post #781 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionrm View Post

I finally got around to opening my box up and moving the Triax around. I thought I would take some picture to share with you guys. This is the espresso version. I'll still have to wait till tomorrow to get help getting this bad boy upstairs to my media room. I would take some pictures of my prius but I see that we are banned from showing of our luxury sport vehicles.
DSCN3378.JPG 3791k .JPG file
DSCN3379.JPG 4316k .JPG file
DSCN3375.JPG 4347k .JPG file
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

That is true, i just got the reg Triax, the Veneer are sexy but not worth the money to me in my setup, cant wait to hear what you think of the Triax.
I am with you. My Noesis are almost the identical finish, so getting veneered subs would be kind of a waste also the fact mine will be hidden. I however love the standard finish on the PSA subs. Certainly very durable. The Triax does look very nice in the veneers, I want to see one in the black ash or black oak is it?

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

OK, I am officially an idiot....

Had pure direct turned on and was bypassing Audyssey XT32, here is a graph with it enabled, I am pretty happy with this considering I just pushed them behind the couch and did no sub crawl or anything of the sort. Looks like +/- 3db down to 7hz right?

I I hope I am doing this correctly........

looks good...can you use 1/6 or 1/12 smoothing. 1/6 is suppose to be more in line with what we can hear.
dominguez1 likes this.
post #783 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I am officially an idiot....

Had pure direct turned on and was bypassing Audyssey XT32, here is a graph with it enabled, I am pretty happy with this considering I just pushed them behind the couch and did no sub crawl or anything of the sort. Looks like +/- 3db down to 7hz right?

I I hope I am doing this correctly........

Close to a smile smile.gif

My System

post #784 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
That’s definitely up close, with a little tweaking I think ryan could spread the drop a little. Edited last post. What do yuh think bass?

WOW! look at those pics!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #785 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

That’s definitely up close, with a little tweaking I think ryan could spread the drop a little. Edited last post. What do yuh think bass?

Oh yea no doubt.
post #786 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

WOW! look at those pics!

What kind of tweaking can I do other than running Audyssey? Moving the subs around?

Watched WWZ tonight, grenade scene was insane. I will try to graph it tomorrow. Several other really deep bass scenes too. I really enjoyed that movie, but I generally like zombie movies.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #787 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

looks good...can you use 1/6 or 1/12 smoothing. 1/6 is suppose to be more in line with what we can hear.

Definitely. In bed already but will do it tomorrow.

post #788 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You might try spacing them out so they are more towards the end of the couches. By the looks of the graph I would say you are really close already.
post #789 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't have to re-run REW, was able to apply the smoothing to the run I had already completed, 1/6th smoothing

post #790 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't have to re-run REW, was able to apply the smoothing to the run I had already completed, 1/6th smoothing

looks like to be +/-5db from your highest and lowest point. Still really good for pretty much minimal setup time. As mentioned in my previous post, you might try spacing them out a bit and see what that does. I dont think you will have much trouble tweaking it in at all.
post #791 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

looks like to be +/-5db from your highest and lowest point. Still really good for pretty much minimal setup time. As mentioned in my previous post, you might try spacing them out a bit and see what that does. I dont think you will have much trouble tweaking it in at all.

I will give that a try tomorrow.

I guess I can turn off Audyssey run REW, move the sub(s) run REW until I get it looking better. At that point I could run Audyssey again. I would rather not run Audssey after everything I move the sub. It takes a while to run it for 8 positions.

post #792 of 3438 Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What kind of tweaking can I do other than running Audyssey? Moving the subs around?

Watched WWZ tonight, grenade scene was insane. I will try to graph it tomorrow. Several other really deep bass scenes too. I really enjoyed that movie, but I generally like zombie movies.

Yes I would try to get the best response you can by moving the subs around in different positions like bass is suggesting. I’m not familiar with your room of course, but most rooms have their issues.. so far your first plot/position is the best so far. I have no doubt at all that the grenade scene was insane and your plot suggests it would be. Your at +-3 at about 12hz with no null first graph, just that little 3dB rise, (pfff) much better to have that than –3dB imo. Great for HT. Here is a graph presented in a different way that’s not so different than yours except it drops instead of rises, oh and drops like a rock at 14hz. It’s (19hz dip) has been addressed now with dsp, but it gives you a good idea of what I’m talking about.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #793 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are your room dimensions? Pics? You may try posting this info in the REW thread. I have got lots of help the last couple weeks and today found the permanent spot for my two Submersives. There really is science behind placement!

Yea the grenade scene was freakin nuts! I am working on a house curve and I thought the roof was gonna fall in!

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #794 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

What kind of tweaking can I do other than running Audyssey?

For the lower, left end of the graph, using the AVR menu, turn the subwoofer level down a dB or two. You'd be surprised how much you can steer a graph in this fashion. If you have multiple subs, find out which is the dominant subwoofer and use the gain control to steer the graph.

Check the distance setting in the AVR main menu. Changing this works for others. Doesn't work for our system but does work for others.

Another thought, before running frequency sweeps, allow the subwoofer amplifier a minimum of twenty minutes to warm up as this will make a difference to the stability of the graph.

(the above is based on personal experience with our subwoofer sound reproduction system)

-
post #795 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 113
For Triax owners remember you have the dsp settings button that changes the roll off. Remember to try both settings while your tweaking your setup.

Graphs and Text that follows from PSA website. From the measurement tab on the Triax page.

