post #181 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

It depends on what you are looking for...do you want clean reference output down to 16hz? If so then you will need duals to achieve that in that size room.

To put things into perspective look at Dominguez ULF thread.

3 XV15's in a 2400^3 room score 800 @ 16hz which is a 4 star rating, meaning the system is capable of clean reference level output down to 16hz.

2 Submersive HP's in a 8000^3 room score 2570 @ 16hz which is a 2.5 star rating, meaning the system can not reach reference level output below 25hz cleanly.

This is not to boast or brag, more so to show how easy it is to get great output out of lesser subs when the room is small. 3 XV15's are similar in output to a Triax in the 16-30hz range and down a couple db above 40hz. So In a 4000^3 room I would guess a 3 star rating, meaning you will come up short trying to reach reference level output. Bear in mind anything above 1.5 star is more bass then a average person would want or need but this is AVS. Hopefully this puts things into perspective for you. Check the thread out when you get a chance. smile.gif

Thanks for the info and link... I subscribed to it so I can get back to it when I am ready.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

It depends on what you are looking for...do you want clean reference output down to 16hz? If so then you will need duals to achieve that in that size room.

3 XV15's in a 2400^3 room score 800 @ 16hz which is a 4 star rating, meaning the system is capable of clean reference level output down to 16hz.

2 Submersive HP's in a 8000^3 room score 2570 @ 16hz which is a 2.5 star rating, meaning the system can not reach reference level output below 25hz cleanly.

This is not to boast or brag, more so to show how easy it is to get great output out of lesser subs when the room is small. 3 XV15's are similar in output to a Triax in the 16-30hz range and down a couple db above 40hz. So In a 4000^3 room I would guess a 3 star rating, meaning you will come up short trying to reach reference level output. Bear in mind anything above 1.5 star is more bass then a average person would want or need but this is AVS. Hopefully this puts things into perspective for you. Check the thread out when you get a chance. smile.gif
I wouldn't assume the bold above. I don't believe I said anything about not being able to achieve reference output at 25hz. Also keep in mind that this doesn't mean you can't achieve it in room...the rating is more that you likely can if you're in that category. But just because you aren't doesn't mean you cannot...if that makes sense.

Also, the rating is more of a guideline...
ellisr63 likes this.
post #183 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Good question. I would recommend you ask Tom.

BTW, I had a similar thought (I'll ask Tom for advice if and when the time comes); could an XS30 set to a lower level be used with the Triax if the goal is strictly room response smoothing and not additional output?

This should be anyone's answer to being concerned about your purchase.

Having some generic outline per room size is good. But I would defer to someone who built the product and has a lot more background in understand and estimating output.

For anyone who doesn't know here is the PSA email contact link.

support@powersoundaudio.com
ellisr63 likes this.

ShaunH
post #184 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

I wouldn't assume the bold above. I don't believe I said anything about not being able to achieve reference output at 25hz. Also keep in mind that this doesn't mean you can't achieve it in room...the rating is more that you likely can if you're in that category. But just because you aren't doesn't mean you cannot...if that makes sense.

Also, the rating is more of a guideline...

Ok thanks for clarifying. smile.gif

Can you calculate the Triax SI?

I came up with 3.0 but that may be off....

So 1 Triax in a 4000^3 room would score arouns1333 @ 16hz which is 3.5 star. Is that a fair assesment?

Btw the only reason I stated 25hz because your thread was geared towards 25hz and below performance. Being you didnt list any performance criteria below 4 star I assumed reference output was not capable. My apologies for that!
ellisr63 likes this.
post #185 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wouldn't put much stock into this. Its fair to easy to just guess with stuff like this and be wrong.

I know your a proponent of multiple subs but we don't need to freak people out and make them think their subs aren't going to be good enough. The Triax even just one is a very good sub and I doubt most would be disappointed with it. We also need to understand not everyone listens at reference level.

Again I recommend anyone unsure about a PSA purchase , email PSA and ask for their opinion. They know their product than anyone else.

ellisr63 likes this.

