post #3421 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

If anyone goes quad around here it be me first lol. Man you know the only thing left that I could possibly do would be to go quad with the Triaxes biggrin.gif . If I did I would stack the 2nd pair on top of my first 2 up front. The only thing though that I would need to figure out is how to feed them enough power. With 2 I get some dimming of lights but im a little worried if 4 would start tripping the breaker. I only have a 15amp circuit for my whole setup. I suppose I could run a heavy gauge extension cord for a 2nd pair and tap into an outlet from a different circuit. Not sure though if i'd have to run it to the upper floor eek.gif

Hey Black, I just made the quad leap, not Triaxs but four XV15SEs, I can't believe you're running everything off a 15 amp breaker, I have two dedicated 20 amp breakers for my setup and I was worried! Try that little trick if you have a volt meter or multimeter, with the subs turned off measure your outlet voltage and then fire them up and push them a bit and then check your outlet while the subs are playing, if you get the same reading you got when they were off then you're OK. Having quad Triaxs stacked was a concept that PSA was considering and decided on the original Triax, imagine a cabinet with six drivers of the Triax's caliber eek.gif 450 pounds. Are you seriously thinking of going for quad Triaxs? I ran my own Romex 12 AWG and installed two twenty amp breakers and I'm no electrician, I would consider that before running long extension cords.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Hey Black, I just made the quad leap, not Triaxs but four XV15SEs, I can't believe you're running everything off a 15 amp breaker, I have two dedicated 20 amp breakers for my setup and I was worried! Try that little trick if you have a volt meter or multimeter, with the subs turned off measure your outlet voltage and then fire them up and push them a bit and then check your outlet while the subs are playing, if you get the same reading you got when they were off then you're OK. Having quad Triaxs stacked was a concept that PSA was considering and decided on the original Triax, imagine a cabinet with six drivers of the Triax's caliber eek.gif 450 pounds. Are you seriously thinking of going for quad Triaxs? I ran my own Romex 12 AWG and installed two twenty amp breakers and I'm no electrician, I would consider that before running long extension cords.
Cheers Jeff

Well im in the works with talking to another company here for work, if things go through then i'll have a bump in income smile.gif I'd say if I did go quad it'd be something that I could pull off in maybe 4 or 5 months as long as all my other goals stay in check. I have that monster conditioner that gives me a digital readout. Would that be something I could plug the subs into and see?

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Triax!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3423 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
No do not plugn the Triax's into a power conditioner.
ahblaza likes this.
post #3424 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

No do not plugn the Triax's into a power conditioner.

oops smile.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #3425 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well im in the works with talking to another company here for work, if things go through then i'll have a bump in income smile.gif I'd say if I did go quad it'd be something that I could pull off in maybe 4 or 5 months as long as all my other goals stay in check. I have that monster conditioner that gives me a digital readout. Would that be something I could plug the subs into and see?

Good for you my friend, go for it. I don't think that Monster would do the job, go out and buy a cheap digital or analog multimeter, you can get them for under $15. You just want to see if and how much the voltage changes with the subs powered off and playing while being pushed, sometimes your receptacle could be under powering your components (subs). The voltage should stay the same for both powered down and powered on, blinking or dimming lights is an indicator of a lot of current or power draw on a circuit. You're probably fine, I don't want you to get all frantic over this but it's a good thing to know.
I can get real anal sometimes, I even went this far and will be doing it again soon as I add new components, it's not rocket science but I feel it's important. Here are a couple of good examples, different then the above test.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/acpolarity.html

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/JUL01/EQUIP/equip3JUL01.html

These are good and not lengthy reads.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #3426 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good for you my friend, go for it. I don't think that Monster would do the job, go out and buy a cheap digital or analog multimeter, you can get them for under $15. You just want to see if and how much the voltage changes with the subs powered off and playing while being pushed, sometimes your receptacle could be under powering your components (subs). The voltage should stay the same for both powered down and powered on, blinking or dimming lights is an indicator of a lot of current or power draw on a circuit. You're probably fine, I don't want you to get all frantic over this but it's a good thing to know.
I can get real anal sometimes, I even went this far and will be doing it again soon as I add new components, it's not rocket science but I feel it's important. Here are a couple of good examples, different then the above test.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/acpolarity.html

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/JUL01/EQUIP/equip3JUL01.html

These are good and not lengthy reads.
Cheers Jeff

Well knowing how I like to crank these beasts, it's be a good idea to take this time and go over options to get more juice down here to the basement. I rent the house so i've got to find a way where I don't cut into anything like walls eek.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #3427 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Well knowing how I like to crank these beasts, it's be a good idea to take this time and go over options to get more juice down here to the basement. I rent the house so i've got to find a way where I don't cut into anything like walls eek.gif

I ran long heavy duty extensions cords for two of my Triax's so they each have their own circuit. Tom said that should be fine.

In fact 3 of my 4 (yep - quad Triax's) are on the own 20 amp circuit. The other one currently shares a 15 amp circuit with my avr and amps (and I think some stuff from my kitchen).

