post #841 of 3438 Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Hu! I have never seen those movies, there are some good ones coming up though. I'm hoping ELYSIUM is good.

Let's see, WWZ, Star Trek, Pacific Rim, for now then Man of steel, And Elysium should be good too with the Triax. There's a bunch of others in the mix, hit or misses. I was just looking at my bluerays, I remember this one movie I've got that's pretty intense, "Law Abiding Citizen" then beside it I've got "The Professional" man I love those 2 movies.
ellisr63 likes this.

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

It is addicting!

With that type of graph, what's your opinion of the movie sound tracks you've listened to? Have you sat and watched a whole movie yet?
post #843 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When on, but not receiving a signal each triax is using between 21-22 watts. Both together is 43w. I will probably turn them off as I have very easy access to the power buttons. Really though, how much does 21w cost a month?

---just checked an electricity usage calculator. At 22w for 24 hours for a year is about $19.

It's not about the few pennies but in California, the few extra kW will kick you up to the next billing tier. In California, the next tier is $0.43/kW. Using 43w/hr, it works out to $13.33/mo or $159.96/yr. Multiply that type of excess a half dozen times a year, exampled by people saying, how much can this be? And one has two or three thousand dollars marching out the door that can't be used to buy other things.

Kansas City won yesterday's game by one point. What's one point some might say. One point is the difference between a 7-0 season and a 6-1 season.

Cincinnati hit a last-second field goal for the win.

When old and retired, one tends to see things in a different light.

Just saying.

-
ellisr63 likes this.
post #844 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It's not about the few pennies but in California, the few extra kW will kick you up to the next billing tier. In California, the next tier is $0.43/kW. Using 43w/hr, it works out to $13.33/mo or $159.96/yr. Multiply that type of excess a half dozen times a year, exampled by people saying, how much can this be? And one has two or three thousand dollars marching out the door that can't be used to buy other things.

Kansas City won yesterday's game by one point. What's one point some might say. One point is the difference between a 7-0 season and a 6-1 season.

Just saying.

-

Well I would certainly turn them off in that case!

I think our rate is around 6-8 cents with no tiers.

For those that can't easily access the power buttons, could you use a heavy duty power center with a switch on it? I am not sure if it is detrimental to power off that way vs the power button. We would probably need to check with Tom on that.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #845 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With that type of graph, what's your opinion of the movie sound tracks you've listened to? Have you sat and watched a whole movie yet?

I watched pacific rim and world war z.

Pacific rim was pretty much a barrage of bass, but nothing very deep.

WWZ on the other hand had some serious deep bass that made my house make strange noises!

Watch in both movies it was evident immediate how much more powerful these subs are than what I had before.

Watch a few portions of concert blu rays also and it is just as good with music.

post #846 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Watch in both movies it was evident immediate how much more powerful these subs are than what I had before.

Thanks! It's comments like your above that makes people on the next tier or two down.....sigh.....I want three. tongue.gif

Dumb question on my part, with Triax subs, do you find the movie more engaging or do you just notice the subwoofers?
post #847 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I do not want to leave my amps burning the whole time. I could care less about the electric, but I am worried about damage to the amps. I want them to work when I need them, not to mention that when I trade them up or sell them to the next guy, I would like them to be in excellent working condition. I am going to look around for a wall socket adapter with a timer or on off switch of some sort. See what I can dig up. I know I am going to fall a sleep in my favorite leather chair like last night with the amps on.

I watched Hulk (2003) which IMO was better than The Incredible Hulk (2008). It has been awhile since I seen the (2008) Hulk so I cannot compare the bass. I really enjoyed the movie with the Triax's. This is my goto demo disc for a bit. Best Buy has been getting in some steel book movies with the bluray and dvd for $14.99 Allot of these movie in the steel book are on the 3, 4 and 5 star list in the Master list of bass thread. Anyone interested, take a peek in your local BB and see what you find. Wal Mart has them to.
post #848 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I do not want to leave my amps burning the whole time. I could care less about the electric, but I am worried about damage to the amps. I want them to work when I need them, not to mention that when I trade them up or sell them to the next guy, I would like them to be in excellent working condition. I am going to look around for a wall socket adapter with a timer or on off switch of some sort. See what I can dig up. I know I am going to fall a sleep in my favorite leather chair like last night with the amps on.