ShaunH
post #186 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

Ok thanks for clarifying. smile.gif

Can you calculate the Triax SI?

I came up with 3.0 but that may be off....

So 1 Triax in a 4000^3 room would score arouns1333 @ 16hz which is 3.5 star. Is that a fair assesment?

Btw the only reason I stated 25hz because your thread was geared towards 25hz and below performance. Being you didnt list any performance criteria below 4 star I assumed reference output was not capable. My apologies for that!
That's a tough one. Without knowing specific max output at 20hz or xmax it will be tough to estimate.

Taking a wild guess, I'd say a little more than 2 based on what we estimated the subm at.
post #187 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

I wouldn't put much stock into this. Its fair to easy to just guess with stuff like this and be wrong.

I know your a proponent of multiple subs but we don't need to freak peopleexpectnd think their subs aren't going to be good enough. But The Triax even one is a very good sub and I doubt most would be disspsaointed with it and we also need to understand not everyone listens at reference level.

Again I recommend anyone unsure about a PSA purchase , email PSA and ask for their opinion. They know their product than anyone else.

My post is not to freak anybody out or make anybody think they need multiple subs, However it is to inform how much sub it takes to net a desired performance level in a given room size. What is wrong with that? Wouldnt you want to have an idea of the performance to expect in your room when dropping a decent chunk of coin on a sub? I was not trying to imply that one Triax is not enough for a 4000^3 room. It may be more then enough for one and not enough for another. Thats why I thought Dominguez thread was neat, because you can get a general idea..does it need to be 100% accurate of course not, but it is nice to have an idea.

For some reason I thought this site stands for audio video science, where products are studied, analyzed, and speculated. However it bothers some of you I will refrain from any more technical jargain and you can get back to same ol "my Triax shipped today" posts.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #188 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 117
You'd be looking for the Audio theory forum then: http://www.avsforum.com/f/91/audio-theory-setup-and-chat

Since that is all that these calculations are, theory; as nobody has a Triax to test/prove
oneeyeblind likes this.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #189 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My post is not to freak anybody out or make anybody think they need multiple subs, However it is to inform how much sub it takes to net a desired performance level in a given room size. What is wrong with that? Wouldnt you want to have an idea of the performance to expect in your room when dropping a decent chunk of coin on a sub? I was not trying to imply that one Triax is not enough for a 4000^3 room. It may be more then enough for one and not enough for another. Thats why I thought Dominguez thread was neat, because you can get a general idea..does it need to be 100% accurate of course not, but it is nice to have an idea.

For some reason I thought this site stands for audio video science, where products are studied, analyzed, and speculated. However it bothers some of you I will refrain from any more technical jargain and you can get back to same ol "my Triax shipped today" posts.

I understand and I agree. But I think its important to remember that not everyone can fit /afford / desires 3-4 subs plus running REW , a minidsp, or maybe bass traps. I'm trying to point out that yes having one or two good or even great subs is not a bad a bad idea.

On the other hand the reason I came down on the other thread, is mostly it strikes me as way to subjective and to one size fits all. I would rather see someone get personal advice than going by a rating system that simple makes things more complicated.

ShaunH
post #190 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

You'd be looking for the Audio theory forum then: http://www.avsforum.com/f/91/audio-theory-setup-and-chat

Since that is all that these calculations are, theory; as nobody has a Triax to test/prove

Well pardon me rolleyes.gif
ellisr63 likes this.
post #191 of 3438 Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

I understand and I agree. But I think its important to remember that not everyone can fit /afford / desires 3-4 subs plus running REW , a minidsp, or maybe bass traps. I'm trying to point out that yes having one or two good or even great subs is not a bad a bad idea.

On the other hand the reason I came down on the other thread, is mostly it strikes me as way to subjective and to one size fits all. I would rather see someone get personal advice than going by a rating system that simple makes things more complicated.

