Please help me decide between Rythmik LV12R, SVS PC12-NSD and PSA XV15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Everyone,

I am no expert or an audiophile but in my recent research these are the three subs that have got me interested and I need some help. I understand this might not be a really apples to apples comparison but I am looking to make the right choice and get the best bang for the buck while achieving my objective as described below

I am looking to have this sub in a fairly large living room/kitchen/breakfast nook space but the main viewing area in the living room will be about 23'x14' with vaulted ceiling, the kitchen is about 14'x14'x12'and it also opens into a nook area about 14'x12'x12'. I understand it is a large space and none of these options would *fill* the space (for lack of a better term) but my intention here is not to bring the house down but have clear, crisp sound from TV, Netflix, Movies (90%) and music (10%) in the main viewing area. Also, in all honesty I won't be cranking this up all that much since the space also opens into the staircase leading to the baby's room.

Given the above which of the above subs should I get:

Rythmik LV12R at $589 shipped is the cheapest and PSA XV15 at $799 is the most expensive and PC12-NSD is right in the middle at $699 shipped. Ignoring the price I think the choice is fairly obvious to go with the PSA XV15 but it is $200 more expensive than the LV12R - is it worth paying the extra $$? I included the SVS in there because I read some reviews where it was concluded that it stacks up pretty well with the PSA XV15 and it is currently $100 cheaper than the XV15. Also, the SVS is also the best looking of the lot in my opinion.

Any thoughts will be appreciated, thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
All 3 are great subs...The XV15 will have the most output and deepest extension, the PC12 has a more linear response, and the LV12 has servo technology. Both PSA and SVS have great warranties, SVS has the best return/trade in policy. I guess weigh all your options and choose the one that fits the bill.
post #3 of 53 Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 535
I would check out the Hsu VTF3. It will have big output on the level of the XV15 but very sharp sound quality and different ways you can adjust the bass sound to your taste.
post #4 of 53 Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I would check out the Hsu VTF3. It will have big output on the level of the XV15 but very sharp sound quality and different ways you can adjust the bass sound to your taste.

I agree the VTF3 is another solid option.
post #5 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your input!

If I may can I add another criterion - wife is not too enthused about the looks as this will be going in the family room which is getting a make over with a modern sectional. Which are the best looking subs out there that also perform well and don't break the bank? Or is that asking for too much?
post #6 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The VTF2 in satin black is not bad looking, and is a hair less than $600 shipped. It is still a bit large, but it has very good performance. The Aperion Bravus 12d is more compact and has a very nice finish, but doesn't have bad performance above 30 Hz. it's $900 though. Dayton has some very easy kits that can save you some money, check out the Titanic 12" kit , that will pack a punch. That is smaller, essentially a 17" cube, so better WAF. Assembly is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. If you don't want to put it together, there is a finished version here, but I would get the kit version, you save $150 just to do a little bit of labor. There is a 15" version here, which is basically a 20" cube, and is close to $1k after shipping.
post #7 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Everyone has pretty much said it all already. All including the HSU are solid options. Given the size of your space, I would go with the PSA XV15 out of those options.
post #8 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post

Any thoughts will be appreciated, thanks in advance for your help!

As you posted, you're asking to much out of too little. With that in mind, the short answer is, the XV15, placed directly behind or to the side of the main listening position and if your main listening position is located in a corner, corner placing the subwoofer, next to the main listening position, would be even better.

Is it worth paying two hundred dollars more? Absolutely because a fifteen inch subwoofer has approximately twice the output capability of a twelve inch subwoofer and in a room that size, using a single subwoofer system, output is everything.

As to which subwoofer looks the best, are you going give it a hug or listen to it's output. If you want both, like everything else in the world, looks and brains are going cost you.

Quote:
Which are the best looking subs out there that also perform well and don't break the bank? Or is that asking for too much?

Yes, you're asking too much. Again, looks and brains are going cost you and based on everything you've posted, (for a three room total of ~7,600 cu ft), you should be looking at a set of four, or more, XV30's. Personally, you should be looking at 18" drivers.

