post #751 of 757 Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

What is your crossover set at for the sub/main spice? What speaker(s) were playing when you took that measurement?

Assuming you have an 80 Hz crossover, that bump at 110 Hz is coming from the speakers, not the subs. You can't impact a speaker-induced issue with an EQ on the subwoofer channel. You can only impact a speaker induced problem with speaker placement or an EQ on the speaker channel.

In order to isolate the issues, you only want to measure one speaker/subwoofer combo at a time. Start with just the CC/subwoofer splice. Put your receiver in Dolby PLIIx Movie Mode, (or Cinema Mode, which ever your receiver calls it.) This will rout all the signal to just the CC. Show us that graph. Show the CC speaker by itself, the sub by itself and then the two playing together.

Then put the receiver back in Stereo and disconnect the left speaker. Repeat the above measurements. That will show us the R speaker, the sub, and the R/sub splice. Then reconnect the left speaker and disconnect the right speaker, and repeat the measurements. This will show us the L speaker, the sub, and the L/sub splice.

Craig

Welcome back Craig. Long time no see. I wish I had read your post before I made some changes. I moved the speakers about a foot off from sides. This made the speakers get away from sub ports as well. Then I also noticed that I had much bigger angel between center and side. So I reduced it to about 20 degrees. Then I read Audyssey FAQ and according to them, its very important to take all points readings and each position of mic doesn't correspond to seating arrangement. Also each position should not exceed 2 feet of distance from center position. So I took 8 points making sure each position is not beyond 2 feet and also followed the diagram they have showing each position. Here is the reult with subtrim to -5 on subs

And here is one with upto 1K hz

Now everything looks good :-) I think the main difference came with L/R speakers placement and not 8 point calibration. When I moved L/R speakers 1 feet off the walls and reduced their toeing a bit, I got good results even when I calibrated for 1 point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 757 Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For testing, I just watched King Kong and the scene where dinosaurs are running and escaping. My God .... I sounds amazing. Absolutely stunning. I can hear every bit of details Replacing the center peace with a tower and having all front speakers matching made a very good difference. The dialogs are crystal clear. Bass is absolutely mind blowing. From low bass to high has a very smooth transaction. Watching that scene was very over whelming. Having surround mounted 3 feet behind and I can hear even the mosquitoes flying around. I'm totally satisfied. Now I can call my sound system an impressive one.
Player3 likes this.
post #753 of 757 Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post

not sure what you mean by a dip around 45hz? It's a house curve. so should be increasing from cross over till 20hz.Its not a dip if its increasing or decreasing slowly. Mine goes up to 45 with nice increment then flattens out around 45hz. I did try to see if there is a big difference if I get a house curve from 80 straight to 20 using mini dsp but didn't find a big difference. So sattled with this one. Its better not to use mini dsp if you can get away with it. So far bass sounds really good specially in suspense scene where low pass is played. I can feel bass in my chest very nicely. I don't even have transducers connected yet and feel some vibration.

To each his own.....some prefer a house curve, some don't. smile.gif This preference is sometimes dictated by the room itself, and it seems your room likes a house curve - and that's awesome for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Assuming you have an 80 Hz crossover, that bump at 110 Hz is coming from the speakers, not the subs. You can't impact a speaker-induced issue with an EQ on the subwoofer channel. You can only impact a speaker induced problem with speaker placement or an EQ on the speaker channel.

Not true...if it's close to the crossover point, you can most certainly effect it with sub EQ. With my crossover at 80hz, I was able to tame a 100hz peak with the Mini DSP. Probably better to do it with room treatment, but it works for now. smile.gif
post #754 of 757 Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

For testing, I just watched King Kong and the scene where dinosaurs are running and escaping. My God .... I sounds amazing. Absolutely stunning. I can hear every bit of details Replacing the center peace with a tower and having all front speakers matching made a very good difference. The dialogs are crystal clear. Bass is absolutely mind blowing. From low bass to high has a very smooth transaction. Watching that scene was very over whelming. Having surround mounted 3 feet behind and I can hear even the mosquitoes flying around. I'm totally satisfied. Now I can call my sound system an impressive one.

Way to go Sheraz! I've been following this thread from the beginning and it's been quite a journey for you, glad to see it had a very satisfying outcome!

I'm very jealous as I'm still struggling to get my quad subs to play nice in my very large living room....wish I could do a dedicated theater myself. Enjoy it!
post #755 of 757 Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Not true...if it's close to the crossover point, you can most certainly effect it with sub EQ. With my crossover at 80hz, I was able to tame a 100hz peak with the Mini DSP. Probably better to do it with room treatment, but it works for now. smile.gif
You would be the exception that proves the rule. biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #756 of 757 Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey guys,
I stared working on another project. I realized that if the eye level is higher than the center of screen, it gives much more depth to scenes and also a lot more immersive experience. So I decided to build a stage of 12" high. I did that today. Now I had to bring front speakers 12" higher as well. I thought that it'd be no problem. I built 3 boxes of 12" and placed the speakers on them and did 8 point calibration with Audyssey. After that I checked and had a nasty drop at 95hz. I had cross-over set to 80 as always. As Craig had mentioned that if there is a drop after cross-over point then its front speakers issue and positioning needs to be adjusted of these speakers. After many attempts, I got these results. No dip within 150 hz but there is a small dip around 154. I increased distance by +1 ft and it reduced it a bit but that was the best I could get.

Do you guys think that it's ok and no big issue there? Also adding +1 ft in speakers is ok to reduce that dip? After applying smoothing, the dip is gone and both graphs (with/without +1 distance) look the same. Which one should I go with? Or is it a major issue and needs to be fixed?????

I already spent about 2 hours on it and this is what I got.

WITHOUT SMOOTHING

WITH SMOOTHING
post #757 of 757 Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

ok guys I'm partially done with my Acoustically transparent screen. Seymour AT screen turned out to be a great change. Switching to 2.35 from 16.9 ratio and covering screen reflection with Black velvet paid off very well. I can't see any weave. Picture quality is great.
This is a 145" screen. I'm sitting 13 feet away from it and projector is mounted 16 feet. Switching in between 2.35 to 16.9 content is very easy (thanks to lens memory feature of VPL-95ES projector). I wonder how it'd look with a 4K projector (VW600ES) ???????????

Done with frames and attaching screen, Also placed everything in its place and covered up to 5 feet of area with black velvet around screen. The only thing left is to ad 4 more feet. Having 5 feet area covered around screen on 2.35 gives awesome experience but since the screen sides are pretty much touching the side walls, reflection of light goes beyond 5 feet. Covering 4 more feet will completely take away any light reflected from screen. A completely dark environment to watch movies. I'm also going to install a star ceiling using fiber optics to keep wifei happy.

I"ll later post another set of pics when whole project is complete.

Here are some pics before construction and placement of subs and speakers.

Here is after putting the screen up. I haven't vacuumed the place yet. Black Velvet is up to 5 feet from screen as of now. I will be adding another 4 feet. At that point, the only part that will be visible is only and only screen and nothing else :-)

could you explain a bit how you did that with the frame? Is there a gap around the edge to walk behind the screen? What did you make the frame from, or was it purchased?

A false wall is a lot more work, it seems so if you can give me some info that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page