I watched Hulk (2003) which IMO was better than The Incredible Hulk (2008). It has been awhile since I seen the (2008) Hulk so I cannot compare the bass. I really enjoyed the movie with the Triax's. This is my goto demo disc for a bit. Best Buy has been getting in some steel book movies with the bluray and dvd for $14.99 Allot of these movie in the steel book are on the 3, 4 and 5 star list in the Master list of bass thread. Anyone interested, take a peek in your local BB and see what you find. Wal Mart has them to.

I wonder, my Monster power conditioner supposedly shuts off power to devices after theyre in idle for so long, I wonder if power conditioners in general do this and if this could be an option for people. I plug all my devices to the back of it to their dedicated slots and I guess these conditioners prolong the life of the equipment this way, protect from power surges, and provide proper voltage which is displayed in the front via digital panel. Not bad for a couple hundred dollar investment.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #849 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am going to look around for a wall socket adapter with a timer or on off switch of some sort. See what I can dig up. I know I am going to fall a sleep in my favorite leather chair like last night with the amps on.

Can you connect to the switched wall switch, used to turn the living room light on? Get a clapper? tongue.gif Hire a PA to do your bidding? Ahhhhh, Jeeves, would you be a sport and turn the subwoofers off?

I find the best (old issues) Blu-ray prices to be delivered, used, from Amazon; ~$9.00.
post #850 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! It's comments like your above that makes people on the next tier or two down.....sigh.....I want three. tongue.gif

Dumb question on my part, with Triax subs, do you find the movie more engaging or do you just notice the subwoofers?
I think the Triax's blend in way better with my system than with the XV-30's. It is hard to explain, but I guess I can say the Triax's just put out a nice deep low bass, not overpowering, different than what I have had in the past. I have heard other guys talking about the subs digging deeper and hearing the really low bass and I know what they are saying now. I am loving sealed subs. Me and the wife were in the kitchen while the movie was running last night and the ceiling was literally creaking and cracking and she said I am pretty nervous about damage to the walls, LOL that is rich!!
post #851 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

I wonder, my Monster power conditioner supposedly shuts off power to devices after theyre in idle for so long, I wonder if power conditioners in general do this and if this could be an option for people. I plug all my devices to the back of it to their dedicated slots and I guess these conditioners prolong the life of the equipment this way, protect from power surges, and provide proper voltage which is displayed in the front via digital panel. Not bad for a couple hundred dollar investment.
I recently got a Panamax 5400, but I do not use it for the subs or the amp. I heard some people saying you should not plug in amplifiers to a power conditioner? I guess there are a few reasons, but one is that they can sometimes restrict power to the amp? I have just followed what people have said and just plug directly to the wall with amps and sub amps. I do plug the AVR in, seems to be fine, but then again I am not pushing my AVR very hard.
post #852 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I recently got a Panamax 5400, but I do not use it for the subs or the amp. I heard some people saying you should not plug in amplifiers to a power conditioner? I guess there are a few reasons, but one is that they can sometimes restrict power to the amp? I have just followed what people have said and just plug directly to the wall with amps and sub amps. I do plug the AVR in, seems to be fine, but then again I am not pushing my AVR very hard.

Ive heard that too but was never sure about it. On my power conditioner theres 2 unswitched high current slots on the end of it but im not really sure if theyd restrict the Triax. Id like to know more about how these conditioners work but there is a diagram on the top showing the layout of the internals and im not sure I understand them yet. Def great for the other devices though. Have you had any powers issues like tripping the breaker? How many amps is the breaker that your dual Triaxs are running off?

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #853 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think the Triax's blend in way better with my system than with the XV-30's. It is hard to explain, but I guess I can say the Triax's just put out a nice deep low bass, not overpowering, different than what I have had in the past. I have heard other guys talking about the subs digging deeper and hearing the really low bass and I know what they are saying now. I am loving sealed subs.