Naturally, people have a normal visceral response, wanting a $10k subwoofer system, bottled in a $0.75k (or less) subwoofer system. Unfortunately, as they explore the issue, they disappointingly find out, it ain't gonna happen.

"Great expectations, major disappointments"

You best economic choice, a flat pack that you assemble and finish yourself which use 18" drivers. If you can find a dual 18" driver enclosure, economically, that will be your best choice. Expect to hide the subwoofer as I'm quite sure it's not going pass wife approval. If you want a retail product that will meet with your wife's approval, my expectation, you're going have to spend upwards of $2.5k for a single subwoofer that meets your specifications.

In a single subwoofer solution, the below image is what you're looking for and for $2,300.00, you can own one and your wife will be putty in your hands. Well, that's my version. Anything less in output and you're setting yourself up for sonic disappointment.

Less expensive, not as pretty and not as much output, the PSA, XV30f. Two of them would be ~$2,700.00.

Yes, I understand my recommendations blow up your budget. Yes, I understand my recommendations have up to zero WAF. My point is to show what you "NEED" for your room vs what you are wanting to put in your room vs natural and reasonable expectations and expected disappointment that will inevitably follow should you buy "ANY" of your single subwoofer choices.

I hope the above helps with your journey.

-
post #9 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

All 3 are great subs...The XV15 will have the most output and deepest extension, the PC12 has a more linear response, and the LV12 has servo technology. Both PSA and SVS have great warranties, SVS has the best return/trade in policy. I guess weigh all your options and choose the one that fits the bill.

Pretty much sums it up. Also, like ShadyJ said, check out the HSU VTF3.

As long as your expectations are reasonable, which its sound like they are, you should be happy with any of them.

Also consider dual svs pb-1000's. more expensive than any of those but will have more output than any of them and cover that space better.

I just got a single pb1000 and I'm impressed so far. I'll be putting it in a space bigger than yours with similar expectations. I plan on adding a second one later.

What is the rest of your audio setup?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #10 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Pretty much sums it up. Also, like ShadyJ said, check out the HSU VTF3.

As long as your expectations are reasonable, which its sound like they are, you should be happy with any of them.

Also consider dual svs pb-1000's. more expensive than any of those but will have more output than any of them and cover that space better.

I just got a single pb1000 and I'm impressed so far. I'll be putting it in a space bigger than yours with similar expectations. I plan on adding a second one later.

What is the rest of your audio setup?

Dual PB1000's would not equal the MK4 or the XV15 in terms of output and extension. I agree duals would do a better job of smoothing the response.

The PB1000 is 3db down from the PC/PB12NSD,
post #11 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dual PB1000's would not equal the MK4 or the XV15 in terms of output and extension. I agree duals would do a better job of smoothing the response.

The PB1000 is 3db down from the PC/PB12NSD,

Possibly but I bet it would be nit picking. 1-2db difference

SVS told me dual pb1000's have more output than a single NSD so I'm betting it will be similar vs. the others mentioned.

Lets say as much or more then

I would still say dual pb1000's are better than a single of any of the others mentioned.

post #12 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In this recent shootout in Sound&Vision, both the SVS PC-12NSD and the XV15 are tested. Please read it over.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-800-subwoofers

Instead of the XV15, think about the sealed SV15. Somewhat less of a presence in the room.

The HSU VTF-15H is available in rosenut and some thought went into the appearance (of the front) of this powerful sub.
post #13 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Its not as much or more. I agree 2 Pb1000's would have 2-3db advantage over the NSD, but It takes 2 NSD subs to equal the XV15 or LFM1-EX(similar to the VTF3) from 31hz on up. 2 Pb1000's might equal the XV15 or VTF3 in the 20-30hz range, but not bove or below that. Also the SVS PB1000 has a 4th order hpf which will not allow much if any extension past the port tune. Ricci measured 94.4db output out of the XV15 @ 12.5hz in room.

I agree a few DB is not much but dual PB1000's would be down 5-6db in the 40-80hz range to a single XV15...that is significant.

