do i need more than dual fv15hps? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > do i need more than dual fv15hps?
newc33's Avatar newc33 07:11 PM 09-24-2013
For about the last month I have been set on buying 2 fv15hps. Recently I started to thing what if I want more? What if I realize I want a bad ass sealed system like dual submerssives? I want to drop at least 2500 bucks on subs and I just can't figure out if the fv15hp s will give me that insane bass output I'm looking for.

On a side note I already have a lv12r so that would get blended in with the fv15hps. I would put the fv15hps in the front corner and have the lv12r behind my couch tuned around -6 dbs just for the extra smooth freq responese.

Or I could sell the lv12r and go all out with new bigger bader subs all together.

And how do I know if I want sealed or ported?

I'm starting to get frustrated with over thinking this but hey its a lot of cash and I wanna make sure I get exactly what will make me the most impressed.

lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:27 PM 09-24-2013
Well....me I personally lust for the Submersive HPs. However, for half the price a pair of Rythmik FV15HPs would do in a pinch wink.gif Or maybe a pair of PSA XS30s for a bit less. Decisions decisions.

I know I've seen some info on your room but you might repost it.
qguy's Avatar qguy 08:37 PM 09-24-2013
There is a big gap in the output department between the sealed and ported Rythmiks, So if you have a large rooms and usage is purely HT, go for the ported. If your LV12r damping is set to medium, think of the sealed as switching the damping to high
rangers's Avatar rangers 08:40 PM 09-24-2013
I guess you are aware of the new SubMersive HP Plus with Master/Slave. Two units for just under 4k shipped. Maybe out of your
budget but just wanted to make sure you are aware of this option.
Cowboys's Avatar Cowboys 12:26 AM 09-25-2013
I dont think you need more than 2 FV15HP's but perhaps you want more. Need and want are two different things. If you can afford, go for SubmersiveHP's for sure. Take Carp here as an example. He had dual Captivator 2400's, then dual Submersives, now he has eight DIY 18" subs. Will it stop here for him? Time will tell. Spending time here at AVS will eventually cost you wink.gif
newc33's Avatar newc33 04:33 AM 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post

I guess you are aware of the new SubMersive HP Plus with Master/Slave. Two units for just under 4k shipped. Maybe out of your
budget but just wanted to make sure you are aware of this option.

Yes I just don't know if I can see myself spending that much on a sub... but on the other hand I don't want to buy something now and always wonder what something better would sound like
newc33's Avatar newc33 04:39 AM 09-25-2013
MMy room is either 14x20 or 16x20x9 (I always forget) its all enclosed except for a single 7wide x7-8 tall opening to the kitchen/dinning area. I'd have to measure thatextra space but I'd say its in the ballpark of 22x20x9

I don't know if sealed will work for that kind of area. Maybe a sun like the sunmerssive but idk. Do I need to be looking ported?
braveheart123's Avatar braveheart123 04:53 AM 09-25-2013
Quote:
MMy room is either 14x20 or 16x20x9 (I always forget) its all enclosed except for a single 7wide x7-8 tall opening to the kitchen/dinning area. I'd have to measure thatextra space but I'd say its in the ballpark of 22x20x9

I don't know if sealed will work for that kind of area. Maybe a sun like the sunmerssive but idk. Do I need to be looking ported?

Go with FV15HP duals. That single sub has been measured roughly 108dB @ 20Hz and that too at 2m ground plane. It translates to 114dB at 2m in-room @ 20Hz. With duals, it will be close to 120dB keeping every other thing constant.

Even if you are sitting 4m away, you would still get 112-114dB at your MLP. You already have another LV12R, so, add an extra 3-4dB making it a whopping 116-118dB @ 20Hz at your MLP. Now that's a lot. You will be just a tad short of THX reference, what else do you want?

