New SVS Isolation feet - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #241 of 258 Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 258 Old 08-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Bill Fitzmaurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
That's because you're exposing the enclosure to long wavelength low frequency sound waves. They don't travel through the cabinet to the floor and then through the floor to the enclosure, they travel from the driver cone through the air. What the cabinet is sitting on won't change that. It might be possible to de-rattle the fireplace, but it also might not.
Bill - I wanted to thank you for the YouTube video you provided. I finally got around to listening to the entire video and found it very informative. In particular, the "Stairway To Heaven" demonstration blew me away, as well as the many demo's that Ethan provided.
post #243 of 258 Old 09-05-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 534
New SVS Isolation feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post
how is this product compared to the Auralex Acoustics GREAT GRAMMA?

Ha at first I thought this was about the flying turtle

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
djreef and ChromeJob like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 09-06-2015 at 06:34 AM.
post #244 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, I have to admit Ive read through this thread in depth. I still have the lingering question in mind,

If the sub has the SVS isolation feet installed, then there is no real benefit using the sub on a subwoofer riser like an SudDudeHT from Auralex at the same time?
post #245 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2987
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesu View Post
Ok, I have to admit Ive read through this thread in depth. I still have the lingering question in mind,
If the sub has the SVS isolation feet installed, then there is no real benefit using the sub on a subwoofer riser like an SudDudeHT from Auralex at the same time?
Since neither can do what they claim to do you might as well be asking if there's any benefit to taking both a pink and a blue sugar pill.
mtbdudex and uniquepattern like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #246 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LOL, thanks. You may have saved me around 100 bucks then!
post #247 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Since neither can do what they claim to do you might as well be asking if there's any benefit to taking both a pink and a blue sugar pill.
Actually, thats simple.... Taking BOTH pills will leave you with more of an energy rush then just the Pink or just the Blue!

Random Quote: Most people think the inside of a speaker is a magical oasis of fairy dust and unicorns.
post #248 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I ordered two of these kits, one 4 piece and one 6 piece. I tried them out on my SVS SB2000, PB-2000 and PB-12+ subwoofers. Got identical results on each and decided they were not for me so they sit on the shelf for now. They did indeed decouple each of the subs from the hardwood floor that I tested them on. The result was that the walls and surrounding things like pictures and fireplace screens no longer rattled. So I lost all the low frequency coupling to the floor but gained a huge increase in chest thumping mid freq's that you could feel hit you hard. I used the Transformer Age of Extinction first 7 minutes to test this. Where the alien presses the button on the space ship resulted in a huge shock wave that hit me right in the chest with the isolation feet installed! But all the earth shaking rumbling in the other 7 minutes of the movie was gone. So they totally changed the effect that the sub had on the room. Yes they did eliminate the wall rattling which would pacify your neighbors. But I bought my subs to SHAKE THE WALLS!!!!!! The effect of the feet was HUGE, not subtle. When I watch an earth shaking scene I want the floor to shake, the walls to rattle and the whole room to come alive. The isolation feet killed all that in favor of a 40-70 Hz boost. Not my cup of tea!
post #249 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjhonda500 View Post
I ordered two of these kits, one 4 piece and one 6 piece. I tried them out on my SVS SB2000, PB-2000 and PB-12+ subwoofers. Got identical results on each and decided they were not for me so they sit on the shelf for now. They did indeed decouple each of the subs from the hardwood floor that I tested them on. The result was that the walls and surrounding things like pictures and fireplace screens no longer rattled. So I lost all the low frequency coupling to the floor but gained a huge increase in chest thumping mid freq's that you could feel hit you hard. I used the Transformer Age of Extinction first 7 minutes to test this. Where the alien presses the button on the space ship resulted in a huge shock wave that hit me right in the chest with the isolation feet installed! But all the earth shaking rumbling in the other 7 minutes of the movie was gone. So they totally changed the effect that the sub had on the room. Yes they did eliminate the wall rattling which would pacify your neighbors. But I bought my subs to SHAKE THE WALLS!!!!!! The effect of the feet was HUGE, not subtle. When I watch an earth shaking scene I want the floor to shake, the walls to rattle and the whole room to come alive. The isolation feet killed all that in favor of a 40-70 Hz boost. Not my cup of tea!

Greg, you must have taken both the pink and blue pill, which rather than containing sugar were LSD. Bill Fitzmaurice says the feet can not do what you claim they did, so you must have hallucinated it.
djreef likes this.
post #250 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
Quote:
Despite the anecdotal evidence, I have never seen any facts to support this(like graphs showing frequency response...you know, what we actually hear and not just imagine we hear). I have seen plenty of reports of people measuring and showing zero difference...have not seen the opposite.

I do think that a subwoofer with no rubber feet sitting on hardwood is likely to dance or vibrate at high levels. But that is what the $2 rubber feet most subs come with are for. Imo, if a "special" type of rubber foot made a drastic difference in how a subwoofer performs, don't you think companies would include such an inexpensive feature on their premium, multi thousand dollar subs? I mean, why design and sell a $2k or $3k sub when installing feet that probably only cost a few more dollars would result in such a drastic performance improvement compared to the cheap feet that every sub in the world already comes with. Again, rubber feet work, that's why they all come with them at no extra price as part of the design.