Data-bass.com/systems

Now I am not trying to start a debate, I like your thinking! I agree dual subs are a better choice. I would definately go with a Dual PB1000's or Dual LV12's over a single XV15 or VTF3.
post #14 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The VTF2 in satin black is not bad looking, and is a hair less than $600 shipped. It is still a bit large, but it has very good performance. The Aperion Bravus 12d is more compact and has a very nice finish, but doesn't have bad performance above 30 Hz. it's $900 though. Dayton has some very easy kits that can save you some money, check out the Titanic 12" kit , that will pack a punch. That is smaller, essentially a 17" cube, so better WAF. Assembly is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. If you don't want to put it together, there is a finished version here, but I would get the kit version, you save $150 just to do a little bit of labor. There is a 15" version here, which is basically a 20" cube, and is close to $1k after shipping.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will look into them. Unfortunately, I am not a very handy person even though as you mention it doesn't sound like its a lot of work but I don't think I will be able to achieve the finish - I just know somehow I'll end up screwing it up!
post #15 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

As you posted, you're asking to much out of too little. With that in mind, the short answer is, the XV15, placed directly behind or to the side of the main listening position and if your main listening position is located in a corner, corner placing the subwoofer, next to the main listening position, would be even better.

Is it worth paying two hundred dollars more? Absolutely because a fifteen inch subwoofer has approximately twice the output capability of a twelve inch subwoofer and in a room that size, using a single subwoofer system, output is everything.

As to which subwoofer looks the best, are you going give it a hug or listen to it's output. If you want both, like everything else in the world, looks and brains are going cost you.
Yes, you're asking too much. Again, looks and brains are going cost you and based on everything you've posted, (for a three room total of ~7,600 cu ft), you should be looking at a set of four, or more, XV30's. Personally, you should be looking at 18" drivers.

Naturally, people have a normal visceral response, wanting a $10k subwoofer system, bottled in a $0.75k (or less) subwoofer system. Unfortunately, as they explore the issue, they disappointingly find out, it ain't gonna happen.

"Great expectations, major disappointments"

You best economic choice, a flat pack that you assemble and finish yourself which use 18" drivers. If you can find a dual 18" driver enclosure, economically, that will be your best choice. Expect to hide the subwoofer as I'm quite sure it's not going pass wife approval. If you want a retail product that will meet with your wife's approval, my expectation, you're going have to spend upwards of $2.5k for a single subwoofer that meets your specifications.

In a single subwoofer solution, the below image is what you're looking for and for $2,300.00, you can own one and your wife will be putty in your hands. Well, that's my version. Anything less in output and you're setting yourself up for sonic disappointment.

Less expensive, not as pretty and not as much output, the PSA, XV30f. Two of them would be ~$2,700.00.

Yes, I understand my recommendations blow up your budget. Yes, I understand my recommendations have up to zero WAF. My point is to show what you "NEED" for your room vs what you are wanting to put in your room vs natural and reasonable expectations and expected disappointment that will inevitably follow should you buy "ANY" of your single subwoofer choices.

I hope the above helps with your journey.

-

Beeman - I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your response! Like I mentioned in my earlier post I don't expect nor is my goal to achieve *awesome* output (for lack of a better room) in my space. The dedicated HT space is on the cards at some point and that's where I would be looking to do that.

I am not looking for a $10k sub output from a 0.75k sub as you put it (you get what you pay for). My expectations are modest and I don't want to spend more when I could have potentially achieved it with less. To clarify that further, if I am only going to listen only moderate levels majority of the time - will the output I am going to get from LVR12 comparable to XV15? If it does, then from my perspective it makes sense to save the extra couple hundred. But on the other hand, if there is noticeable difference between the two then I don't mind spending the extra $$. The answer might very well be, both won't sound great but XV15 will sound *significantly* better than LVR12 then again the extra $$ makes sense to me. Hopefully that clarifies my perspective a little bit?

Now, with the looks part of it - again I am not looking for the sub to double up as a high end furniture piece but don't want it to stand out too much. Again nothing major but something with a glossy finish in black would blend better than a more *wood box* looking sub. That is one of the major reasons why I was considering the cylindrical SVS sub in the first place

I know and understand that the viewing area doesn't mean much when it opens up into other areas in the house that the sub will try to fill but I find it difficult to comprehend that the bass will sound exactly the same all over the space (correct me if I am wrong). I really don't care what it sounds like in a corner in my breakfast nook for instance but I do care how it would sound when I am sitting on my sectional in front of the TV.