I think it's all wastage of money going extra over already extra, which is never to be used 99% of the time. FV15HP is otherwise one hec of a sub.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 05:20 AM 09-25-2013
I think you would be very happy with dual FV15HPs. I think you should also sell the LV12r. It's not as powerful in components, it will be a be a bit slower, but maybe not noticeably so. You would have to set it up just right to get any contribution from it at all with respect to output, and it will not contribute anything with respect to sound quality, only diminish sound quality, if anything.
newc33's Avatar newc33 05:45 AM 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Go with FV15HP duals. That single sub has been measured roughly 108dB @ 20Hz and that too at 2m ground plane. It translates to 114dB at 2m in-room @ 20Hz. With duals, it will be close to 120dB keeping every other thing constant.

Even if you are sitting 4m away, you would still get 112-114dB at your MLP. You already have another LV12R, so, add an extra 3-4dB making it a whopping 116-118dB @ 20Hz at your MLP. Now that's a lot. You will be just a tad short of THX reference, what else do you want?

I think it's all wastage of money going extra over already extra, which is never to be used 99% of the time. FV15HP is otherwise one hec of a sub.

Thanks bravheart fornthe input. I'm glad u took the time to give me an idea of what kind of volume theese will pump out. I think you def right about what else could I possibly want to justify spending an extra 1500 for even more dbs.

I'm really leaning to the fv15hp option right now
newc33's Avatar newc33 05:48 AM 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think you would be very happy with dual FV15HPs. I think you should also sell the LV12r. It's not as powerful in components, it will be a be a bit slower, but maybe not noticeably so. You would have to set it up just right to get any contribution from it at all with respect to output, and it will not contribute anything with respect to sound quality, only diminish sound quality, if anything.

I talked to Dave from ascend about whether or not the lv12r will be able to blend with the fv15hp. He told me he thinks I should be able to do it with little problem.

That being said I have had mixed opinions on blending the two and I guess ill just have to try it myself. At that point if I don't like it I can sell it or add it to my little def tech pro 600 system
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 06:47 AM 09-25-2013
Hey newc33, among other shortcuts the LV12r is using a much lower end driver than the FV15HP (which is using the much more massive DS1510). The FV15HP will (probably) have a greater grip on the cone and therefore tighter sound quality. Two FV15HPs could give you around 9 or 10 dB of output over the LV12. The only way you are going to get a meaningful contribution in output from the LV12 over that kind of power is if you place it very close to you. The problem is, if it IS making a meaningful contribution to the output, its lower quality bass will be more prominent in the overall sound, thereby diminishing the overall sound quality. On the other hand, if it is trying to run on an equal footing with the FV15HPs, its clean output won't be heard at all, but it will hit its performance ceiling far sooner than the FV15HPs at which point it will rapidly drive up distortion in the overall bass sound. Anyway you run it, it is going to be a bottleneck.
newc33's Avatar newc33 07:03 PM 09-25-2013
Just ordered 2 fv15hps!!!!smile.gif
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 08:11 PM 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

Awsome!
braveheart123's Avatar braveheart123 10:20 PM 09-25-2013
Quote:

Finally ..........pheewwww. I so envy you
spyboy's Avatar spyboy 03:07 PM 09-26-2013
Good choice! I hope you will be satisfied for a long time. :-)
newc33's Avatar newc33 05:53 PM 09-26-2013
Ya there are so many options out there! I finally went with my gut instinct and pulled the trigger. Dave said that he was absolutely sure the fv15hp s would br enough in my room and I trust his opinion.

Plus spending 4k for dual submersives is just TO overboard I think.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 06:49 PM 09-26-2013
You'd better stop hanging out in the bass forum in that case wink.gif Next thing you know you want Mark Seaton to revive the Terraform XL for you as you dip into the kids' college funds. J/K! smile.gif
newc33's Avatar newc33 07:59 PM 09-26-2013
Haahhahah that's hilarious!!

Ya you gotta draw the line somewhere.

I decided I'd rather get fv15hps and spend the next batch of money
Towards room treatments, EQ, spl, etc. Anyway.

Also ill add a higher end reciever at some point
Tags: Fv15hp Subwoofer
Up
Mobile  Desktop