• 1 Post By thebland
  • 1 Post By RDKing2

post #1 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I don't know how low it went but holy crap it was loud and sustained. I'm sure many wimpy subs bit it! But it has been a while since I've heard anything so potent on a Blu Ray disc. The seen was in Jerusalem at 1 hour 5 min.

I had my volume at -3 and I thought as the increased in volume, something was going to give... and my subs can handle anything at any level.

Very cool!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Cool! sounds good! I have been thinking of picking it up.. so how did you feel the rest of it was sound and story wise?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #3 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed it. Not bad even though it had to be reworked. I'm not sure how low this pulse went but it was very, very loud and dynamic.
steve nn likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #4 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Post 1330 has a graph of this scene in this thread.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-67

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 58
It's been measured a few times already

by Mrkazador

by nube

and
post #6 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just picked up a Earthquake Supernova MVIV-12 for near-field placement directly behind my couch. I can't wait to watch that movie in 3D on Tuesday. Will be my first ever 3D movie experience, fingers crossed:)

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #7 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post

It's been measured a few times already

by Mrkazador

by nube

and

OK... I guess my excitement was warranted. Thanks!

post #8 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I enjoyed it. Not bad even though it had to be reworked. I'm not sure how low this pulse went but it was very, very loud and dynamic.

I just came home with it and plan on checking it out soon! Thanks!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #9 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is that the second granade that exploded? if so, yes that was a wicked scene
post #10 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

I don't know how low it went but holy crap it was loud and sustained. I'm sure many wimpy subs bit it! But it has been a while since I've heard anything so potent on a Blu Ray disc. The seen was in Jerusalem at 1 hour 5 min.

I had my volume at -3 and I thought as the increased in volume, something was going to give... and my subs can handle anything at any level.

Very cool!

Thebland, what subs do you have? I am limited by the breaker tripping but I have to have the subs pretty far over reference for that to happen. Still, I don't like limits of any kind...
post #11 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
That was one of the most intense scenes I have herd yet...granted thats not been alot but man it was awsome! First time my ears popped from subwoofer pressure. Kind of like when you take off in a air plane and the elevation change causes your ears to pop.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thebland, what subs do you have? I am limited by the breaker tripping but I have to have the subs pretty far over reference for that to happen. Still, I don't like limits of any kind...

Just a thought. How old are your breakers?

You might benefit replacing your breaker with like, kind and quality (same manufacture) as the breaker may have aged and is simply in need of being replaced.

-
post #13 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

You need to get an electrician over there!!biggrin.gif

I have two BDEAP32s.. An earlier design of Tom Danley which Mark Seaton recommended and installed. They are each powered by a 2500W amp. They are boundary dependent design (meaning, putting them against a wall is mandatory) and are able to play extremely loud and low (with EQ). They are 200 lbs each and have an incredible sensitivity of at least 100-110 db loading dependent.

Because most of my equipment consists of compression drivers and all very high sensitivity (with roots from the pro audio world), I can play soundtracks as loud as my processor will allow (and have) minimal distortion and no driver compression (and I have a generous house curve below 20 Hz)!
Both amps share a 20 amp breaker and I have never popped a circuit. I plug the sub amps directly in to the wall. The rest of my equipment receives filtered power from Equitech isolation transformers.

post #14 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

You need to get an electrician over there!!biggrin.gif

I have two BDEAP32s.. An earlier design of Tom Danley which Mark Seaton recommended and installed. They are each powered by a 2500W amp. They are boundary dependent design (meaning, putting them against a wall is mandatory) and are able to play extremely loud and low (with EQ). They are 200 lbs each and have an incredible sensitivity of at least 100-110 db loading dependent.

Because most of my equipment consists of compression drivers and all very high sensitivity (with roots from the pro audio world), I can play soundtracks as loud as my processor will allow (and have) minimal distortion and no driver compression (and I have a generous house curve below 20 Hz)!
Both amps share a 20 amp breaker and I have never popped a circuit. I plug the sub amps directly in to the wall. The rest of my equipment receives filtered power from Equitech isolation transformers.

Nice, yeah I thought you had a system installed by Mark.