* 2 meter ground plane (1/6 Octave smoothing)
Program select button IN = BLUE
Program select button OUT = RED

ShaunH
post #796 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ +1 Good catch! Great room optimizing option to have. small, large, lossy or sealed.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #797 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

For Triax owners remember you have the dsp settings button that changes the roll off. Remember to try both settings while your tweaking your setup.

Graphs and Text that follows from PSA website. From the measurement tab on the Triax page.

* 2 meter ground plane (1/6 Octave smoothing)
Program select button IN = BLUE
Program select button OUT = RED

A little food for thought.

Those running audyssey who want a boost down low should run audyssey with the program select button in. Then after the run, move program select button out and reset amp for effects to take place. smile.gif Many have done this with the subm with great results.

Can do the opposite to minimize compression down low at max output and keep a more linear response. You can see this on the compression sweeps between the two modes.

Its fun to see the first reports coming in. I am happy to see those getting the measurements going to get the most out of their new subs! cool.gif
ellisr63 and steve nn like this.
post #798 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

A little food for thought.

Those running audyssey who want a boost down low should run audyssey with the program select button in. Then after the run, move program select button out and reset amp for effects to take place. smile.gif Many have done this with the subm with great results.

Can do the opposite to minimize compression down low at max output and keep a more linear response. You can see this on the compression sweeps between the two modes.

Its fun to see the first reports coming in. I am happy to see those getting the measurements going to get the most out of their new subs! cool.gif
I will try this, is resetting the amp simply turning it off and then back on? I'd also like to know where most Triax owners have set their gain.
ellisr63 and Saturn94 like this.
post #799 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

I will try this, is resetting the amp simply turning it off and then back on? I'd also like to know where most Triax owners have set their gain.

+1
ellisr63 likes this.

post #800 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone plan on buying new subwoofer cables for the Triax? I am wondering if there may be any interference with the balanced adapter that came with the Triax. I was looking around for a new sub cable with both a balanced and XLR connections, but did not see one. I am sure they exist. Just curiosity here.

My System

post #801 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You got it, just turning it off and back on. Needs a power cycle for the change to take place.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #802 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Code:
S
Quote:

I have mine set at 7

post #803 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Anyone plan on buying new subwoofer cables for the Triax? I am wondering if there may be any interference with the balanced adapter that came with the Triax. I was looking around for a new sub cable with both a balanced and XLR connections, but did not see one. I am sure they exist. Just curiosity here.
http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Product/Details/4778?mainCategoryId=115&categoryId=11509&subCategoryId=1150902

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #804 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Initially I plan on sticking with my current unbalanced cable and use the adaptor. My pre/pro (Anthem AVM20) does offer balanced outputs, so I may give that a try in the future, if for nothing else perhaps just to have a "cleaner" looking connection/setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

You got it, just turning it off and back on. Needs a power cycle for the change to take place.

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm guessing this is mentioned in the owners manual?
ellisr63 likes this.

post #805 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Congratulations to all the new Triax owners. It's great to have another sealed, opposed-force subwoofer option available. I fully expect this sub to be a very strong competitor in this segment. It looks great too!

Craig
oneeyeblind likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #806 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 439
raynist,

A few things to help you get these sounding better and flatter.

First, you're definitely on the right track by deciding to turn off Audyssey and run REW during the sub crawl. May I also recommend to use no smoothing in all your REW sweeps - this will not only help you see the nuanced differences between positions, but also it prevents frequency anomalies from sneaking in without you seeing them.

Secondly, if you haven't been already, make sure that in REW, each new measurement you take gets labeled with positioning info so you can return to that position later & repeat the measurement(s) to verify.

Third, increase the volume on your AVR so that your sweeps aren't impacted by any outside factors. Starting at 90-100dB sweeps will help avoid this. If you do this, you'll prolly want to wear ear plugs. Also, do all of this with the program select button pressed IN. You'll change this later. You can also change the measurements results window to only show the region you're actively measuring - from 5-80Hz.

Lastly, trying odd combinations of positions may work, but also remember that you likely want to find the best response before Audyssey AND you want that position to actually work for you in your day-to-day life.

A few notable positions to try:

Opposite corners up front
Both on opposite middle of side walls
One up front and center, other opposite side middle wall.

Your third is going to really tie the room together, so keep that in mind. Potential best spot will be one up front & center, other two mid side walls, but that varies by room.

If you're lucky, you'll be able to get something like this with the above positioning and no EQ:

Then, once you've found the best spot, re-run Audyssey with the program select button on the Speakerpower amp pushed in. Once it's done, re-measure. If you're satisfied with the results, let the program select button out and proceed to victory over your room!

Best of luck. smile.gif

post #807 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Anyone order the American Cherry veneer? Would love to see some pic's with that finish.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
post #808 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lastly, trying odd combinations of positions may work, but also remember that you likely want to find the best response before Audyssey AND you want that position to actually work for you in your day-to-day life.

+1

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #809 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm guessing this is mentioned in the owners manual?

I am assuming it functions the same as the program select button on the speakerpower amp used in the submersive hp. I haven't seen the manual and further clarification from PSA would be a good idea. It would be easy to measure to see if it is necessary, and it won't hurt to power it on and off even if its not necessary I suppose.smile.gif
post #810 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Liked: 25
FYI, I had a pretty loud hum when I first plugged it in. I have my other stereo stuff in same circuit so can try to find source of hum in future. I bought .49 cent cheater plug and it is now absolutely silent. I called PSA Friday to ask about using one and they said no problem. They actually use cheater plugs when they are testing etc.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags