Dual PSA XS30s or Dual Rythmik FV15HPs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Recently moved to Triad Gold LCRs for my front stage and Bronze LCRs for my side surrounds and rear surrounds. I have an SVS PC12 Plus and am planning on upgrading. I’m now wired for a second subwoofer and will be upgrading to a dual setup.

My room is 3,700 cubic feet. The room does not open up to other rooms, however, it’s not sealed. I sit approximately 9 feet from the subs and the subs will be positioned anywhere between 5-8 feet from each other. I primarily watch movies, however, will occasionally pop in a CD.

I’ve been debating between dual PSA XS30s or dual Rythmik FV15HPs for a long time and reading the board on this topic, of which these 2 subs have been written about frequently. I still can’t decide. The FV15HP has a 5.1db advantage in the 20–31.5Hz range, however, the XS30 has a 3.1db advantage in the 40-63 Hz. range (based on PSA measurement and independent measurement for the FV15HP). Not concerned about the price difference as they both fit into max $3K budget. Also, I have time and understand the black oak FV15HP is stocked out until late October/early November timeframe.

Your thoughts and feedback on these two options, and any other suggestions are welcome. Some of the bigger subs don’t work for me based on physical space (i.e. Triax, JTR S2, 36" depth of XV30). Also, no DIY due to lack of capability, time and interest.

Thanks,
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Depends. First, what do you mean by not open to other areas, but not sealed?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #3 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Depends. First, what do you mean by not open to other areas, but not sealed?

Meaning my theater is in my basement and there's a small stairway area that leads up to the main floor. In addition, I have a drop down ceiling and while insulated, and with noise reduction ceiling tiles, sound definitely finds its way up to the main floor. However, the basement does not open itself to other rooms (i.e. a kitchen, room, hallway).
post #4 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I get it.

Sounds like you might have better results from the two Rythmiks. I say this because it doesn't sound like your going to get much room gain so after EQ the Rythmiks would be better.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Ok I get it.

Sounds like you might have better results from the two Rythmiks. I say this because it doesn't sound like your going to get much room gain so after EQ the Rythmiks would be better.

Brian, thanks for your feedback. Is limited room gain due to the unsealed structure of my room (i.e. sound leakage upstairs)?
post #6 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Why not try another PC12+ and see how that goes? Might save $1800. They have a PC13 Ultra in the outlet section as well. I would think a pair of PC12+s would sound pretty good.

If you do change to Rythmiks or PSAs what are you going to do with the SVS?

If going with the FV15s you could always run 3 subs, lay the PC behind your MLP.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Why not try another PC12+ and see how that goes? Might save $1800. They have a PC13 Ultra in the outlet section as well. I would think a pair of PC12+s would sound pretty good.

If you do change to Rythmiks or PSAs what are you going to do with the SVS?

If going with the FV15s you could always run 3 subs, lay the PC behind your MLP.

I don't have the room to stand a second PC12+ in the front without blocking my screen. Thought about placing a PC on the floor across my front stage, however, can't get over the way it looks, as well as, don't have a cradle to hold the cylinder in place. Also, not sure if a PC13 Ultra would match well with a PC12+ due to larger amp and more output from the 13 Ultra making the PC12+ pretty much useless.

I'm wired for 2 subs in my front stage and the traditional box shape will work best. Was thinking about adding a PB12 Plus or PB13 Ultra to my cylinder, however, unsure of matching a box with a cylinder. My thinking is 2 of the same box subs would work best.

Also, could sell the PC12+. Its 1.5 years old and in great shape.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have to have both subs up front? This not ideal you know.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I would go with the Rythmiks. Their driver is going to be much better, so I think you can expect much better sound quality. I am certainly going to get flamed for saying this by all the PSA fans, but the Power X driver is just such a sorry sight next to the Rythmik DS1510. No amount of them are going to beat it in sound quality, especially when you throw in Rythmik's servo mechanism. I think the XS30 would beat the FV15HP in upper bass output alone, but in every other respect, distortion, compression, linearity, etc, the Rythmik will be superior.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I would go with the Rythmiks. Their driver is going to be much better, so I think you can expect much better sound quality. I am certainly going to get flamed for saying this by all the PSA fans, but the Power X driver is just such a sorry sight next to the Rythmik DS1510. No amount of them are going to beat it in sound quality, especially when you throw in Rythmik's servo mechanism. I think the XS30 would beat the FV15HP in upper bass output alone, but in every other respect, distortion, compression, linearity, etc, the Rythmik will be superior.

You only get flamed for your approach...hince why you have this tag in your sig by the mods over at audioholics:

shadyJ a forum troll idiot that just begs for attention

However I do agree the Rythmik FV15HP's would be my choice. wink.gif
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

You only get flamed for your approach...hince why you have this tag in your sig by the mods over at audioholics:

shadyJ a forum troll idiot that just begs for attention

However I do agree the Rythmik FV15HP's would be my choice. wink.gif

That isn't placed there by the mods, that is an automatic tag you get for having poor feedback from other users. I got in the red badly there when I disputed the validity of subwoofer isolation pads. Somehow a lot of people were bothered by that, lol. Those threads were brutal on my reputation.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

That isn't placed there by the mods, that is an automatic tag you get for having poor feedback from other users. I got in the red badly there when I disputed the validity of subwoofer isolation pads. Somehow a lot of people were bothered by that, lol. Those threads were brutal on my reputation.

You sure its just those threads?......lol tongue.gif
oneeyeblind likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol, I admit it, there is more too it than that, but my rep points or whatever they are never recovered from the subdude and gramma threads.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
That's funny Shady, I thought you'd applied that tag to yourself, on a lark. The truth makes more sense :-)
oneeyeblind likes this.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page