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #3428 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where's your breaker box, you need to find out everything that's on your circuit or breaker that you're using for your HT setup. Just plug a light into the receptacles around your setup and trip the breaker that your HT components are connected to and you'll see which outlets are actually being used with your main HT rig. I added a second dedicated 20 amp breaker and the four other outlets in my HT are all on the same breaker except for a small light fixture. The dedicated breaker is just that, dedicated to only the devices that I choose to put inline with them. I get light dimming too but it's not on my HT setup, it's on a different breaker, like when the refrigerators click on a light may flicker once in a while but this has nothing to do with my two breakers for my HT.

j_nordi
post #3429 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I ran long heavy duty extensions cords for two of my Triax's so they each have their own circuit. Tom said that should be fine.

In fact 3 of my 4 (yep - quad Triax's) are on the own 20 amp circuit. The other one currently shares a 15 amp circuit with my avr and amps (and I think some stuff from my kitchen).

Heavy duty (homemade) extensions are great and will work fine, 10-12 AWG is usually reco'd and since you have the Triaxs (3) on a separate 20 amp circuit (breaker) you're good to go

j_nordi
post #3430 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you're going to run extension cords down to your basement you need to know what your running them from (what's on the circuit your cheating from) wink.gif

j_nordi
post #3431 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

What's it like to have 1,000lbs of subs???eek.gif Together we can bring down the walls of China biggrin.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #3432 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where's your breaker box, you need to find out everything that's on your circuit or breaker that you're using for your HT setup. Just plug a light into the receptacles around your setup and trip the breaker that your HT components are connected to and you'll see which outlets are actually being used with your main HT rig. I added a second dedicated 20 amp breaker and the four other outlets in my HT are all on the same breaker except for a small light fixture. The dedicated breaker is just that, dedicated to only the devices that I choose to put inline with them. I get light dimming too but it's not on my HT setup, it's on a different breaker, like when the refrigerators click on a light may flicker once in a while but this has nothing to do with my two breakers for my HT.

Well i'm in the basement and the fuse box is all the way outside in the garage. last time my Triaxes tripped the breaker was when I was doing a bass sweep and the circuit for my setup is basically a 15 amp that runs the whole basement down here. So my whole setup and my sisters room down here shares that same circuit.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #3433 of 3438 Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Upstairs theres alot of different circuits, I could run an extension cord up the corner of one of the front sides of my setups and through the ceiling. hmm i'll have to investigate, theres other rooms down here like a laundry room, maybe it's on a seperate circuit.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #3434 of 3438 Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Upstairs theres alot of different circuits, I could run an extension cord up the corner of one of the front sides of my setups and through the ceiling. hmm i'll have to investigate, theres other rooms down here like a laundry room, maybe it's on a seperate circuit.

It's more than likely that the laundry room is on a different breaker, probably has it's own breaker as appliances need that, it probably has it's own 20 amp breaker, you could cheat off that, just don't wash or dry clothes while watching or playing music, that seems like your best bet rather than going through the upstairs floor. You have a lot of stuff on that single breaker, I don't know how you're not tripping breakers especially at peak current draws. smile.gif
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #3435 of 3438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

It's more than likely that the laundry room is on a different breaker, probably has it's own breaker as appliances need that, it probably has it's own 20 amp breaker, you could cheat off that, just don't wash or dry clothes while watching or playing music, that seems like your best bet rather than going through the upstairs floor. You have a lot of stuff on that single breaker, I don't know how you're not tripping breakers especially at peak current draws. smile.gif
Cheers Jeff

I am pretty sure Tom mentioned that a breaker can temporarily pass several times it's rated amps for a few seconds before popping. Most big bass hits are quick. Mid he payed long sine waves it might be a different story. Also, I think the more subs you have the less each has to work and the less power they draw.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #3436 of 3438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah bass sweeps are the only thing that's ever actually tripped my breaker. On movie night we cut the lights off and everything goes great. Man I need to make some new video clips, but I feel so lazy eek.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #3437 of 3438 Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Yeah bass sweeps are the only thing that's ever actually tripped my breaker. On movie night we cut the lights off and everything goes great. Man I need to make some new video clips, but I feel so lazy eek.gif
Might have to watch out with Lone Survivor at THX Reference. The loud 6-7Hz tone in the chopper scenes have already tripped numerous bass addicts breakers (including guys who have their multiple subs EACH running off a dedicated 20A circuit).

Max
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #3438 of 3438 Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Might have to watch out with Lone Survivor at THX Reference. The loud 6-7Hz tone in the chopper scenes have already tripped numerous bass addicts breakers (including guys who have their multiple subs EACH running off a dedicated 20A circuit).

Max

hmm did'nt know about that scene biggrin.gif Movie releases have been slow lately but in a couple of weeks i'll be cranking the new 300 movie, woohooo! Then The Raid 2 comes out.. offcourse lets not forget when Godzilla comes out on bluray hehehe there will be an earthquake in my town!!

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Power Sound Audio Triax

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page