Yeah, my speakers are all the high sensitivity/compression driver style too (I have JTR Noesis 212's), I remember we talked in another thread about it.

I definitely have a ton of bass output, I'm running 8 subs all 18" Stereo Integrity subs. In a bass heavy movie like War of the Worlds I can run the subs at 8 over reference with a house curve on top of that boosting the low end (L/T using the minidsp) so that 15hz-25hz would be even louder and not trip the breaker. Much more than that and it trips. However recently I tripped the breaker with the subs at reference with the boosted house curve (Olympus Has Fallen) so it got me to thinking about limits again.

When I put the system together I was advised by many here that a separate 20 amp line would suffice, so I ran 2 of them but it's not enough to give me no limits.

It's probably a good thing for my ears that my system has a limit (tripping breaker) but I still eventually want no limits at all.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 406
thebland,

Are you still using the Ada gear? How is it sounding?
post #16 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Actually, the opening scene had a few moments that was more impressive to me.......................some of the explosions had extreme LF which was a first in my room when actual thoughts of room integrity came to mind!

Didn't like the movie, but sound effects were gratifying.........smile.gif
post #17 of 25 Old 09-22-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

thebland,

Are you still using the Ada gear? How is it sounding?

It's good. But I am moving to a full Trinnov system in the next 2-3 months and am looking for new speakers (13.1). BIg changes on the audio side.smile.gif

post #18 of 25 Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

It's good. But I am moving to a full Trinnov system in the next 2-3 months and am looking for new speakers (13.1). BIg changes on the audio side.smile.gif

13.1? How about 13.x where x is a very large number?? :-)
post #19 of 25 Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

13.1? How about 13.x where x is a very large number?? :-)

Yes... 13.x depending on how many we need to achieve optimal SPLs!! Good catch!smile.gif

post #20 of 25 Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
Yes, the grenade scene took me by surprise.
I feared for the structural integrity of some of my windows during that scene. It was scary!
post #21 of 25 Old 10-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Liked: 14
Watched the 3D version last weekend. Except for that one grenade scene the soundtrack was kind of lackluster IMO. My friends wife was in the bathroom during that scene, heard an OMG remark directly after smile.gif Running Dual LMS 5400's on a 14k clone. was at -15 on the volume. I was expecting more from the chopper scenes. 3D was meh, not even very much depth. I would have been fine to see it without.
RickyDeg likes this.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Dang.. I just can't wait till my subs arrive. After reading about different LFE or ULF parts on newly released BD's. I'm holding off watching a lot of them till my new subs arrive. WWZ, STITD,IM3,OHF.. Are the most recent BD titles I bought and haven't even watched it yet. Not even in the movies. Lol.. Just a couple more weeks. Yea, I can do it! I know I can.. Lol
post #23 of 25 Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Dang.. I just can't wait till my subs arrive. After reading about different LFE or ULF parts on newly released BD's. I'm holding off watching a lot of them till my new subs arrive. WWZ, STITD,IM3,OHF.. Are the most recent BD titles I bought and haven't even watched it yet. Not even in the movies. Lol.. Just a couple more weeks. Yea, I can do it! I know I can.. Lol

I think you should watch them now AND after the upgrade, it's like growing up poor so you can appreciate it when you strike it rich. What are you upgrading from?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #24 of 25 Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

I think you should watch them now AND after the upgrade, it's like growing up poor so you can appreciate it when you strike it rich. What are you upgrading from?

Lol.. Well I did buy TLM in 3D. Watched it with my daughter last night. One of her favorites. Mines too! Nah, just kiddin.. Anyway, if any of you have kids I suggest go out and get it. And pop it in. There's some pretty good LFE in that movie. Very surprising... My old dual Supercube Reference still does some good LFE duty. Well not really old. Like 6 months old. Already sold it to my brother..
post #25 of 25 Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 13
That's not a grenade that's a low frequency sweep pulse generating device:D Me Likey!!!! In my system (decidely less capable than some on here) that scene was squarely in the arena with greats like U 571, War of the Worlds, Flight of The Phoenix, Black Hawk Down and Master and Commander. It really was that good!!! Though very short in duration. That's exactly the kind of scene I wanted a sub for.

I'm getting there....!!!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page