Thanks! We're looking to upgrade to a sealed system but it will be a tier or two down from a set of Triax subs. Besides the obvious Triax improvement, do you think what you're hearing is the difference between vented XV30s vs sealed Triax subwoofer? I guess my question revolves around how much a lower tier person is missing out on; Prism vs Power-X. In an effort to expand on the Prism line, I have suspicion that Tom will be coming out with a 12" Prism subwoofer.

Quote:

FWIW, I had the electrician come out and convert all our living room duplex plugs to fourplex plugs. Did the same in one of the bathrooms as we have always needed three plugs and a spare. This way we don't need power strips as everything is plugged into the wall.

-
post #854 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a bit odd the amp doesn't have an auto on feature, but isn't it use in a number if other subs?

I wonder what their users are doing?

post #855 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is a bit odd the amp doesn't have an auto on feature, but isn't it use in a number if other subs?

Good question, I know my Trinity subwoofer automatically detects when theres signal, ill just leave enough gap with the Triax to have easy access. I guess even if someone forgets to switch it off from time to time it wouldnt do any harm either way.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #856 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We have an auto on feature with one of our subs and I choose to manually turn it on and off. Old habit I guess.
post #857 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:

My subs have auto but I do use this with my set up. It has a master (green) that my Pre/Pro is plugged into and several slaves to that plug.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A816FM/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9.2 System.....
Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 Powered by Emotiva XPA-5 X 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains
Klipsch RC-64II Center
Klipsch RB-75s Heights
Klipsch RS-7's Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-52II's Rear Surrounds
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 12...
post #858 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

I have a power center that has plugs that will always stay on, then plugs that will switch off if I flip the power center off/on switch on the face plate. That is an option
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #859 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ive heard that too but was never sure about it. On my power conditioner theres 2 unswitched high current slots on the end of it but im not really sure if theyd restrict the Triax. Id like to know more about how these conditioners work but there is a diagram on the top showing the layout of the internals and im not sure I understand them yet. Def great for the other devices though. Have you had any powers issues like tripping the breaker? How many amps is the breaker that your dual Triaxs are running off?
Zero power issues. There is a thread over at Audiohaulics that touched on the possible breaker issues with the Triax. The first night I had the Triax, I accidentally plugged it in the same socket that I have my power conditioner with all my equipment minus the amp plugged into. That is everything I have running on one socket and I ran the sub pretty hard for what fours hours and the breaker never tripped and that is a 15amp line. I have reassigned the power to the subs and they are now on their own outlet and on different breakers. But again, no power problems yet to speak of. In my new room, I will be installing all 20 amp outlets and breakers.
Quote:

Thanks! We're looking to upgrade to a sealed system but it will be a tier or two down from a set of Triax subs. Besides the obvious Triax improvement, do you think what you're hearing is the difference between vented XV30s vs sealed Triax subwoofer? I guess my question revolves around how much a lower tier person is missing out on; Prism vs Power-X. In an effort to expand on the Prism line, I have suspicion that Tom will be coming out with a 12" Prism subwoofer.
FWIW, I had the electrician come out and convert all our living room duplex plugs to fourplex plugs. Did the same in one of the bathrooms as we have always needed three plugs and a spare. This way we don't need power strips as everything is plugged into the wall.
Night and day. I hate to say it, but there is a diffeence and you are missing some content. However it seems that most of the LF in movies these days are filtered at 20hz and 30hz, so really your not missing much, but for those special films that are unfiltered, that is a different story. These subs are performing very nicely, I am happy, but I have to say, I still want more biggrin.gif I am working on getting some equipment here to get them tweaked and tuned properly.

I would also keep your eyes in the AVS Classifieds. If you looking for subs, deals come and go. I mean Popalock just sold a dual opposing SI 15" sub. I have seen this sub in person before and it was sweet! He did a great job on it and he sold it for a steal. Another member in the NE GTG group snatched it up. I was happy to see him get it. I had my VX-30's listed in there for a short time and then just decided to trade them. If there is anyway to get a Triax or two, I highly recommend or try for dual XS30's. I am sure that would be a big jump.

