Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I dont think you will fully utilize 3 Triax's output on a single 15amp line. 12kw of continous power is way more power then 15amps can support.

Would any program material demand that kind of continuos output? My understanding is that a 15 amp circuit can provide much higher current for limited periods of time, which would seem to work fine for music and movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

This link might answer the above.

Series C F-frame circuit breaker time current curves

Choose 15A or 20A breaker and checkout the curve.

According to the 15A graph, the 15A breaker can handle a 100A (12,000w) surge for a bit more than twenty seconds.

How much content, will demand 100A, for how long, is up for debate.

-
Beeman458,

I think you read those graphs incorrectly, a 15A circuit has a minimum trip of ~35A for 20 seconds, not 100A.

The amps in the Triax (also used in Seaton and JTR subs) also have a power reserve so they can provide current in excess of the 15A/1800 watt circuit's continuous rating for ~20 (or was it 40?) seconds.

BTW, weren't you the guy who was convinced that people were going to burn their houses down from the huge power draw of "modern HT setups" that the wiring was never built to handle because no one anticipated HT setups drawing the kind of power they do today (although still less than the continuous draw of one electric iron, space heater or plug in a/c unit)? If that was you in the other thread a while back, I'm glad to see the change of opinion.

Max
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Beeman458,

I think you read those graphs incorrectly, a 15A circuit has a minimum trip of ~35A for 20 seconds, not 100A.

No think about it. Sorry. You're right. I screwed up. 100A for about 2 seconds. I read the graph backwards and had the amperage on the left leg of the graph. The two bold black lines represent approximately 22A to 28A or a minimum of 2640W for a hundred seconds.
post #2253 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BTW, weren't you the guy who was convinced that people were going to burn their houses down from the huge power draw of "modern HT setups" that the wiring was never built to handle because no one anticipated HT setups drawing the kind of power they do today (although still less than the continuous draw of one electric iron, space heater or plug in a/c unit)? If that was you in the other thread a while back, I'm glad to see the change of opinion.

Thanks for the thought. Just to correct a misunderstanding, I wasn't convinced people were going burn their house down but yes, I am of the concern that people are going overheat old home wiring and based on insurance actuarial tables, my concerns are real, not pseudo. My concerns are, their house wiring was not up to the task of handling constant, heavy, electrical demands, which can and do cause house wiring to overheat and this behavior is well known by insurance companies to cause house fires.

Breakers are not intended to be regularly over extended.

Surprise. Yes, I'm the same guy and no, my concerns haven't abated. Yes, I am of the personality that when people knock thoughtful concerns aside, I do take offense. In my opinion, just saying, giving straight empirical information such as I did, by posting a link for others to read, is not the same as voicing a concern or giving tact permission. My concerns are definitely still the same.

In the case of our home, we have 20A breakers on a 200A service and I've upgraded the wall outlets used for home theater use to hospital grade, 20A, duplex plug outlets, fourplex outlets on each wall plate, so no plug strips are needed. All work done by a licensed electrician. We have a "smart" meter so at any time I can go out and monitor our electric usage and I can see what the total demand is on our electric service. Also, I purchased a "Belkin F7C005 Conserve Insight Energy Cost Monitor" which I use to plug an appliance into and I'm able to monitor the amount of electricity being used by an appliance at any time.

Yes, with a bit of embarrassment, I post, I'm that kind of person and qualify as "one of those kind" of people. tongue.gif And yes, I actually monitor this type of stuff from several different levels. And yes, I have set the house up for fire fighting and have positioned 5lb Halatron extinguishers.

-
post #2254 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
aah, come on, someone has to...or should, or pleeeez ... :P review this against the submersive ... it has more WAF but which one is better is more important biggrin.gif
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #2255 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

aah, come on, someone has to...or should, or pleeeez ... :P review this against the submersive ... it has more WAF but which one is better is more important biggrin.gif

Let the games begin! I got a $100 on the Triax biggrin.gif
Joshjp likes this.

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #2256 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Take note I was talking about 3 Triax's on 1 15amp circuit.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #2257 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Recomend me a good subwoofer eq?

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #2258 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Let the games begin! I got a $100 on the Triax biggrin.gif
i got $200 on the SubM smile.gif
Blackmambakila likes this.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
post #2259 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

i got $200 on the SubM smile.gif
Ok, ill pm you my address to send me the money order biggrin.gif
bulls likes this.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2260 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the thought. Just to correct a misunderstanding, I wasn't convinced people were going burn their house down but yes, I am of the concern that people are going overheat old home wiring and based on insurance actuarial tables, my concerns are real, not pseudo. My concerns are, their house wiring was not up to the task of handling constant, heavy, electrical demands, which can and do cause house wiring to overheat and this behavior is well known by insurance companies to cause house fires.

Breakers are not intended to be regularly over extended.

