Add SVS sub to 7.1 Axiom EP500 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Current Setup: Axiom M60 7.1 setup with an EP500 sub driven by an Onkyo NR3007 (which has two discrete LFE outputs). Due to SAF, the deal was I could get whatever speakers I wanted (within budget of course) but it had to be a 'clean' built in kind of look. The room is almost square, which I know is less than ideal, but it was the only place I could put the theater.

I demo'd the EP500 in the room before it was built, but as I was building a custom wall-to-wall floor-to-celing entertainment center, I had to get the speakers first, and then build the cabinets around them. I did the sub-crawl, and found the best place for the sub (up front), was off center just a bit. Ascetically we built it into the cabinets front and center. Unfortunately, when we put cabinets on either side of the sub (the top is open- see my build thread for pics) we lost a good bit of midrange punch. There's just not a good place I could pull it out and put it right now due to it's size.

Don't get me wrong, the sub will still bring down the house for those real low rumble/explosion type effects. It still impresses me after several years with it.

But when I listen to music, I do miss the punchy, feel it in your chest, drums I used to get when it was out in the open. I've tried running my front speakers at full range but it gets a little muddy- but I probably could tinker with this setup a bit more to see if they can fill in. Or add a second sub to augment and smooth things out.

Enter the compact SVS-SB12. I've got a couple of spots I could hide this bad boy. I've read good reviews of this sub, especially for music. The only knocks it seems to get is where my EP500 currently shines. The metal grill means I could park the back up against a wall or sofa and keep little fingers off the driver as well.

My question (if you're still reading) is would mixing a smaller sub from a different company be a problem? I can configure both subs idependently with the AVR, and I can still let the EP500 handle the real deep stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Sounds like the HSU MBM is what your looking for, http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

Your first problem is sticking the EP500 where it looks good instead of where it sounds its best. You usually can't have both.

Second to get that kick in the chest you need output and it usually is the 60-100hrz freqs that give you that "slam". The EP500 and M60 will not give you what you want. The SVS SB12 NSD is not going to give you that either, its a small sealed subwoofer that SVS will tell you was designed for small compact systems for smaller rooms.

If the SVS SB12 NSD is something that you like and the size is right, sell the EP500 and try and place multiple SB12s around the room, one in the EP500s location and maybe 2 or 3 more scattered around the room. Thats if the HSU MBM 12 is something you don't want.

Another options would be to either buy another EP500 or to sell your EP500 and go with something with better performance and buy 2 of them. IMO the EP500 is an ok subwoofer but price about 40% too high.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Second to get that kick in the chest you need output and it usually is the 60-100hrz freqs that give you that "slam". The EP500 and M60 will not give you what you want. The SVS SB12 NSD is not going to give you that either, its a small sealed subwoofer that SVS will tell you was designed for small compact systems for smaller rooms.

+1

In a smaller sealed room like a bedroom, I would think the SB12 could have enough output. But in bigger rooms, I would suggest going with the PB12 instead.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I guess I was hoping the EP500 could carry the bulk of the work and adding a second smaller sub could fill the weak spots. I've read a lot about the benefits of dual subs but I guess they are usually matched better. I don't have room for a second EP500 at this point.

The mid range module is interesting. I may look more into that.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Take a look at SVS PC models. They offer some placement advantages while still being large ported subs with good punch.

You can lay them on their side behind a sofa, in a corner hidden by a potted plant etc....

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 201
SVS cylinder subs can't be beat.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Orly?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 201
For the money I haven't found anything I like better. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page