switching over to home audio I was underwhelmed at first too. It's relatively easy with high efficiency drivers to get really high output at 40 hz+ but very difficult to get high output below 30hz with those drivers. When you are used to upper bass in the 120-130db + region you definitely won't be happy with a typical home theater geared sub that can do maybe 120db at 40+ hz. On the other hand it may do 110db+ near 20 hz which is something very few pro audio subs will do. Some people go for a high efficiency driver for upper bass and a nice HT sub for the lower stuff or they just get a bunch of subwoofers such that altogether they can get that huge punch they are used to. Most of the cerwin vega stuff is pretty good bang for the buck because you get huge output for relatively low price, however they don't have great extension so they aren't recommended as often as others on forums such as this.

None the less, you definitely have your gain settings totally messed up and I can't imagine how bad it would sound to have your low end that much more prominent than the rest of the music. In comparison, I have a sub set to about 40% on the gain of the sub and -8db on the receiver.. And that is with it calibrated several db's hot.
It is common for people to run equipment 6-10 db hot, and even more if you go to a best buy or some other low end consumer store where they demo speakers/subs. I feel like they just turn the bass all the way up and people are amazed by it even though it sounds like garbage to anyone who has heard a nicely integrated system.
post #66 of 70 Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know this may sound condescending but I think your perspective of home theater/home audio music subwoofers has been muddled by your high exposure to pro audio subs with really high SPL upper bass.

+1

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #67 of 70 Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

I know this may sound condescending but I think your perspective of home theater/home audio music subwoofers has been muddled by your high exposure to pro audio subs with really high SPL upper bass..
I agree. If one's so used to something that's not so good that they think it actually is good they often don't appreciate it when finally exposed to something that really is good. My best friend, for instance, won't drink anything but Budweiser, while I think there's no difference in the taste of Bud when it's going in or an hour later when it's going out. I, OTOH, take a road trip to Canada multiple times a year to bring back cases of their fabulous micro-brews, which he won't touch. And that's OK...more for me. biggrin.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #68 of 70 Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I agree. If one's so used to something that's not so good that they think it actually is good they often don't appreciate it when finally exposed to something that really is good. My best friend, for instance, won't drink anything but Budweiser, while I think there's no difference in the taste of Bud when it's going in or an hour later when it's going out. I, OTOH, take a road trip to Canada multiple times a year to bring back cases of their fabulous micro-brews, which he won't touch. And that's OK...more for me. biggrin.gif

Bill, let us in on when you go to Canada next time and we'll place orders.............
post #69 of 70 Old 09-13-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

OP....you want CV like bass, get a couple of JTR OS LFU. The name says it all about its performance....Orbit Shifter eek.gifeek.gif let the rib cage flex down to subsonic region

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #70 of 70 Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Are all your speakers set to "small"?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page