Sub positioning recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hello guys

I am in the process of changing my veteran sub with something new and wanted to get your opinion which might be the correct position to place it in my room.

My living room is as in photo and I have no available place on tv unit wall. I am thinking to put it on number 2 but wanted to make sure with your help.

I have given all metric and imperial units for the size of my room. I would really appreciate if you can also tell me what sort of a sub would suit me best

Emotiva XPR-5 | Marantz AV8801 | Klipsch RF-7II Front | Klipsch RF-82II Surround | Klipsch RC-52II Center | Elitescreen Vmax2 120" screen | Epson 5910 Pj | Playstation 3
On the way : Oppo 105 BRP | Klipsch RC-64II Center | Sunfire HRS-12 Sub | Emotiva XPR-2 | Klipsch SB-61II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
You should place the sub where it gives you the best frequency response at the main listening position.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Liked: 11
Yeah, you really just need to place it in each spot and listen to some familiar music or movies and pick which spot sounds the best. If you have the time and equipment, then take some measurements with an SPL meter and some computer software to see the response curves, but otherwise, just do the listening and let your ears guide you.

Or... place the sub on your main seat (like straight back) and do the sub-crawl. You need to crawl around the room and pick the spot where the bass sounds loudest and most uniform across the frequency range.

Or... try a placement calculator like this: http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If you want to know for sure, get a measurement tool like REW or OmniMic.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sofa's center seat directly in front of the TV (MLP?) has some room mode problems. You may get a smoother response if you move the sofa forward a bit so it isn't dead center of the room. My WAG is that sub position #1 will work out best, but measure so you're not just guessing. Once the sub is optimally positioned, re-run whatever EQ setup routine (eg. Audyssey) that your AVR or Pre/Pro may have.

Here's a subwoofer setup article that you may find of interest:
http://nousaine.com/pdfs/Subwoofer%20Secrets.pdf
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
hello guys

I am in the process of changing my veteran sub with something new and wanted to get your opinion which might be the correct position to place it in my room.

My living room is as in photo and I have no available place on tv unit wall. I am thinking to put it on number 2 but wanted to make sure with your help.

I have given all metric and imperial units for the size of my room. I would really appreciate if you can also tell me what sort of a sub would suit me best

Your current MLP is almost in a NULL no matter where you place your sub.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM

Liked: 16
move the couch toward the speakers as much as you can to get as far away from the middle of the room as possible I have a similar arrangement and had absolutely zero bass in my MLP with Hugh Jass subs. I moved my couch up toward my speakers by about 8 inches. This gave me a big improvement in bass, however it strayed from the ideal triangulation with the main speakers. Solution was toe in.

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM

Liked: 16
and get a cross spectrum Umik and REW and some sort of manual dsp for the subs.

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz View Post

move the couch toward the speakers as much as you can to get as far away from the middle of the room as possible I have a similar arrangement and had absolutely zero bass in my MLP with Hugh Jass subs. I moved my couch up toward my speakers by about 8 inches. This gave me a big improvement in bass, however it strayed from the ideal triangulation with the main speakers. Solution was toe in.

can you please explain why I should move couch towards the speaker and whats wrong being in the middle of the room? just trying to learn...

Emotiva XPR-5 | Marantz AV8801 | Klipsch RF-7II Front | Klipsch RF-82II Surround | Klipsch RC-52II Center | Elitescreen Vmax2 120" screen | Epson 5910 Pj | Playstation 3
On the way : Oppo 105 BRP | Klipsch RC-64II Center | Sunfire HRS-12 Sub | Emotiva XPR-2 | Klipsch SB-61II
post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

can you please explain why I should move couch towards the speaker and whats wrong being in the middle of the room? just trying to learn...
If the reflected wave off the wall in the back of the room meets the original wave at the listening position 180 degrees out of phase there will be a cancellation at that frequency. For the subwoofer bandwidth of 20-80 Hz cancellation will occur at some frequency when the distance from that wall to the LP is between 3.5 and 14 feet.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkat View Post

Here's a pretty good tutorial on the topic:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=48286
MagicTK likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Here's a pretty good tutorial on the topic:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=48286

That's definitely a great reference site. Loads of information.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page