Is there such a thing as a 9" deep subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved in to a small place that has a cabinet in the corner where I've been told by the wife is the only place a subwoofer can/will be placed. Either something goes in there, or no sub. I'm easy either way, and right now I'm leaning towards no sub, but thought I'd fire this out there.

The cabinet (I know, bad idea for a sub; work with me here) is 9 5/8" deep, 22" wide, and 12 1/2" high. The last guy must have either had a sub in there, or took the door off (not an option for me I've been told), because there is a power jack and a sub cable. There are 3x in-wall 6 1/2" monoprice speakers that I haven't tried out yet, and I'm thinking that an 8" sub probably won't give me that much more than the in wall speakers.

I found one 8" sub that was a 10" cube, and it's soooo close, but no cigar. I'm open to options - a car sub, a tube design, etc. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but wouldn't mind hearing a boom every so often. So, does anything exist that would fit in there that is "ok"? Budget is a consideration - max $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 56
There are wall subs that are slim. There are passive subs that are slim with the amp you store in a separate cabinet. Its not the driver that takes up all the room in a sub box, its the amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velodyne-2x-SC-8-Subwoofers-NEW-1x-SC-1250-Amp-CERTIFIED-REFURB-Bundle-/150963681360
Rob Morse likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well for “she who must be obeyed”, what you do is mount a small, blown, damaged, non-functional 8” sub into the wall space available. Every now and again comment on how impressive the bass is.

After a couple of months bring home a 12” sub which a dealer/acquaintance/friend recommended because 2 subs will smooth out the acoustics in the room. Wait for her to notice the difference. When she does, suggest that you could rebuild that wall unit to accommodate the larger sub.

Now you get to score that Delta 10” Cabinet Saw you always wanted. And can start to experiment with sub cabinets in the 12 cu ft range. Isn’t marriage wonderful.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidHead View Post

Either something goes in there, or no sub.
The result will be no bass. You may have to obey WAF, but the laws of physics won't.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I have a Mirage MM-6 subwoofer on my basement computer. It's not that bad. I think many people on this forum would be surprised at how good it sounds. It probably doesn't give much below 40 Hz, but it can give a decent thump. Much better than nothing. I think I paid $200 for it.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidHead View Post

I just moved in to a small place that has a cabinet in the corner where I've been told by the wife is the only place a subwoofer can/will be placed. Either something goes in there, or no sub. I'm easy either way, and right now I'm leaning towards no sub, but thought I'd fire this out there.

The cabinet (I know, bad idea for a sub; work with me here) is 9 5/8" deep, 22" wide, and 12 1/2" high. The last guy must have either had a sub in there, or took the door off (not an option for me I've been told), because there is a power jack and a sub cable. There are 3x in-wall 6 1/2" monoprice speakers that I haven't tried out yet, and I'm thinking that an 8" sub probably won't give me that much more than the in wall speakers.

I found one 8" sub that was a 10" cube, and it's soooo close, but no cigar. I'm open to options - a car sub, a tube design, etc. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but wouldn't mind hearing a boom every so often. So, does anything exist that would fit in there that is "ok"? Budget is a consideration - max $500.

Slim subwoofers are fairly common in car audio - raw drivers are readily available.

Here is a 12" driver with 14 mm Xamx - only about 4 inches dee.

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=47

and another

http://www.jlaudio.com/12tw3-d4-car-audio-tw3-subwoofer-drivers-92185

Just google around...
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

The KEF T2 is less than 9" deep I believe & about 14" high - will that work for you? Just putting out an option!

Bazzy!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I don't think you'll be happy with the results of this arrangement. You might be better off getting beefier mains and skipping a sub if you can't place it properly. My parents have this kind of setup in their gameroom (they had the room custom built with a cabinet that would fit a sub). The sub causes the whole cabinet to rattle, and it sounds terrible.

Maybe if you posted a picture of the room we could offer more suggestions on subs/placement options that the wife might be willing to compromise on.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 403
There's this. Not sure if it will fit and it's a wee bit pricey-

http://www.paradigm.com/products/type=subwoofer/model=milleniasub/page=specs

And there is this, don't know the price though

http://www.focal.com/en/subwoofers/428-sub-air-3544057690335.html

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Most driver are less than 9" deep so you can design a shallow box for a woofer and make your own if your up for it? I would design a passive sub with an external amp. GL

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #11 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee View Post

Most driver are less than 9" deep so you can design a shallow box for a woofer and make your own if your up for it? I would design a passive sub with an external amp. GL

+1

Talk to the DIY guys. See if you can't come up with a design for sealed sub box.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page