Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #151 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
^^ No need to defend. Isolators worked for you. Anytime I hear a blanket statement that it's nothing but snakeoil, my eyebrow raises a bit, even though this statement may be true for the majority of people and their situations. Each person may have unique problems that can't easily be resolved by conventional methods, which is often related to home construction problems and/or age.

I did have to chuckle a bit, however. You realize that people pay good money to have their seats vibrate like crazy, don't you? And you had it free of charge wink.gif.

BTW, you seem to have a terrific setup going on. Congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

I want to defend the isolation feet in my case.....

I have four SB13-ULTRAS up front in my home cinema (no isolation feet)
Floor construction is concrete slab with floating timber flooring overtop.

In the rear I have four Velodyne subs that sit over timber risers where 12 seats are screwed to three rows.
The four Velodynes used to constantly vibrate through the seats via the raised timber floor.
The Ultras up front didn't vibrate through the risers since that timber floor was really in direct contact with the concrete.

I tried everything to stop the transfer of the Velodynes through the timber to the seats. The rubber feet they came with didn't work, I bought spikes, that was a little better but still the subs vibrated through the risers to the seats.

When the isolation feet arrived on the market I thought I would give them a go since nothing else I tried had worked.
Bingo after adding the feet, doing a new XT32 calibration and running the same problem discs the problem went!
I couldn't believe my problem of "bass in my butt" was gone!
Finally I had nice clean bass without all the floor moving, plus the integration with the front subs finally became seamless.

Something so simple had solved my issue.
Now I can get on with watching movies without all the annoying added vibrations. The only vibrations I now feel is when the bass goes really low the sound is deep in my chest.

The feet may not be for everyone, but in my case they certainly did the job. They worked for me and way better than my expectations....smile.gif

Heretic! Except in this case the "non-believers" will burn YOU at the stake.
post #153 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Funny....I've actually been considering adding a floating floor over my concrete slab to exaggerate the seat shaking effect. Different strokes I guess. smile.gif

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #154 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Funny....I've actually been considering adding a floating floor over my concrete slab to exaggerate the seat shaking effect. Different strokes I guess. smile.gif

Clean bass I think is better than seat and wall shaking bass in my mind, once you get a taste of it its hard to go back.

I have two very expensive tactile transducers under the raised section of floor, I've had them turned off for over a year. I much prefer the bass from my eight subs than the artificial feel of my butt being kicked constantly through the transducer! cool.gif

Murray Thompson

post #155 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
^^ For music, I don't like anything that makes noise from the walls or floors shaking. I couldn't understand why so many people like transducers. Then again, for movies, I don't mind things around me rattling and banging. Sort of adds to the reality of movie explosions, concrete buckling, etc. I can now understand why people add transducers (although I won't bother … I get enough of that without them).
BDP24 likes this.
post #156 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Quote:

Clean bass I think is better than seat and wall shaking bass in my mind, once you get a taste of it its hard to go back.

I have two very expensive tactile transducers under the raised section of floor, I've had them turned off for over a year. I much prefer the bass from my eight subs than the artificial feel of my butt being kicked constantly through the transducer! cool.gif

Wanna sell them transducers? wink.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #157 of 161 Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Wanna sell them transducers? wink.gif

Sorry too late and too hard to remove them.....

They are under the risers, that's then carpeted and the seats screwed through the carpet to the timber floor.
To remove the transducers I would have to remove all the 12 seats, then lift the carpet and cut into the floor to remove the transducers.
A rotten job!

They are entombed for life sorry to say rolleyes.gif

Murray Thompson

post #158 of 161 Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI Everyone, just read this thread but couldn't draw any conlcusions, so heres my question:

Regarding Value vs. Improvement and taking into account I have hardwood floors, an SB 1000 and I don't want to piss of my downstairs neighbors which is better:

1- The rubber feet that come with the SB 1000
2- Sorbothane Rubber Bumpers ($ 24.99) http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMODW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400129052&sr=8-6&keywords=subwoofer+isolation
3- Soundpath Isolation System ($ 50)

Thanks for everyones input.
post #159 of 161 Old 05-15-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by juajar View Post

I don't want to piss of my downstairs neighbors which is better:
1- The rubber feet that come with the SB 1000
2- Sorbothane Rubber Bumpers ($ 24.99)
3- Soundpath Isolation System ($ 50)
In the absence of any objective data from any of those sources there is no definitive answer as to how they work, if at all. The only testing I'm aware of is my own. I measured the response of my THT sub and my David full range speaker with the test mic in the room, in the next room, and in the room below, with the cabinet sitting on the carpeted floor, on four inches of high density acoustic foam, on rubber feet and on spikes. I’d post the measured results for each set of comparisons, but there would be no point. In each case the measured responses of the four options were identical.
Note that this was on a carpeted floor. There may be some slight benefits to isolation devices or rubber feet on a bare floor, or on a bare shelf or stand. But you never want a bare floor, it’s an acoustical nightmare. If you only have area rugs in your listening room stick a piece of felt carpet padding, a carpet scrap or rubber feet under your speaker. If you're using bookshelves on a bare shelf or stand small rubber feet or felt pads are all you need to prevent spurious vibrations. Spikes do have one use, that's with carpeted floors. If your speakers move on carpet at high volume spikes will give them better grip, helping to stop movement.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #160 of 161 Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-13378

Only issue is S&H. if you get a few people to pool in and buy many of them then you save a lot on S&H
post #161 of 161 Old 05-18-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 279
You could always purchase these😳😳😳

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532233/eden-sound-tera-stone-footers

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page