New SVS Isolation feet - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #271 of 280 Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Well, here's a different take.

The soundpath feets doesn't remove rattling or erratic vibrations, not even reduce them. But on my SB2000s, what it did was STOP them from jumping around when it plays anything below 30hz.

The stock feets on the SB2000 was causing them to bounce quite a bit, which to me was very annoying. Having 2 of them made it a chore. Yes, I have tried styrofoam with rubber feets stuck onto them, doesn't work. Yes, I've played a piece of black rubber mat under them, they still bounce around like toddlers.

My flooring is tile, so I understand the problem lies with my floor. But since the "cheap" styrofoam and rubber mats didn't work, I resulted to using the soundpath feets. No more bouncing, no more out of place subs after every movie.

You guys can argue about all the science, but in my case it stopped the ONE annoying thing in my room; bouncing subs.
The isolation feet have flexibility and cushion to them. Kind of like little rubber shock absorbers. They are nothing like hard, solid rubber feet, such as the ones that came on my RBH subs or many other subs.

Current subwoofer lineup: SVS PB12-NSD (x2), PC12-NSD (x2), RBH I-12/e Red Burl finish (x2), I-12 Red Burl Finish (x2), Jamo J-112 Dark Apple Finish (x2), Jamo J-12 Dark Apple Finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 280 Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Well, here's a different take.

The soundpath feets doesn't remove rattling or erratic vibrations, not even reduce them. But on my SB2000s, what it did was STOP them from jumping around when it plays anything below 30hz.

The stock feets on the SB2000 was causing them to bounce quite a bit, which to me was very annoying. Having 2 of them made it a chore. Yes, I have tried styrofoam with rubber feets stuck onto them, doesn't work. Yes, I've played a piece of black rubber mat under them, they still bounce around like toddlers.

My flooring is tile, so I understand the problem lies with my floor. But since the "cheap" styrofoam and rubber mats didn't work, I resulted to using the soundpath feets. No more bouncing, no more out of place subs after every movie.

You guys can argue about all the science, but in my case it stopped the ONE annoying thing in my room; bouncing subs.

See---defective sub ;-).
post #273 of 280 Old 06-21-2016, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The isolation feet have flexibility and cushion to them. Kind of like little rubber shock absorbers. They are nothing like hard, solid rubber feet, such as the ones that came on my RBH subs or many other subs.
The stock feets are made of rubber as well. They're just too shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post
See---defective sub ;-).
Sure, defective.

Bedroom Theater
Sony KDL55-W900a | Yamaha RX-A2050 | Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
SVS Ultra Bookshelf L/R | SVS Ultra Center | Dual SVS SB2000
SVS Prime Bookshelf SL + SR| SVS Prime Elevations Height Presence L/R/RL/RR

post #274 of 280 Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Collarbone???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
^^^
Does that gal's collarbone look odd to anyone else?
So it's the collarbone that caught your eye?

Anyway, I went to 3 hardware stores and searched online yesterday. The best I could come up with was 4 panhead screws (could not find ANY metric carriage bolts, which would be smoother) and 4 1/4" thick x 1 1/2", very stiff felt stick-ons. I will dig up some mono recordings and compare. Wish my Rotel had a balance control. If I don't hear a difference, I'll go with the felt. It slides easier.
post #275 of 280 Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOW.

Unreal this thread. I find it so odd that people claiming to be scientist resist experimentation so much . Makes me think of my own biases and how they elude myself...

Well. At this point I am pretty sure the Soundpath works to remove vibrations, without personally having tried them. I have a SB-1000 and a SB-2000. The latter really vibrates when movies go off with explosions when close to reference levels. To assert that most vibrations come from sound energy through the air is not having measured the movements of the sb-2000 or a more powerful sub that does not have dual, opposing woofers.

I also find it odd that people cant see a difference in frequency response when testing/measuring close to reference. The vibrations/trattles MAKE SOUNDS, and they ARE NOT SUBTLE. How is it they dont appear in your FR charts?? Are you looking for difference in the actual output of the sub or are you looking for differences in the whole spectrum?

On a side but related note, keep in mind that a few pages after "2+2", things tend to get less precise. It's more about approximation. WOW.
post #276 of 280 Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FWIW Sound and Vision likes these. (Do not know if same as original version.)

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...Dgqk4DmBlEC.97
post #277 of 280 Old 08-11-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawk View Post

Nah, can't be. I'm sure it was all in their head and they just imagined it. These do absolutely nothing. I know this because a few people who have never used them said they do nothing.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-11-2016 at 11:20 AM.
post #278 of 280 Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4629
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawk View Post
If you're going to claim that a device totally defies the laws of physics then you need to publish peer reviewable data. Does the term 'cold fusion' ring a bell? How about 'perpetual motion'?
Not that these wouldn't absorb some bounce of the cab at high levels, but so will any number of products, at no more than 1/5 the cost.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #279 of 280 Old 08-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by jarretc 

Hmmm, how'd I know Bill would comment in here?

I'm surprised that a believer in pixie dust didn't beat me to it.
I thought it was pixie snot, not dust. Dust is a whole different discussion.
post #280 of 280 Old 11-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apologies in advance for 3 month old thread resurrection.

I just bought two 4 feet sets of these. I have two subs: Polk Audio PSW505 & Martin Logan Dynamo 700 that are in the same room and on hardwood. I have the Dynamo set up as downfiring and the Polk is fixed with frontfiring. The Dynamo is used for 2.1 music/stereo listening and generally is fairly vibration free. I have not added the SVS pads to this sub yet.

The Polk is a different story. It is used for 5.1 movie/TV watching. Although big and somewhat 'weighty' it sits on very small plastic feet. During heavy low-end audio sequences it can vibrate itself out of position. If anything sits on top of the sub it can slide right off. So I figured this was a good candidate to try the isolation pads while lamenting the thoughts of purchasing a replacement sub.

Unbeknownst to me prior to buying the Soundpath feet, the PSW505's small feet are NAILED into the cabinet, not screwed. What to do? The SVS feet are designed to be screwed in. Fortunately I discovered the stock feet c/w attached nail can slide through the screw hole of the isolation pads and be held snugly by the elastomer pad. So the pads are now held to the bottom of the sub cabinet by its original feet. Only real issue is since there is now less nail buried into the wood if the subwoofer is lifted vertically one of the feet can drop out. However, once the Polk was placed back into floor space position there has been virtually zero vibration happening. So for that alone I'm happy with the result. Expensive for what it is but they look better than most hardware store options I've seen.

The WAF has gone up, too which is always a good thing in this hobby/way of life.
Sammie2980, ChromeJob and Heresy80 like this.

Audio + Video = Bliss

Ears: Denon | Cambridge Audio | Polk | Totem | Martin Logan | Mission | KEF
Eyes: Panasonic plasma | Samsung lcd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page