Now, I hope that these mystical isolation products do actually provide some sort of real, not imagined, benefit. But until I see proof of it and not just anecdotal evidence, my money is staying in my pocket.

For now, I'm happy with something like this http://www.parts-express.com/penn-el...061-h--260-770 for 85 cents each for use on my hardwood floors.

Again, I'm not saying I am absolutely 100% convinced either way...anything is possible. Logic, common sense, physics, and lack of proof lead me to believe these isolation products are questionable. I'd like to see some measurements showing they work. I know I have plenty of rattles that happen in my house with high LFE levels........I can lean up against my front entry door and stop it from rattling. Pretty sure that is caused by SPL traveling through the air though.

Last edited by bear123; 01-25-2016 at 02:31 PM.
post #251 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts, and glowing reviews of snake-oil products by one-post wonders.
jjackkrash likes this.

post #252 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 04:33 PM

The isolation feet make a profound difference! My empirical evidence totally convinces me. I've been mounting and isolating machines as an automation engineer for over 15 years. There's a whole industry out there that's engineering isolation feet, some very sophisticated and and some very simple like these SVS foot mounts. I don't need a remote sensor with a spectrum analyzer printout to show me a difference that's easy to hear. Many of these manufacturers have published data on the amount and type of vibration reduction their isolation feet will produce. People want reviews and empirical results for these mounts. Just because I don't take detailed measurements I shouldn't post my results?????? People have been isolating turntables, punch presses (very low freq.), and all sorts of equipment successfully for a long time. The profile and elasticity of the SVS mounts all but kill any transmission to the immediate floor. In that sense they are extremely well designed!
post #253 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Here's some data for hemispheric isolation pads which are similar to the SVS pads. I've used these and they are great:

sorbothane.com/Data/Sites/31/pdfs/data-sheets/102-Sorbothane-performance-curves.pdf

Of course I've only been designing guitar amps, transmission lines, monitors, and RF equipment, and mechanical servo systems for over 20 years both on paper and in the lab. Both on my own, for a major computer manufacture and now as an electrical engineer doing automation. Yes the these pads prove that the laws of physics do hold, no snake oil here!
post #254 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Forgot also, that before ordering these pads, of curiosity, I strung my small Yamaha subwoofer up in the air, no mechanical coupling to the floor! Completely killed the low frequency wall and floor shaking. So I viewed the SVS pads as somewhere between having the factory thin, hard pads as heavily coupled to the floor and the sub in the air completely uncoupled. Of course the speaker cone is still moving air and all the energy has to either go into the air or propel the floating subwoofer. It did both! These decoupling pads are used the world over and have been for over 100 years. No need to reinvent the data for such a well proven method. The punch presses I design use a slightly more complex version of this SVS pad but the base and harmonic frequencies are very similar. The sub and its environment form a mechanical and acoustic system. Changing the coupling between elements of this system changes the response of the system. I don't suppose that SVS failed to select and test these isolators before selling them. They are very effective but you have to decide if the effect they have is beneficial to your system/problem!
post #255 of 258 Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 PM

Wow. Just tried sitting my 12" sub on the foam it was shipped on. Not as pronounced as the SVS isolation feet but similar effect. You might want to try that for a few days or even trim the foam into 4 corner legs to see if it provides the degree of isolation you're looking for. Not my cup of tea but might save you the hassle of trying out the SVS isolators and having to return them. The right density and thickness of foam might even provide a permanent solution!
post #256 of 258 Old 01-26-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're not a troll or shill and that your claimed results are real. If so what they prove is that your subwoofer is defective. Well designed and constructed subs do not transmit low frequency vibrations directly to the floor because their panels do not vibrate.
What is possible when played at very high levels is that the cabinet can rock about. Curing that doesn't require anything either exotic or expensive. Simple vinyl pads will do the trick.

The main claims made by both Auralex and SVS that are totally bogus is that these things will reduce transmission of low frequency sound through walls, floors and ceilings. That claim defies the laws of acoustics. The specific SVS claim that their feet are "the next best thing to sound-proofing" cannot be classified as anything but snake oil.

Again, assuming you're not a troll or shill, I won't dismiss your claimed work experience. Isolation does work with devices that naturally vibrate. For instance, the engine in a car. Motor mounts do reduce transmission of that vibration to the vehicle frame. If you have a sub that vibrates like a car engine does it's defective, pure and simple. Part of the science involved in loudspeaker design lies in making the cabinet for all practical intents and purposes inert.

My experience is as a professional loudspeaker designer, extending back 45 years.

post #257 of 258 Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 AM

Sorry Bill, you couldn't be more wrong. These do work and they work big time. I tried them on my SVS SB-2000, PB-2000 and PB-12Plus. The difference is night and day.
post #258 of 258 Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry Bill, you couldn't be more wrong. These do work and they work big time. I tried them on my SVS SB-2000, PB-2000 and PB-12Plus. The difference is night and day.
In that case the benefit of the doubt is rescinded, until you provide peer reviewable data that proves your assertion. As to whether SVS has tested them, if they had they would have peer reviewable data, and it would be prominently displayed in their advertising. The fact that nothing of the sort is there says proverbial volumes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page