AVS Forum banner

Rythmik FV15HP, Power Sound Audio XV30, HSU VTF-15H or SVS PB-12/13 Plus/Ultra?

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  dominguez1 
#1 ·
I've been reading reviews for months on these subs (Rythmik FV15HP, Power Sound Audio XV30, HSU VTF-15H or SVS PB-12/13 Plus/Ultra) and am having an extremely difficult time trying to decided on one. Unfortunately there are no audio dealers near me that carry any of these subs so i'm also unable to give them a listen which doesn't help. All of the reviews are mixed saying that one is better than the other.

My theater room is 20 x 25 (6000cf) and my 7 speaker setup is composed of Klipsch THX Ultra2's. I use it 85% for movies and 15% for music. I want a sub that is going to shake the house off it's foundation w/clean undistorted hard hitting bass that can be pushed hard. My budget is about $1,500 and I plan on eventually going with 2 of whatever one I choose for balance sound. If anyone has had any experience w/these or currently owns one of them I'd greatly appreciate your input on which would be best. Thank you.

#3 ·
If you want to shake the foundation in that 6000 cubic foot room with $1500 you need to go DIY. To do that room any justice I would think dual JTR Caps are a minimum. Out of the choices you listed I would get the Rythmik, but it won't do what you want unless you are exaggerating. Still a great sub though.

#6 ·
"Oztech", the room is sealed with wood floors/walls/ceiling.

"Brian6751", SVS was my first choice until I started discovering these other off the mainstream subs which lead me to where I am. SVS also seems to have the best and latest reviews and a great warranty.

"Basshead81", the FV15HP looks pretty beastly but I couldn't find any info on the warranty plus they charge $138 shipping. SVS ships free, both ways, should I change my mind or want to upgrade and offers a 5yr warranty at no extra charge.

"MKtheater", do the DIY subs really compare to the Rythmik FV15HP and SVS Ultra or even outperform them?

#7 ·
Depends on the DIY subs. Of course you can build a sub to be better performance. You can do it very cheaply as well. Cheap usually means big though. When you say foundation moving what levels are you actually looking for? What frequency response. etc..

#9 ·
I'm looking to hit 16hz. I like and prefer my movie bass to hit hard and low giving the best cinematic experience. I was just exaggerating on the whole "foundation moving" but the bigger and deeper the bass the better. I've noticed on the majority of DIY subwoofer kits that they aren't ported which is recommended for subwoofers intended in home theater applications. What are your recommendations for DIY? Do you have the Rythmik?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23743991

According to dominguez1, the Rythmik FV15HP has deeper extension than the SVS PB13 and PSA XV30 .

It does not have deeper extension then the PB13 or VTF-15, but it does have substantially more output then both down that low. The XV30 has the least amount of extension.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXMovieMaster4  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...r-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra/0_100#post_23744010

I'm looking to hit 16hz. I like and prefer my movie bass to hit hard and low giving the best cinematic experience. I was just exaggerating on the whole "foundation moving" but the bigger and deeper the bass the better. I've noticed on the majority of DIY subwoofer kits that they aren't ported which is recommended for subwoofers intended in home theater applications. What are your recommendations for DIY? Do you have the Rythmik?

For 12hz extension I can only picture 4 LLT's built out of sonotubes! Massive subs with massive spl to 12hz! Very easy to build but I did say they would be massive. Oh, They would cost about $1500 with amp total! Can you say 124.5 dBs at 13hz!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23744037

For 12hz extension I can only picture 4 LLT's built out of sonotubes! Massive subs with massive spl to 12hz! Very easy to build but I did say they would be massive. Oh, They would cost about $1500 with amp total! Can you say 124.5 dBs at 13hz!

in a 6000^3 room?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...r-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra/0_100#post_23744053

in a 6000^3 room?

No, Winisd sims. In room depends on many things. Each one would have more output than any sub mentioned.

#14 ·
Both svs and rythmik make excellent subs and have excellent customer service. They both also backup their products. Svs has a better written warranty but I have never heard of anyone having issues with their rythmik subs and not being taken care of.

They are both worth every penny IMO.

I have owned both. If you made me choose, I would pick the pb ultra.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXMovieMaster4  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23744010

Ha! Only mk would consider moving the foundation a design goal!

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23744037

Sounds pretty intense and good. I've never built a sub or amp from scratch so I don't know if I'd be able to piece it together that easily. Do you have any links for parts/instructions?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23743741

I think you selected some great choices...imo any of them will serve you well. I would consider the FV15HP the top dog in that list. You should consider the warranties as a top priority as well. Amp failure rates appear to be at a all time high and its not brand specific.

basshead81 do you have any facts to back up that statement?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXMovieMaster4  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...r-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra/0_100#post_23744215

Sounds pretty intense and good. I've never built a sub or amp from scratch so I don't know if I'd be able to piece it together that easily. Do you have any links for parts/instructions?

You buy the amp and build the end caps. The enclosures can either be made out of wood or Sonotube. Sonotube is a round concrete form and no need to build anything. You just cut round circles that fit the sonotube, driver, and port. There are many builds of sonosubs. You can cover them with different materials as well. The 4 subs I owned is still one of the most visceral experiences I have owned and only surpassed by the deep extension of the others.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23744297

The 4 subs I owned is still one of the most visceral experiences I have owned and only surpassed by the deep extension of the others.
What's nice about the Sonotubes is how easy they would be to tune deeply. There is hardly any room for long ports to go in a box for a deep tune, but a cylinder makes it real easy and for such a small footprint too.

#23 ·
You build them as passives and connect the subs with speaker wire and run one powerful amp like a EP-4000. You run the system as one sub.

#24 ·
You can make the subs smaller as you increase the tune. If you want 10hz, huge, 16hz, not as big, etc..

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24  /t/1491034/rythmik-fv15hp-power-sou...-15h-or-svs-pb-12-13-plus-ultra#post_23744262

[/B]

basshead81 do you have any facts to back up that statement?

Yea try searching the internet. Several subs with dead amps from different companies have been reported lately. My comment was not bash, it was more or less to inform that a 5yr warranty may be an important factor.

#26 ·
I had a Dayton SA 1000 for my two sub and it broke within 3 weeks driving my 18 in pair of Chase 18.1 subs. A Berhinger 6000 DSP can drive 3-4 subs that are passive. Part Express sells sub kit that take one or two hours to put together that should perform exceptionally in a large room. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-7094 For that size room don't under cut yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.