I never said anybody needed to run 3-4subs here. If one thought a single Triax was not enough, there are custom options from Funk or folded horn subs such as a orbit shifter. I am not even implying the Triax is not enough anyway...you clearly missed the point and are on the Defense. The poster asked the question would one Triax be enough in 4000^3...not even Tom could answer that accurately since everybodies expectations are different. Thats why I thought Dominguez thread might be a helpful reference.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #192 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

I think we'll get through most of the pre-orders (120 volt) for May and June today. 208-240v orders will take up much of next week. I'm hoping all orders through end of July will be taken care of in this production run(by mid next week). Second production run is scheduled in about 10-12 days. That will be a much larger "run" and should fulfill all current orders.

As much as we would love it----we just can't assemble and test 25 Triax a day. I am estimating 8-12 a day when we can completely focus on them(like today).

If you ordered in May or June you should see tracking info in your inbox late this afternoon. A few toward the end of June may slide until early next week though. We'll do our best!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

We didn't quite get through as many as hoped, sorry guys. All new production/assembly run means surprises here and there and this was no exception. We got through all MAY orders and everything in the first week of June.

Rest of June will go out upcoming week for sure, I'd say by Tuesday. We might get through the first half of July by the end of the week.

We are trying to "load up" on inventory for the second production run. This should enable us to fulfill all remaining pre-orders (including the shack give-away) and also have a bit in stock for new orders.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #193 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Tom, long as you finish my ported Triax-V we are in the good wink.gif
post #194 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

...... We might get through the first half of July by the end of the week.......
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

frown.gif

(I ordered near the end of July)

post #195 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Tom, long as you finish my ported Triax-V we are in the good wink.gif

LOL eek.gif Yeah he promised me one too since I came out a looser over at the shack. I’m still crying over that. rolleyes.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #196 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 801
Quote:

I never said anybody needed to run 3-4subs here.

If anybody's guilty of the above, that's my mantra. tongue.gif And agreed, with the Triax, that's a very expensive mantra. But at the same time, admittedly, trying to get the best out of a room's acoustics with a single placed subwoofer is going be a challenge for any owner of a single subwoofer solution.

Now the question morphs into, how to get the best out of a room's acoustics, using but a single Triax?
post #197 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
So i guess even though im in the first batch i wont be seeing my sub until sometime in november now.

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #198 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

So i guess even though im in the first batch i wont be seeing my sub until sometime in november now.

It reads like you're going be in serious full blown panic attack if that's the case. What are you doing for video entertainment? Are you downloading cable movies? Holding off on watching the new releases have to be killing you.
post #199 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

I'm thinking we're in the same boat. When did you place your order?

I know the folks at PSA are doing their best to get all the orders filled. I think perhaps they're getting a bit more business than expected. Hopefully they can adapt and not fall victim to their own success.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #200 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

no way man, is that what Tom said?

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #201 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I ordered mine August 19th.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #202 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It reads like you're going be in serious full blown panic attack if that's the case. What are you doing for video entertainment? Are you downloading cable movies? Holding off on watching the new releases have to be killing you.

Beeman im going to break! eek.gif Lol im going to wait for the triax to watch pacific rim, man of steel, fast 6, the riddick, insidious 2, the conjuring, and anything else good after this point. For now ill listen to music and play some xbox. I watched the crudes last night and it was real good, it has alot of earthquakes in the movie so i want to watch it again with the triax. Def will rewatch star trek and war world z with the triax also. Im thinking that when the original triax date was canceled i made improvements while waiting by buying the denon 4520ci receiver and denon 3313udci blueray player, i also brought the toe out in my front towers and play movies in wide mode which really gave a larger soundstage like i wanted. Im thinking maybe i should use this last window of time to better prepar for the triax. Im interested in all this room measuring everyone talks about but im scared where to start. I have time to buy whatever id need and start learning. So far my speakers are placed correctly and i use the aud x32 eq calibration on a tripod at 8 listening positions, then made any manual adjustments such as bringing the sub gain to 0. All speakers are crossed at 80hz and set to small. Where do you suggest i start, what should i buy this weekend the learn about room measuring? I can grab a spl meter from radio shack.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #203 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

no way man, is that what Tom said?