Someone asked - my speakers are paradigm monitors and these are powered by the pioneer 1522K (picked one up when Costco had the deal going)

Again, thanks everyone for your input
post #16 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
I am looking to have this sub in a fairly large living room/kitchen/breakfast nook space but the main viewing area in the living room will be about 23'x14' with vaulted ceiling, the kitchen is about 14'x14'x12'and it also opens into a nook area about 14'x12'x12'. I understand it is a large space and none of these options would *fill* the space (for lack of a better term) but my intention here is not to bring the house down but have clear, crisp sound from TV, Netflix, Movies (90%) and music (10%) in the main viewing area. Also, in all honesty I won't be cranking this up all that much since the space also opens into the staircase leading to the baby's room.

Even though you speak of keeping your MV at a modest level, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got rather spirited every now and then and plus the fact that headroom doesn’t detract from SQ, my suggestion would be to go with the XV. Your room gain is going to be working against you along with cu ft, so it will also aid in that respect. The XV has a small footprint considering it’s output imo, so that’s also a good thing in integrating it into your living space. Happy shopping..

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #17 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

I am not looking for a $10k sub output from a 0.75k sub as you put it (you get what you pay for). My expectations are modest and I don't want to spend more when I could have potentially achieved it with less.

In the case of subwoofers, nobody can achieve more with less. It ain't gonna happen. The only time one gets more from less is corner loaded or nearfield placement. My post and comments are based on your posted comments. I'm trying to respond to your posted thoughts and described situation. You have a "HUGE!" room that eats subwoofers as a snack, not a main course.

As to sound and the breakfast nook, if open to the viewing room, the breakfast nook will eat the sound produced in the viewing room. Sound waves are interconnected and reinforced and if they're not reinforced, all that you want, will be bled away. Movie sound tracks are not designed for moderate applications but are based on "headroom." Action movie soundtracks are based around the concept of drag races, not stock car racing where the idea of a stock car race is maintain a constant speed over a punishing distance. Instead, action movies are mastered to go from zero to three hundred and back to zero again.....in the proverbial beat of a heart; over and over and over. By comparison, speaker based sound systems and most music, are mastered more along the lines of, by comparison, would qualify as moderate applications.

Subwoofers are the enigma of sound reproduction. A poorly placed subwoofer will suck the life out of it's own output. Subwoofer reproduced sound waves don't play and get along with their own kind. As they run into each other, they cancel each other out; reduced output. A "HUGE!" room will suck the life out of a subwoofer's output. Adjacent rooms will suck the life out of or prevent one from achieving what they want. And in your case, "moderate levels." Those are the physical rules of the Universe. Of course if I had had a say in the writing of these rules........I would have made life much more convenient.

Based on your comment, go with your visceral response and buy a XV15, post your results and go from there. You'll be happier that way.

-
post #18 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, I am not a very handy person even though as you mention it doesn't sound like its a lot of work but I don't think I will be able to achieve the finish

The finish is already done. The cabinet is already assembled and ready to go. All you have to do is glue in some foam, screw in the amplifier, and then screw in the driver.
post #19 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Between the lv12r and the vx, yes the couple hundred dollars is worth it if you are looking for the most output from one sub.

Which one sounds better? That's hard to say. I have not heard either but the rythmik should sound best in its high damping setting which reduces its output at lower frequencies.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. Placement will be key. If you went with the cheaper lv12r or pb1000, you could always add another down the road and not be too much over the price of the vx.

It's a tough call. That's why all these ID companies have trial periods.

Do you have a sub now? What will you be comparing the new sub to?

post #20 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
and then screw in the driver.

