Have I got a lemon? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Hey all - Well I bit and went out and got a new SVS PB1000 to replace my low powered klipsch. It just came today and absolutely dwarfs it in size.... however to my surprise when I unhooked the small klip and plugged this in, I got what seemed like less bass then the other one ( 55 rms vs 300 ) .. I thought maybe it was audyssey, so I ran that with the new sub incorporated, and seemed to get only a little more bass out of the SVS ... I turned it up to 12 o'clock ( to be within +/- 3db in Audyssey, which is strange in a sub this size as is ), got within 1.5 on my Denon, but the bass still sounds muted. Granted if I turn it up a little more I can feel it, but it sounds really bad. There's no tone to the bass - just basically one note " Mud " ... This surely can't be the norm, as this is a much recommended sub here on AVS. I've 1. switched sub cables to see if it made a diff, nope, 2. Made sure I've got it plugged into LFE ( obviously ) - 3. All my speakers are set to small and set to cross at 80 as per usual 4. Double checked phase and that the crossover on the sub is off ( or set to lfe all the way to the right in this case ... I dunno, Any idea?
Again If I turn the thing 3/4 full ( after audyssey ) I can definitely hear the one note pounding away, but again it's just one note, doesn't even sound like music .. just a one note rumble that actually makes music sound terrible. I tried with a couple movies I've got ( where I know there should be some major bass ) and it doesn't sound any louder or deeper then the 55rms Klipsch. Lemon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Change the sub location. If Klipsch sounded fantastic in one spot, any other sub may not perform as good in the same very spot. Your room is the biggest enemy of sound. First run some REW sweeps and find the optimum spot for the sub. Then we'll take it on from there. PB1K is no slouch.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Change the sub location. If Klipsch sounded fantastic in one spot, any other sub may not perform as good in the same very spot. Your room is the biggest enemy of sound. First run some REW sweeps and find the optimum spot for the sub. Then we'll take it on from there. PB1K is no slouch.

No doubt, it's supposed to be awesome. Thus the thinking it's messed up. I unfortunately don't have a REW ready mic yet, but will try moving it around. My main concern is the one note tonality. I mean it doesn't just sound muted, it sounds terrible eek.gif absolutely no tone to it, absolutely just one note. I'll move it around some more.

Update: There's got to be a problem, this thing is completely monotone. I can put my ear up to it and kind of make out some tone or notes a bit, but basically it's just a monotone thump.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

How big is your room and a bit on where the sub is located?

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Sounds like your set up is good. The new sub should sound better
Than the klipsch in the same spot. Period. I think you got a lemon.
Call SVS.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

How big is your room and a bit on where the sub is located?

It's 12x 16 with 8 foot ceilings. I've tried it at the front of the room in at the 1/4 and 3/4th spot, and along the side of the wall about 2/5ths into the room. This is the 4th sub I've had in this space, and by FAR the most powerful on paper .... but man does it sound messy. I'm not panicking - I know that sometimes even great companies have malfunctioning products, and I know that SVS has a great reputation for great products with superior customer service, and am fully confident in eventually being happy with them. But where in this particular item is concerned, It's Got to be messed up. It actually sounds like what a blown speaker sounds like - just hollow with no tone. Some bass - nothing to right home about at the half way point, but pretty much like a loud blown speaker that won't play any notes - just makes noise.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's 12x 16 with 8 foot ceilings. I've tried it at the front of the room in at the 1/4 and 3/4th spot, and along the side of the wall about 2/5ths into the room. This is the 4th sub I've had in this space, and by FAR the most powerful on paper .... but man does it sound messy. I'm not panicking - I know that sometimes even great companies have malfunctioning products, and I know that SVS has a great reputation for great products with superior customer service, and am fully confident in eventually being happy with them. But where in this particular item is concerned, It's Got to be messed up. It actually sounds like what a blown speaker sounds like - just hollow with no tone. Some bass - nothing to right home about at the half way point, but pretty much like a loud blown speaker that won't play any notes - just makes noise.

Best call up SVS. I'm sure they are great at serving their customers when it comes to faulty amps or blown drivers. Even by sending a sub tone from avr, one can make out if the sub is working fine or not.

Also, I reckon you invest in a mic for REW. It will make your job easier and snappier. It is not mandatory for 2 subs with different specs and built to sound amazing in the same location.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #8 of 13 Old 09-11-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This is interesting. I just swapped my avr to a refurb Denon 1713 today and was having the same issue with my pb1000. I thought it was because I had not ran Audyssey yet. I'm still not sure how I fixed it. I think it was after I did a factory reset on the avr. Is the sub cable plugged into the sub pre out on the avr? Make sure the connector isn't making contact with the metal amp face. Then go through all your menus and make sure the sub is correct.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #9 of 13 Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

This is interesting. I just swapped my avr to a refurb Denon 1713 today and was having the same issue with my pb1000. I thought it was because I had not ran Audyssey yet. I'm still not sure how I fixed it. I think it was after I did a factory reset on the avr. Is the sub cable plugged into the sub pre out on the avr? Make sure the connector isn't making contact with the metal amp face. Then go through all your menus and make sure the sub is correct.

Well I didn't have much of a chance to fiddle with it today, as I was having the floors in my APT redone, however did do a microprocessor reset and a full auddysey run through about 4 hours ago. The bass has improved somewhat, actually more in the last hour or so - not so much after the reset. Could there actually be truth behind a subwoofer break - in period? It's still not where I want it to be musically, It still sounds kind of one note-y. For home theater it leaves no doubt that it's powerful as all heck though. I'm going to wait until Monday to make a decision, and see if there is more improvement with another 15 or 20 hours on it. If not I'll send it back and upgrade to the SB12-NSD sealed SVS just to be sure I'm getting a more musical beast. I'll let everyone know smile.gif

post #10 of 13 Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Can you try moving the sub even a little?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #11 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Can you try moving the sub even a little?

I've tried it in a few positions as is. Although I haven't done the sub crawl, as I'm really limited to the positions I've tried. Again, I'll try to give the sub some more time... but am definitely leaning towards the next sub up at this point.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

Change the sub location. If Klipsch sounded fantastic in one spot, any other sub may not perform as good in the same very spot.

Okay, color me stupid......everybody else does. tongue.gif

Why can't another sub perform as good as another in the same location? The reason I ask, we're dealing with the impersonal nature of a room's acoustics and a room's acoustics doesn't care who's making the noise. All a room cares about is reflected sound and where the reflected sound reflects to and where the conflicts of the reflected sound occurs.

...confused.gif

Today, Crayola introduces a new generic color: the "Stupid" color (which, at one time or another, everybody qualifies) which replaces the grossly outdated "Skin" color as if everybody is pink. Crayola also offers it's apologies for this poorly thought out generalization and acknowledges the wrong of this choice of Crayon color names.

(they have to have done this as I gave up coloring many decades ago........not enough talent to continue coloring)

-
post #13 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a Klipsch Sub-12 (down firing driver + rear firing port) that sounded great within its limitation about 3ft away from the corner. Any closer to the rear wall and it would get boomy within 30-50hz passband (validated with REW). Mains were and still are 9.6 feet away from MLP. My sub would be in phase with mains at 16.8ft sub distance setting. Physical distance was 10ft.
My current sub PSB S300 (front firing driver + down firing port) is about 5 inches from the wall behind it. The sub distance comes at 21.6ft to phase align with the mains. Response is roughly the same as it was with Klipsch with more depth down to 22-23hz. That's coz it digs deeper.

At the same physical distance, this sub has roughly the same hump (7dB) within 30-50hz passband. If I push it into the wall behind it, the peak drops to 3dB.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page