Surprise. Yes, I'm the same guy and no, my concerns haven't abated. Yes, I am of the personality that when people knock thoughtful concerns aside, I do take offense. In my opinion, just saying, giving straight empirical information such as I did, by posting a link for others to read, is not the same as voicing a concern or giving tact permission. My concerns are definitely still the same.

In the case of our home, we have 20A breakers on a 200A service and I've upgraded the wall outlets used for home theater use to hospital grade, 20A, duplex plug outlets, fourplex outlets on each wall plate, so no plug strips are needed. All work done by a licensed electrician. We have a "smart" meter so at any time I can go out and monitor our electric usage and I can see what the total demand is on our electric service. Also, I purchased a "Belkin F7C005 Conserve Insight Energy Cost Monitor" which I use to plug an appliance into and I'm able to monitor the amount of electricity being used by an appliance at any time.

Yes, with a bit of embarrassment, I post, I'm that kind of person and qualify as "one of those kind" of people. tongue.gif And yes, I actually monitor this type of stuff from several different levels. And yes, I have set the house up for fire fighting and have positioned 5lb Halatron extinguishers.

-
I use a Watts Up Pro logging meter to see my unit consumption/power draw. It can log at different intervals to see usage spikes and duty cycles (eg. Refrigerators etc.) and also keeps track of Max and Min values (so I can see the maximum draw spike and Min voltage sag etc.).

I've logged my a/v equipment to see what it draws in use, and each Emotiva monoblock amp has an average draw of 70-95watts while playing a movie, but the Maximum spike was 1883 watts off one XPA-1 powering a Legacy Focus SE (4 ohm speakers, 1000w@4ohm amp).

In contrast, the mobile a/c unit, electric iron and the Dyson Hot space heater each pull anywhere around 1200-1600 watts continuously when On.

While it's true that old wiring can potentially overheat from current draw, HT setups aren't the items most likely to cause it. Even plugging in several amps/subs on one circuit doesn't really trigger the continuous draw of one of those heating/cooling items for more than a short span, as opposed to things like the a/c unit, space heater or iron continuously drawing huge loads for 30 minutes to hours continuously.

Max
Bunga99 and Saturn94 like this.
post #2261 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here that's going to be getting a Triax in Decembers batch?

I heard you were. smile.gif

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #2262 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I heard you were. smile.gif

I am! smile.gif Just not sure where I'll be on the list. I can't wait! Once I get the 2nd one I'm going to make a real good video for youtube showing everything these 2 bad boys will do! I'm going to use my GoPro, I've had it for 6 months and never have used it even once eek.gif . Well I had an interview today, looks like as soon as my vacation is over the last week of December, I'll be starting jan 1st at another oilfield company! It's the 2nd largest in the world and they hired me and both my brothers together, looks like I've got next year covered! Just another step closer to buying a house and building a dream theater cool.gif
ellisr63 likes this.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2263 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW that is FANTASTIC news bro, im happy for you and your brothers.

HT~
2.1CH~
post #2264 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

WOW that is FANTASTIC news bro, im happy for you and your brothers.

Thanks bro! Scary part is now I'll have an accuse to buy more ht gear! eek.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2265 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:

Thanks bro! Scary part is now I'll have an accuse to buy more ht gear! eek.gif

I smell JTR speakers off in the distance!...LOL wink.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #2266 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I smell JTR speakers off in the distance!...LOL wink.gif

Stop, your reading my mind!!! I dont know whats keeping me from just ordering 5 jtrs! If i did and had them with the 2 triaxs id be on top the clouds! I think one thing is that i wonder if id have to run an external amplifier and add more wiring, ect. I was thinking with the 228s id be at 98dbs plus 4ohms drawing 225w rms each channel might be enough being just from the receiver but im not sure. Wouldnt that put me at 118dbs peaks? Itd be double the volume i have now and a much larger soundstage. Its just too tempting!

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2267 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stop, your reading my mind!!! I dont know whats keeping me from just ordering 5 jtrs! If i did and had them with the 2 triaxs id be on top the clouds! I think one thing is that i wonder if id have to run an external amplifier and add more wiring, ect. I was thinking with the 228s id be at 98dbs plus 4ohms drawing 225w rms each channel might be enough being just from the receiver but im not sure. Wouldnt that put me at 118dbs peaks? Itd be double the volume i have now and a much larger soundstage. Its just too tempting!

Well let me light a little more of a fire under your butt, there's a 5-10% price increase coming in January!!
You would have absolutely no issues power 228HT's to ear bleeding levels with the AVR-4520 receiver! that's a great receiver and honestly I would have bought that instead of getting a new amp but there was just no way to pass up the price the Sherbourn PA 7-350's were being blown out at.