I wouldn’t expect you to know this shady but that driver is a pain in the ars to screw in with what they supply. This is close to what they used to supply http://www.parts-express.com/term/hurricane-nut?srch=hurricane+nut I don’t know if they still use the type that the whole barrel is seated in the wood anymore, but they can be a real bugger. You have to have everything lined up precise and then it’s still hard to get them started. If you strip one out then you have another issue digging it out causing damage.. the threads might be sae, very fine. Some would argue for those types of lighter drivers good course wood screws are fine if you’re not going to bang it around to much in moving and such. You can put a backer on also. Anyway the screws do work well once placed but some prefer the washer, screw, nut option over for heavier drivers.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I wouldn’t expect you to know this shady but that driver is a pain in the ars to screw in with what they supply. This is close to what they used to supply http://www.parts-express.com/term/hurricane-nut?srch=hurricane+nut I don’t know if they still use the type that the whole barrel is seated in the wood anymore, but they can be a real bugger. You have to have everything lined up precise and then it’s still hard to get them started. If you strip one out then you have another issue digging it out causing damage.. the threads might be sae, very fine. Some would argue for those types of lighter drivers good course wood screws are fine if you’re not going to bang it around to much in moving and such. You can put a backer on also. Anyway the screws do work well once placed but some prefer the washer, screw, nut option over for heavier drivers.

Also some of the reviews report cabinet vibrations from lack of internal bracing. Some have had to add bracing and reported that it fixed the issue.
post #22 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also some of the reviews report cabinet vibrations from lack of internal bracing. Some have had to add bracing and reported that it fixed the issue.

Yes.. mm I think there is maybe small brace in the 15” MK option?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #23 of 53 Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:

Now, with the looks part of it - again I am not looking for the sub to double up as a high end furniture piece but don't want it to stand out too much. Again nothing major but something with a glossy finish in black would blend better than a more *wood box* looking sub. That is one of the major reasons why I was considering the cylindrical SVS sub in the first place

You might let the wife take a look at the pictures of the HSU VTF-3 MK4 in Rosewood and the VTF-15H finish, in case she likes it. smile.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #24 of 53 Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
neo_ny....

the option you pm'ed me would be your best bet. I won't repeat it in the thread in case someone else tries to scoop it up from under you. These 12 and 15" subs you've mentioned in this thread are too small for your room - initially they may not disappoint you --- that is until you've heard what a powerhouse sub can do, and then you'll be selling them off and upgrading - so don't spin your wheels - spend the money now - buy something worthwhile and enjoy the heck out of it for a long time.

If you don't go the route you pm'ed me I have a couple other suggestions for you out of our used classified section. These are good subs and quite a bit superior to what you are discussing in this thread for your use case in your large room.

Option 1)

This box. Only the completed one = $225ish maybe? + shipping?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471463/2-18-curved-sub-enclosures

A Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 subwoofer - $250
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472

An Inuke DSP 1000 amp - $250
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000DSP-iNuke-Power-Amplifier/dp/B005EHIN3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378873207&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke+dsp+1000

If you have Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 that should be sufficient to provide you subwoofer EQ --- if no equivalent auto eq function you'll want to learn REW or buy an Omnimic to help you use the Inuke's DSP functionality to flatten your sealed sub's frequency response.

For $750ish the above setup would be very impressive.

Option 2)

You mentioned SVS tube subs were an option you were considering? These are a good price and a quality product, and large step up from the little brother model you were considering...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488982/svs-pc13-ultra-with-5-year-sledge-amp-warranty

Otherwise you could consider a subwoofer flat pack and DIY box setup from the DIY assembly group....if you want to roll up your sleeves...
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/sealed-subwoofer-flatpacks.html

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 53 Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
here's a couple more out of the classified as I turned a few more pages in:

Option) FTW
JTR Captivator passive
umm get this one! It's fantastic and with a $275 EP4000 amp will just blow your mind on how loud and clean a powerful 18" subwoofer can be. This is my favorite subwoofer ever.
(fellow JTR captivator owner bias included free of charge biggrin.gif )
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488654/jtr-cap-2400-oak-upgrade-passive-model

Option 3) - these are nice subs - I heard one in Omaha at a HuskerOmaha's meet I attended in 2011. eD has amp problems on occasion, but if the amp eventually failed you could replace it with a passive Inuke amp for about $250ish and be no worse for the wear.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488954/ed-a7s-450-subwoofer-i-paid-850

Option 4) a pair of Epik empires for $1k -- they won't hit as low for movie use - but they sound really good and never show their limits. You can read my impressions of them at the 2011 KC subwoofer meet.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486160/epik-empire-subs-have-2-of-em
I really like Epik Empire subs - most people do. They are a great sub for the money - and at this money are really something worth looking at.

