Which one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im needing to run 2 subs and was wondering which would you guys run out of the three listed below.
my room is also 30x16x8

NXG BAS 500
Cadence CSX 12 mark 11
Bic F-12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
NXG...Jim wilson gave it a solid review. smile.gif
post #3 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I seen that review. He also gave the cadence a good review also in the cadence owners thread.
post #4 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I did indeed like them, because they're both pretty solid values. The Cadence will play a little louder than the NXG, but the NXG has a bit more depth and precision. Which will work best depends upon what your priorities are and what you intend to use them for.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Jim, for the size room I have do you feel I need 2 15"s or do you feel 2 12"s be fine?

Also how do you feel about the Cadance 15" sub?

I will be watching movies about 90% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I did indeed like them, because they're both pretty solid values. The Cadence will play a little louder than the NXG, but the NXG has a bit more depth and precision. Which will work best depends upon what your priorities are and what you intend to use them for.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadillac View Post

Im needing to run 2 subs and was wondering which would you guys run out of the three listed below.
my room is also 30x16x8

NXG BAS 500
Cadence CSX 12 mark 11
Bic F-12.

Are you considering Klipsch RW12D 12-inch Reference Subwoofer ? It has pretty good reviews.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim, for the size room I have do you feel I need 2 15"s or do you feel 2 12"s be fine?

Also how do you feel about the Cadance 15" sub?

I will be watching movies about 90% of the time.

Give that your room is large, and movies are the priority, 15" sub's would be the better choice. However, at that price point there are few worthy contenders.

Both Cadence subwoofers trade deep extension for additional output, which may not be ideal in your situation. They do tend to emphasis the mid-bass region -- which contains a lot of the soundtrack so it often sounds quite powerful because of that -- but the rattle-your-chair stuff is not very prominent I'm afraid.

What is your budget? Other options might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deids View Post

Are you considering Klipsch RW12D 12-inch Reference Subwoofer ? It has pretty good reviews.

The RW12 does appear to be well liked but it may finally be gone for good. It's been listed as 'discontinued' by Klipsch for years, yet Newegg had a seemingly endless supply. It apparently wasn't an endless supply after all; Newegg hasn't had any for weeks, which never happened in the past. That deal may finally be over.

post #8 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Give that your room is large, and movies are the priority, 15" sub's would be the better choice. However, at that price point there are few worthy contenders.

Both Cadence subwoofers trade deep extension for additional output, which may not be ideal in your situation. They do tend to emphasis the mid-bass region -- which contains a lot of the soundtrack so it often sounds quite powerful because of that -- but the rattle-your-chair stuff is not very prominent I'm afraid.

What is your budget? Other options might be available.
The RW12 does appear to be well liked but it may finally be gone for good. It's been listed as 'discontinued' by Klipsch for years, yet Newegg had a seemingly endless supply. It apparently wasn't an endless supply after all; Newegg hasn't had any for weeks, which never happened in the past. That deal may finally be over.

I would like to stay maybe around the 350 to 400 range a piece....or at least somewhere in that range!! I just found refurbed VDR-12 DSP for $249 a piece. What do you think about that sub? They are coming from the factory also.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to stay maybe around the 350 to 400 range a piece....or at least somewhere in that range!! I just found refurbed VDR-12 DSP for $249 a piece. What do you think about that sub? They are coming from the factory also.

I think the Velodyne VDR is a solid sub for 249.00. Thats what I would go with for a sub in the 2-300.00 range.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

You may want to look into the PA-150. It has impressive output, better than a lot of really good subs actually, and can be had for $350. The only downside is it does not dig as deep as other subs.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #11 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You may want to look into the PA-150. It has impressive output, better than a lot of really good subs actually, and can be had for $350. The only downside is it does not dig as deep as other subs.

I am suprised they do not redesign that sub...tune it down to around 24hz ad give up a few db on the Top end. I bet it would be a number 1 seller then.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I am suprised they do not redesign that sub...tune it down to around 24hz ad give up a few db on the Top end. I bet it would be a number 1 seller then.

No kidding! I would buy one!

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #13 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A DSP controlled sub for $250 seems like a pretty solid deal, but I don't really have much info on that particular model so I can't really say whether it would be a good sub. A few others worth considering are the BIC PL-200 and the Dayton Audio SUB-1200. The former can be had for a 15% discount by using the code TV15, while the latter is very inexpensive to begin with.

post #14 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I think I might jump on the PL-200 and buy 2 of them.

Do you think that there is much difference between the PL-200 and the F-12 as I know this question has prolly been asked 1000 times.

That Dayton is only $130 bucks.. Is it really that comparable with the others
post #15 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you think that there is much difference between the PL-200 and the F-12 as I know this question has prolly been asked 1000 times.

In the BIC product line it's two steps above the F12, so I would imagine in the depth and precision departments it should be better.

Quote:

That Dayton is only $130 bucks.. Is it really that comparable with the others

I have a SUB 1200 I'll be reviewing before the end of the year -- so I do have some direct exposure to one of them -- and I can say that it's worth more than $130. Realistically it is still a budget-oriented sub, but I believe it's a pretty solid value.

post #16 of 27 Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess I need to decide which one Im gonna double up on then. Do you feel that the PL-200 is that much stronger all around the Dayton? Jim if it was you having to pick between the 2 for yourself which one would you pick? Im gonna buy 2 of something real soon.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I guess I need to decide which one Im gonna double up on then. Do you feel that the PL-200 is that much stronger all around the Dayton? Jim if it was you having to pick between the 2 for yourself which one would you pick? Im gonna buy 2 of something real soon.