Three 228HT's and two Slant 8's plus two Triax subs are the stuff wet dreams are made of!...LOL tongue.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #2268 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well let me light a little more of a fire under your butt, there's a 5-10% price increase coming in January!!
You would have absolutely no issues power 228HT's to ear bleeding levels with the AVR-4520 receiver! that's a great receiver and honestly I would have bought that instead of getting a new amp but there was just no way to pass up the price the Sherbourn PA 7-350's were being blown out at.

Three 228HT's and two Slant 8's plus two Triax subs are the stuff wet dreams are made of!...LOL tongue.gif

Id be so close to that dream that itd take one more buy to make it happen. Hmmm i think what ill do is get this 2nd Triax and really think it over. I wouldnt be surprised soon after i get it that ill make a call and get those speakers. Itd be nice to get some great output and quality just off my receiver, it make it more worth doing. Well if i do go to the dark side then i couldnt imagine what else id want to upgrade, i even have a great blueray player and gaming sytems and tv so i really cant imagine still being tempted. If this new job thing goes well then this might be my final finish to my setup biggrin.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2269 of 3438 Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait...... Is there even a cure for this HT virus outbreak??? eek.gif

Lol i cant believe earlier last summer i went into best buy looking for a soundbar!!!! Man i was stupid!!!

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2270 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Id be so close to that dream that itd take one more buy to make it happen. Hmmm i think what ill do is get this 2nd Triax and really think it over. I wouldnt be surprised soon after i get it that ill make a call and get those speakers. Itd be nice to get some great output and quality just off my receiver, it make it more worth doing. Well if i do go to the dark side then i couldnt imagine what else id want to upgrade, i even have a great blueray player and gaming sytems and tv so i really cant imagine still being tempted. If this new job thing goes well then this might be my final finish to my setup biggrin.gif
Did you say TV? Pshhhh... after getting all that audio power with JTR's and Triax's, you're not going to let the audio outdo the video are ya? C'mon, a nice 4k projector with a 11-foot wide screen, NOW we're talkin LOL! biggrin.gif

Max
post #2271 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Lol i cant believe earlier last summer i went into best buy looking for a soundbar!!!!

Wow! eek.gif
post #2272 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you say TV? Pshhhh... after getting all that audio power with JTR's and Triax's, you're not going to let the audio outdo the video are ya? C'mon, a nice 4k projector with a 11-foot wide screen, NOW we're talkin LOL! biggrin.gif

Max

Thats right, what was i thinking getting an 80 in for my bedroom, i feel ashamed! Lol. Well if i move my seats 6 inches from the screen, it will look like its 180 inches! Im sure the viewers wouldnt mind wink.gif

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2273 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or he could just buy some used LaScalas for a lot less and hit 124db with his 4520.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #2274 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats right, what was i thinking getting an 80 in for my bedroom, i feel ashamed! Lol. Well if i move my seats 6 inches from the screen, it will look like its 180 inches! Im sure the viewers wouldnt mind wink.gif
Just get a projector... 134" would be a lot nicer IMO.

post #2275 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
what JTR model are you looking at?

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #2276 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just get a projector... 134" would be a lot nicer IMO.

For my next setup ill go all out on a massive screen size, but will have to be of highest quality. Ive seen some awesome ones

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2277 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

what JTR model are you looking at?

If i went for them id grab up some 228's since theyd probably be more than enough for my bedroom setup and along with 2 triaxes and the rest of my equipment id have a strong, solid setup all around and would just spend all next year working on a dedicated HT room build for the future. Im just not sure if since ive came this far with my setup i started this year if i should just take the bullet and swap out my only weak link which are the bowers and wilkins or should i stop where im at.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2278 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or he could just buy some used LaScalas for a lot less and hit 124db with his 4520.

I'd wager he'd like the JTR option better tongue.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #2279 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd wager he'd like the JTR option better tongue.gif

I know for efficiency and quality theyd both be a good toss up. One thing im trying to take in consideration is what ht speakers would go well with my overall setup theme. Everything so far is glossy black and satin black and the seats bergundy. The triaxs are more aggressive looking and satin black then id like the ht speakers to be the same, either satin or glossy black. I figure if they are powerful and go well with the decor then itd be a happy ending for me. Still though id like to wait till decembers over just to get the holidays out of the way and start this new job so if i end up making the move it be in january. Then id probably get a couple grand back from selling my 5 ht speakers on ebay but id get the replacements first so i wont have any downtime. Yeah so i think my choice will end up being on looks, dont care for something pretty but atleast keep the color theme. Wheres a good place to see some good pics of jtr speakers? I noticed there aint much pictures on the site

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #2280 of 3438 Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Liked: 67
Theres a post on these forums about the JTR speakers, they are black and look pretty good so I bet they will match the Triax's nicely. And when the lights are out and the movies are a blarin' I imagine you would forget ALL about any mismatch in color schemes between the two. smile.gif

JTR Speaker Post

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Power Sound Audio Triax

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page