For those of you wondering why I have upped the price bracket a bit over what OP originally suggested - it's because in PM he sent me he said that might be possible if the subs were worth the extra. They are. I'm with BeeMan's comments on this scenario. Do it right the first time.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #26 of 53 Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 725
I'm a believer in sealed subs. While well designed and well made ported subs can have tight and defined sound, it is usually the expensive ones that do. Sealed subs all do. You really can't help but get tight and defined performance from acoustic suspension.
The compromise for that sound quality is that sealed subs are less efficient, of course, and don't go as low. I solved the dllemma by building my own 15" sealed sub and I would put it up against any 12" sub made by anybody. 15" sealed get pretty salty from the manufacturers. So in your shoes I would choose the best 12" sealed sub I could find. It will have all the bass extension you need to reproduce movie LFE and will play plenty loud in a normal sized room. The difference in sound quality when compared to a lower end ported sub will be quite obvious and, to me at least, is worth the compromises. My pick would be the $500 sealed 12" sub from SVS. It fits your budget and should sound terrific. Two of them would sound even better.
post #27 of 53 Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I'm a believer in sealed subs. While well designed and well made ported subs can have tight and defined sound, it is usually the expensive ones that do. Sealed subs all do. You really can't help but get tight and defined performance from acoustic suspension.
I don't agree with this. There are a lot of ways to screw up a sealed sub. I'm sure you could easily find examples of bad sealed subs.
post #28 of 53 Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

neo_ny....

the option you pm'ed me would be your best bet. I won't repeat it in the thread in case someone else tries to scoop it up from under you. These 12 and 15" subs you've mentioned in this thread are too small for your room - initially they may not disappoint you --- that is until you've heard what a powerhouse sub can do, and then you'll be selling them off and upgrading - so don't spin your wheels - spend the money now - buy something worthwhile and enjoy the heck out of it for a long time.

If you don't go the route you pm'ed me I have a couple other suggestions for you out of our used classified section. These are good subs and quite a bit superior to what you are discussing in this thread for your use case in your large room.

Option 1)

This box. Only the completed one = $225ish maybe? + shipping?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471463/2-18-curved-sub-enclosures

A Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 subwoofer - $250
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472

An Inuke DSP 1000 amp - $250
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000DSP-iNuke-Power-Amplifier/dp/B005EHIN3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378873207&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke+dsp+1000

If you have Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 that should be sufficient to provide you subwoofer EQ --- if no equivalent auto eq function you'll want to learn REW or buy an Omnimic to help you use the Inuke's DSP functionality to flatten your sealed sub's frequency response.

For $750ish the above setup would be very impressive.

Option 2)

You mentioned SVS tube subs were an option you were considering? These are a good price and a quality product, and large step up from the little brother model you were considering...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488982/svs-pc13-ultra-with-5-year-sledge-amp-warranty

Otherwise you could consider a subwoofer flat pack and DIY box setup from the DIY assembly group....if you want to roll up your sleeves...
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/sealed-subwoofer-flatpacks.html

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate the time you took to get back to me - I will take a closer look at all the different options you provided me.

Everyone else who took the time to give me your thoughts appreciate your time as well. I am taking a longer term view on the subs than I initially did so have decided to up my budget to around the $1k mark to better future proof myself (at least for a few years).

That is not to say I am any closer to making a decision but I will post back on here once I have made one!
post #29 of 53 Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
LV12R is going to be the lowest distortion sub in this price range, there's even switches in the back to switch between extension (for music) and spl (for movie).

If you just want boom, then the PSA is your best bet.
post #30 of 53 Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
there's even switches in the back to switch between extension (for music) and spl (for movie).

It's the other way i.e. extension for movies and spl for music.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page