AVS Forum banner

Official PSA Triax Thread

147K views 4K replies 101 participants last post by  laserjock II 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Working with you, I'm currently trying to spiff up the thread a bit with PSA based links.

Spelling typo of "Official" corrected and as you suggested, "PSA" was added. If there are any other suggestions, I'm happy to add them to the original thread.

And when available, new driver pics to be added. If I shouldn't have started the thread, let me know and I'll remove as much of the thread as possible, including the title and someone else can start the thread.

Measurement tab link corrected. Not so sure about the comma comment but in the spirit of cooperation, the change was made. The last thing anybody wants, is for me to edit their papers.

-

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23787815

Also, there shouldn't be a comma in the thread title, the Triax is made by PSA

You can also do http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/triax#tabs-3 so that it pulls up the Measurements tab when you click on the link

I could be wrong but I believe those measurements are from the original drivers.

#7 ·
I believe so as well but until Tom/Jim update them on the site that is all we have.

Plus I think Tom mentioned that there isn't a huge difference either way but I also know that a lot of guys on here like to argue over the dumbest specifications like it makes a difference that you can hear

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23788293

I believe so as well but until Tom/Jim update them on the site that is all we have.

Plus I think Tom mentioned that there isn't a huge difference either way but I also know that a lot of guys on here like to argue over the dumbest specifications like it makes a difference that you can hear

Tom mentioned to me that the improvements are "fairly subtle" (his words).

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23788314

Tom mentioned to me that the improvements are "fairly subtle" (his words).
It shouldmhave a 2 to 2.5 db gain, im unsure about what freq they are but that isnallot if you ask me.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798086

It shouldmhave a 2 to 2.5 db gain, im unsure about what freq they are but that isnallot if you ask me.

The gains and differences have already been covered. Tom said with the new drivers the Triax Averaged 125.39db 20-63hz cea2010 2m rms. With the Old drivers the 20-63hz average was around 122db. The new drivers gained 3.39db.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/6060#post_23780836

He probably mentioned it being very subtle until all the testing was done...in his last post regarding the numbers he even said,

"I don't like the idea of the weight and cost increasing but I can't argue against the performance of the new drivers"

That being said the new drivers improved performance significantly, but its not like the old drivers were lacking. I doubt you will notice the difference in most rooms, especially if you do not listen above reference.

#16 ·
I don't like average CEA numbers like that. This could be a 50 hz monster and low at 20 hz. The individual or long term max numbers mean much more to me. Anyways this sub seems to be very nice either way!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798297

I don't like average CEA numbers like that. This could be a 50 hz monster and low at 20 hz. The individual or long term max numbers mean much more to me. Anyways this sub seems to be very nice either way!

Thats Funny because I dont think anybody asked what you like

20-31hz 119db 40-63hz 130db cea2010 2m rms.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread/0_100#post_23798388

That is a little better. I want to know what this can do at 10 Hz!

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23797839

Just like any sub, you place it accordingly to get the best room response...there is no set standard.

But it's not like any other sub. Down firing always fire to the floor, front firing always fire into the room (I know some recommend firing into a wall, but who does that?). There's only one possible configuration with 99% of subs. I can't believe there's no guidance on this, particularly since it weighs close to 200 lbs. Not easy to move.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798461

That is a little better. I want to know what this can do at 10 Hz!

Isn't that going depend on room gain and the effects of corner loading? Factoring in these two points, the graph says it totally kicks butt at 10Hz? In my opinion, without factoring in room gain and corner loading, one is not getting the full picture.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798706

All subs get the same effect by the room.

Absolutely. Sorry. I'm seeing it as not all rooms are the same, opposed to all subwoofers are treated equally within the confines of a space; sealed vs ported sub vs large open to other spaces vs a sealed room. It's just a thought as opposed to an argument.

I would expect a corner loaded Triax, within the confines of a space, to have kick butt room gain that will carry this sub, properly integrated into a room's acoustics (multiple subs expectedly will be needed for room smoothing), down to 10 Hz or lower.

Regarding my comment, in understanding, what am I missing?

-

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798297

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798388

Where did you get those numbers? Is that from the "guestimate" someone posted earlier when I asked about the new 20-31.5 hz and 40-63hz numbers? I haven't seen these numbers from PSA and the website hasn't been updated yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798480

But it's not like any other sub. Down firing always fire to the floor, front firing always fire into the room (I know some recommend firing into a wall, but who does that?). There's only one possible configuration with 99% of subs. I can't believe there's no guidance on this, particularly since it weighs close to 200 lbs. Not easy to move.

Josh Ricci did a test that showed that orientation didn't make a difference with dual apposed and down firing designs. I would expect the same behavior from the Triax. Front firing designs did have FR changes depending on orientation.

Tom's only mention to me about orientation was to make sure to leave some space between the driver and the wall (I believe he said at least 1.5").

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798872

+1

Where did you get those numbers? Is that from the "guestimate" someone posted earlier when I asked about the new 20-31.5 hz and 40-63hz numbers? I haven't seen these numbers from PSA and the website hasn't been updated yet.

Josh Ricci did a test that showed that orientation didn't make a difference with dual apposed and down firing designs. I would expect the same behavior from the Triax. Front firing designs did have FR changes depending on orientation.

Tom's only mention to me about orientation was to make sure to leave some space between the driver and the wall (I believe he said at least 1.5").

That was my guestimate....this stuff is not brain surgery. How hard is it to add calculate averages and do simple math?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread#post_23798999

That was my guestimate....this stuff is not brain surgery. How hard is it to add calculate averages and do simple math?

I realize we're not talking about big differences here, but taking the average gain and applying it to the ULB and LB numbers doesn't necessarily work depending on at what frequecies the new driver outperforms the old.

Either way, the Triax is looking to be a kick ass sub!

#26 ·
Yes, I want to see an ID sub rule the commercial market on D-B! Right now the Sub2 reigns supreme for sealed subs. The DIY and kits rule otherwise. I guess you can say the DTS-10 can be bought built so that can be the standard for commercial products except at 10hz. That kit sold for $995! The Triax should do very well at 10hz no matter where it is measured due to 3 high excursion 15's. Are they still 30 mm of x-max? I just received my 8 30 mm of x-max 18's from Fi for the IB I am building. I had 12 inch 28mm drivers so I can understand what higher excursion means, more linear down low!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.