Wireless Subwoofer Setup for Dual Subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a (hopefully) quick question:

When using dual subs, should both be set-up using a wireless system like Rocketfish, or can one be wired and one wireless? My receiver has Audyssey MultiEQ XT for room correction, and I'm worried about it setting proper delays (distances) for the dual subs if they use different means of receiving the signal from the AVR.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Liked: 18
I don't think it makes any difference if one is wired and one wireless. I currently have two Rythmiks connected that way.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobio View Post

Just a (hopefully) quick question:

When using dual subs, should both be set-up using a wireless system like Rocketfish, or can one be wired and one wireless? My receiver has Audyssey MultiEQ XT for room correction, and I'm worried about it setting proper delays (distances) for the dual subs if they use different means of receiving the signal from the AVR.

Thanks.

Typically there is a small delay caused by the process transmitting the signal wirelessly. If you can account for this delay by adjusting the distance of each subwoofer independently you should be fine. Even if you cannot, you should feel free to test it out, the delay may be below your personal threshold to notice.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Forget rocket fish. Use these

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-580

If the subs are not the same distance from the listening position, you will need to use the phase adjustment to fine tune them regardless of the connection choice.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
why forget the rocket fish? they are the only ones that operate on a 5ghz band so there is no interference with 2.4ghz devices such as wifi internet. They also do not have a hpf below 20hz...and lastly I have a pair and they work flawless. smile.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

why forget the rocket fish? they are the only ones that operate on a 5ghz band so there is no interference with 2.4ghz devices such as wifi internet. They also do not have a hpf below 20hz...and lastly I have a pair and they work flawless. smile.gif

Where do you see it transmits below 20?

Also the wireless tech isn't the same as wifi

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #7 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Because i have measured with and without the wireless and get the same extension smile.gif. And yes folks have reported having issues with wireless internet interference with 2.4ghz wireless sub devices. AustinJerry is the first person that comes to mind.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
The Dayton SubLink can work with one transmitter and two receivers, provided two kits are purchased. We measured this unit -3 dB @ 6.5 Hz, it links up quickly, stays connected, has a decent S/N ratio, and in my testing proved quite immune to 2.4 GHz interference. I threw the 2.4 GHz book at it and it passed all tests, only to finally act up a bit with my iPhone literally 2" inches from the transmitter.

The latency of this unit is about 25 ms, which equates to ~27 feet of subwoofer distance, so I definitely recommend going wireless to both units unless the AVR has the ability to independently set distance for each subwoofer. Phasing wired and wireless subs using the variable phase control is also an option, but in my testing proved less optimal than starting with both subs wireless and then using the variable phase to fine-tune.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #9 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

The Dayton SubLink can work with one transmitter and two receivers, provided two kits are purchased. We measured this unit -3 dB @ 6.5 Hz, it links up quickly, stays connected, has a decent S/N ratio, and in my testing proved quite immune to 2.4 GHz interference. I threw the 2.4 GHz book at it and it passed all tests, only to finally act up a bit with my iPhone literally 2" inches from the transmitter.

The latency of this unit is about 25 ms, which equates to ~27 feet of subwoofer distance, so I definitely recommend going wireless to both units unless the AVR has the ability to independently set distance for each subwoofer. Phasing wired and wireless subs using the variable phase control is also an option, but in my testing proved less optimal than starting with both subs wireless and then using the variable phase to fine-tune.

I was originally going to go with these per Tom V. but they were out of stock at the time, so fortunately the Rocketfish proved to be a great alternative. smile.gif

The delay is about the same per your post, but I can sit my Note 2 right next to transmitter with no issues. smile.gif

I ended up using 2 wireless devices and you are correct it was easier to tune the subs. The AVR did a better job getting the distances set correctly.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Sounds like having both subs on a wireless transmitter will be easier to set-up, especially since I'll have one near field and the other one in the front of the room, and my AVR only has a single sub eq.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page