For me it would be a pair of the NXG's. I haven't heard all of the subwoofers you mention -- so there may be a gem among them -- but I do have a lot of experience with the NXG, and what I heard was to my liking.

post #18 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

I seem to remember it being gone for about a month before. But I wouldn't count on it coming back either. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

For this size room, the PA-150 would be my choice over the other subs under consideration. There was an AVS member who had dual PL-200s and got a single PA-150. Liked the PA-150 better than the duals:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

By far the Pa-150 is a better choice. I had two Pl-200s at one time in which did pretty good for my HT but when I got the PA-150 hands down much better!

post #19 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Depending on how you set the room up, in my opinion, you'd be best served by two fifteen inch subwoofers placed near-field; on either side of the listening sofa position. One fifteen inch subwoofer driver has about the output of two twelve inch drivers so two fifteen inch drivers would have about twice the output (additional 3dB) of output. Irregardless, if the subs are place in corner locations, you'll get additional output; room gain. A sort of corner loaded free lunch.

From Data-Bass, here's a link discussing "room gain" that will give you more insight as to the benefit of subwoofer placement.

You have a long narrow room. Is this room open to any additional rooms? If open to additional space, if one is wanting full, deep, quality sound, you're going need more subwoofers. If you start with two fifteen inch subwoofers, you'll have a good start but to get where most wish to go, down the road it's recommended to consider adding additional subwoofers to help with issues that revolve around room modes and gain.

As to choices and what direction one should go, the number of Benjamins one has in their pocket will make most of their decision for them. And if this is the case, and there are but a few Benjamins to begin with, one should consider the best and largest single subwoofer they can invest in: no holding back. Buy a single fifteen inch subwoofer which expectedly will be placed nearfield and as soon as one is able, purchase a second, equal subwoofer with, due to your room size, an eye on additional subwoofers down the road.

(I need more power Scotty!)

-
post #20 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I seem to remember it being gone for about a month before. But I wouldn't count on it coming back either. smile.gif

I got the very last one. Precariously placed on our fireplace mantel, it's now in a football style display case for all to see and admire.

While having beer with friends, I like to brag how I snagged the last one made at a wonderful price and how they're now going up in value because only a few million of them were made. I like to brag on how they can't be had anymore and collectors around the world have snapped up the last few in existence. I tried putting a mint 1957 Corvette in a case on the mantel but my wife would have nothing to do with it, so as an alternative, I went with a glass cased RW-12d.

...tongue.gif

-
post #21 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I got the very last one. Precariously placed on our fireplace mantel, it's now in a football style display case for all to see and admire.

While having beer with friends, I like to brag how I snagged the last one made at a wonderful price and how they're now going up in value because only a few million of them were made. I like to brag on how they can't be had anymore and collectors around the world have snapped up the last few in existence. I tried putting a mint 1957 Corvette in a case on the mantel but my wife would have nothing to do with it, so as an alternative, I went with a glass cased RW-12d.

...tongue.gif

-

I have heard Rythmik LV12R is much better than RW12. RW12 is no way near to that Rythmik one.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have heard Rythmik LV12R is much better than RW12. RW12 is no way near to that Rythmik one.

Yes. The LV12R is a better class of subwoofer. smile.gif

post #23 of 27 Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Which is the better subwoofer.........a subwoofer that someone else owns and talks about or a properly integrated subwoofer that one has and uses for their personal enjoyment?
post #24 of 27 Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well I asked my wife to order 2 Bic PL-200 while I was at work today and i get home and find out she ordered 2 F-12 on accident. We have 30 days to send them back so i guess I will give them a try and see what happens. Im gettinmg ready to order some Polk towers and center channel to go with the subs.
post #25 of 27 Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well I asked my wife to order 2 Bic PL-200 while I was at work today and i get home and find out she ordered 2 F-12 on accident. We have 30 days to send them back so i guess I will give them a try and see what happens. Im gettinmg ready to order some Polk towers and center channel to go with the subs.

Gonna be pricey to ship them back. 12" subs are heavy and come in big boxes. If you'd rather go with the BIC PL-200, you should refuse delivery if you can.

post #26 of 27 Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

My F-12 subs came in yesterday. I hooked them up last night and watched Trans Formers and Iron man today. The only thing I can say is WOW at 16ft way from the system the subs shake your body like you are sitting on top of them. These things have to be the best bang for the buck at $182 a piece shipped to my door step. Need to do some more dialing in I guess, and I will say that the are more for TV then music. Seems like they are missing something with a music disc in but still sound good. well worth the money!!
post #27 of 27 Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

My F-12 subs came in yesterday. I hooked them up last night and watched Trans Formers and Iron man today. The only thing I can say is WOW at 16ft way from the system the subs shake your body like you are sitting on top of them. These things have to be the best bang for the buck at $182 a piece shipped to my door step. Need to do some more dialing in I guess, and I will say that the are more for TV then music. Seems like they are missing something with a music disc in but still sound good. well worth the money!!

The Bic America F-12 is a great starter sub. I started off with two of them in my theater and they did a great job for what they were.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List