No but i figure next week will be july and since i ordered august 12th then im guessing julys will be worked on next week and august would be the following week, then by the time it ships across the country to where i am it might be in the beginning of november

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #204 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I'm thinking we're in the same boat. When did you place your order?

I know the folks at PSA are doing their best to get all the orders filled. I think perhaps they're getting a bit more business than expected. Hopefully they can adapt and not fall victim to their own success.

I really like the psa company and this sub is a beast. Its just not knowing when ill get it for the last 3 months kinda sucks but i know ill love it once its here. I guess when your waiting for the last piece of your setup its the most difficult.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #205 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where do you suggest i start, what should i buy this weekend the learn about room measuring? I can grab a spl meter from radio shack.

Download a freeware copy of REW.

Purchase a USB measurement microphone.

This is the sound meter I purchased.

The forum standard is the digital Radio Shack version.

From the above, it's nothing more than taking the time to go through the learning curve to get up and running.

See this thread.

It is a bit of a pain to get up and running but once up and running, it's all point-n-click.
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #206 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Download a freeware copy of REW.

Purchase a USB measurement microphone.

This is the sound meter I purchased.

The forum standard is the digital Radio Shack version.

From the above, it's nothing more than taking the time to go through the learning curve to get up and running.

See this thread.

It is a bit of a pain to get up and running but once up and running, it's all point-n-click.

Heres where im stuck, ive got an iphone 5, a new ipad, and a mac, can i even use this stuff easily? Ive only used this stuff to surf the web and i dont download stuff much cuz sometimes these apple products are complex to me. If i get the spl meter, the mic and download the rew can i do everything from a mac?

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #207 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope i can learn because if thats the case ill buy everything today then i can finally understand about room measuring. I rent my house so i might not be able to modify the room much but i did put weather stripping on all my doors to stop the rattling that the low freq cause.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #208 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 117
Quote:

Heres where im stuck, ive got an iphone 5, a new ipad, and a mac, can i even use this stuff easily? Ive only used this stuff to surf the web and i dont download stuff much cuz sometimes these apple products are complex to me. If i get the spl meter, the mic and download the rew can i do everything from a mac?

Yes, REW can work on OSX. I ordered a UMIK-1 ( https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 ) because on their site it says it can be used as an SQL meter as well, however I'm just not how sure that statement is actually true since I've read conflicting threads on here.

But the UMIK-1 seems to integrate fairly well with REW from reading their site so I went that route.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #209 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

Yes, REW can work on OSX. I ordered a UMIK-1 ( https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 ) because on their site it says it can be used as an SQL meter as well, however I'm just not how sure that statement is actually true since I've read conflicting threads on here.

But the UMIK-1 seems to integrate fairly well with REW from reading their site so I went that route.

Cool im going to order everything rite now! Ok so should i buy anything at radio shack or get the mic and sound meter online? As far as the mic and sound meter, what options do i have that would be best for me?

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #210 of 3438 Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm clueless as to the whole Apple/Windows operating system conflict issues. If jarretc says REW will work with Apple based OS, then I have to defer to his experience.

This from the REW's (Requirements heading) website: "Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (OS X 10.5 Leopard or later recommended)."

For the sound meter, pretty much anything will work. I purchased the one I did because I wanted better than the digital Radio Shack version. I don't think any of the forum experts knock the digital Radio Shack version. The road I took was to go with a Type II with a calibration unit but the total cost was about $250.00. It depends on how crazy one wants to get. I also have and have used for over a decade, the older digital Radio Shack sound meter without problems. Currently I have three sound meters and a calibration device so it's safe to say, regarding sound meters, I'm a bit out there. biggrin.gif

The short version, for many operational reasons, I love, love, love the sound meter I linked to. The only operational flaw, the back light will only stay lit for a few seconds and you can't menu change the amount of time it stays on. I find this frustrating when trying to make readings during movie playback in a darkened room.

-
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Power Sound Audio Triax

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page