Quote:

On the other hand, the sub does have the signal light and clip lights, which is nice, but the standby auto was so nice. This is in no way PSA's fault. I know Tom told me these amps are very pricy and probably one of the best on the market. I will certainly take quality and work on the little things.
-
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #860 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I have a power center that has plugs that will always stay on, then plugs that will switch off if I flip the power center off/on switch on the face plate. That is an option

That sounds like a good one too

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #861 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I think they make some outlets that can be controlled by your phone also

I saw something on amazon that had 3 separate wall adapters that were controlled by a rf remote.

Was rated at 1000w though.

post #862 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Raynist, when you get a chance can you take a max spl sweep? I am curious to see compression characteristics between a standard 80-90db sweep and a max spl sweep. I also would like to see the output them beasts are generating. A basic 80-90db sweep that you posted is great for getting a idea of the subs frequency response, but it does not tell the whole story.

For example here are a couple graphs I took a while back when I only had dual XV15's

Top graph is a standard sweep and the bottom is max spl.

Aside from the peak(i took these measurements with no eq'ing), you can see the top graph is pretty much flat down to 15hz. when I run the max spl sweep I start to see some compression below 25hz, but its still maintains +/-3.5db from 15-25hz and 45-85hz.

Max output was 113.5db @ 15hz, 132db @ 32hz, 120.5db @60hz.
Avg. max output from 15-60hz = 122db. Which is dam close to what my spl meter would show. Actually with source content I could get another 2-3db(125db) of additional output since test tone material is much more demanding.

I since added a third XV15 to knock down the peak which it did. I plan on taking some new measurements soon when I get a chance. According to my spl meter I have pegged 130db on a few occasions, but on average 126-128db read out is what I get, with 116-117db around 15hz(test tone). I will update in the PSA thread to not clutter this thread. I am just trying to show you examples.

Looking Forward to seeing what those Beatly Triax's belt out down into the lower octaves. I am betting 115-117db @ 10hz.
post #863 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 208
^ be sure to wear ear plugs and secure any breakables. I did a 105 with my Submersives and I got scared for the walls. I had weak wood paneling though...
post #864 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Just saying.

-
Can you use a trigger to power up the Triax?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #865 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

That sounds like a good one too
Black, have you contacted PA to see when your Triax will be ready? Curious because I have a 2nd one coming and I'm sure I ordered it after yours.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #866 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

^ be sure to wear ear plugs and secure any breakables. I did a 105 with my Submersives and I got scared for the walls. I had weak wood paneling though...

Lol yea the day I pegged 130db on the spl meter pictures came crashing down off the walls. The wife was pissed whe she came home..so I put the gear up for a while and have just been enjoying the system at moderste levels. I just wanted to see some data on the capability of these subs because nobody posts that kind of info. I also plan on keeping this info logged that way if I ever bought new subs I will have some good data to compare to. Alot of times when we purchase new things there is always that Placebo effect that makes us think its better because its new.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #867 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they make some outlets that can be controlled by your phone also

I saw something on amazon that had 3 separate wall adapters that were controlled by a rf remote.

Was rated at 1000w though.
Insteon makes some... I believe I have one that does 1800 watts. You need a Insteon hub or some sort of controller though to go with them to be able to control via phone or your PC. I use a Isy994i for controlling via my PC and cellphone.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #868 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Lol yea the day I pegged 130db on the spl meter pictures came crashing down off the walls. The wife was pissed whe she came home..so I put the gear up for a while and have just been enjoying the system at moderste levels. I just wanted to see some data on the capability of these subs because nobody posts that kind of info. I also plan on keeping this info logged that way if I ever bought new subs I will have some good data to compare to. Alot of times when we purchase new things there is always that Placebo effect that makes us think its better because its new.
I hope you had some good hearing protection on when you did that... That is some seriously high SPL!

post #869 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

Black, have you contacted PA to see when your Triax will be ready? Curious because I have a 2nd one coming and I'm sure I ordered it after yours.

I believe the next batch will include all the remaining preorders.

post #870 of 3438 Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

Not sure, i know that i ordered it august 12th but I havent seen any shipping confirmation yet. I just didnt want to feel like im bothering tom. All I was told is that im on the first batch but it would be awesome if i get it soon. Is the first run still going?

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Power Sound Audio Triax

User Tag List