New SVS Isolation feet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone have any opinions or experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Until they produce repeatable peer reviewed measured results to back up their claims they should not be taken seriously. Anyone can claim anything, proving it is what counts.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Hmmm, how'd I know Bill would comment in here? biggrin.gif

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #4 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

Hmmm, how'd I know Bill would comment in here? biggrin.gif
I'm surprised that a believer in pixie dust didn't beat me to it. wink.gif

post #5 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Lol, $50 for rubber feet! Good one, SVS, way to dupe the rubes! *high five*
post #6 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
they do look nicer than a sub riser

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #7 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
I just can't beleive it.. confused.gif http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/subwoofer-accessories/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=295&category_id=32 NOT! They are calling it a system rolleyes.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #8 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
50 bucks for a 45 day trial then send them back. if my subs were not on carpet id try them for 45 days, why not.

Nashou
audiofan1 likes this.
post #9 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I never looked, but could you just order 2 inch rubber blocks and do something similar?

Not sure how much those would be....I'll check.
steve nn likes this.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #10 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
yeah, even I who have their products can't hesitate to say this sounds a little over the top to me.
steve nn likes this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #11 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 244
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N5VYRI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A385A0XNQBW8HY

These look like they would work too.
steve nn likes this.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #12 of 161 Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
These look like the fleet that came with my Hsu sub

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #13 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I never looked, but could you just order 2 inch rubber blocks and do something similar?

Not sure how much those would be....I'll check.

I have sorbothane discs under my sb12. They cost about 25 bucks as I recall. Not very elegant or clean

Thread was more just a question though. I am not looking for any new products, just curious after I received a blast email.
Wondering if anyone had any experience with them
post #14 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Those not in the know will snatch these up. As much as I love SVS they seem to be becoming more and more mainstream these days.
post #15 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1330
Lol
post #16 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Those not in the know will snatch these up. As much as I love SVS they seem to be becoming more and more mainstream these days.

Hm, "mainstream..."

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #17 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Hm, "mainstream..."

Indeed. Imagine my disappointment to see the word "Quantum" excluded from the Product Announcement email as well. wink.gif

I think when any of us "Armchair Engineers" can do better.....then it is WE who should invest our money, take the risks, and launch a product that sets the Audio Industry on it's proverbial ear.

"Isolators" are not a new concept. There's probably 50 of them in your home already, installed in home appliances, etc. Out in the driveway....your Car has a few! Engine Mounts, Shock Absorbers, etc.

Just try driving around with a V8 mounted on "Tip Toes"!!!

Vibration Isolation has been used in almost countless applications for the better part of 100yeaars,, and IMO....disputing SVS's accessory offering is to tell a Century's worth of engineers (With Peer Review no less) that their "science" was dead wrong. Only in an Audio Forum can such "myths" can be revealed!!!! (while others are propagated as being some sort of "Truth")

Myrtle Wood Pucks for your Amplifiers anyone? Harvested from an Enchanted Forest? I'm sure the Scientific Community is majorly excited about those as being the "New Frontier"

My Subs sound fabulous in my Music System. I bought the SVS product to perhaps shut my "China Cabinet" up a little bit, and to do so in much the same way as the engine mounts in my Truck help keep my Teeth in their sockets. They (SVS) have earned my Trust, and they DON'T sell snake oil.

If the Isolators aren't your cup of Tea fine. Don't buy them, Simple enough yes? Perhaps a $2500 AC Cord is a better option. LOADS of complimentary "peer review" on those eh?

Peace Out.

CV
post #18 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV580DRVR View Post

Indeed. Imagine my disappointment to see the word "Quantum" excluded from the Product Announcement email as well. wink.gif

I think when any of us "Armchair Engineers" can do better.....then it is WE who should invest our money, take the risks, and launch a product that sets the Audio Industry on it's proverbial ear.

"Isolators" are not a new concept. There's probably 50 of them in your home already, installed in home appliances, etc. Out in the driveway....your Car has a few! Engine Mounts, Shock Absorbers, etc.

Vibration Isolation has been used in almost countless applications for the better part of 100yeaars,, and IMO....disputing SVS's accessory offering is to tell a Century's worth of engineers (With Peer Review no less) that their "science" was dead wrong. Only in an Audio Forum can such "myths" can be revealed!!!! (while others are propagated as being some sort of "Truth")

Myrtle Wood Pucks for your Amplifiers anyone? Harvested from an Enchanted Forest? I'm sure the Scientific Community is majorly excited about those as being the "New Frontier"

My Subs sound fabulous in my Music System. I bought the SVS product to perhaps shut my "China Cabinet" up a little bit, and to do so in much the same way as the engine mounts in my Truck help keep my Teeth in their sockets. They (SVS) have earned my Trust, and they DON'T sell snake oil.

If the Isolators aren't your cup of Tea fine. Don't buy them, Simple enough yes? Perhaps a $2500 AC Cord is a better option. LOADS of complimentary "peer review" on those eh?

Peace Out.

CV

Nice. Someone with experience with the product in question. I read your email to say that you notice a difference and the china cabinet no longer rattles. Is that correct?
post #19 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM

OK...perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

The product has JUST been released, and my Isolators (and T-Shirts) won't be here any sooner than yours. smile.gif

End of this week I'm guessing.

I hope this clarifies that matter....

My experiences with SVS over the past while has been that they simply WON'T sell you a product that "doesn't work".

In this case? My Subs have been wonderful, and I'm only trying to further blend my audio system into the household "dynamic" using real engineering! My experiences have shown me that SVS knows what they're doing, and the empirical evidence with "vibration isolation" that exists in the engineering world leads ME to believe that the "ISO-PATH" isolators may help me out with this silly little issue. (Before I take the China Cabinet to the Curb: Disguised as a small box of splinters, and broken glass)

I've got 45 days to decide! No better opportunity exists IMO.

CV
post #20 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is that the vibrations created by a sub that cause vibrations of objects and transmission of bass through ceilings, walls and floors aren't transmitted from the cabinet to the floor, they are transmitted through the air as sound waves. These feet can have no more effect than does isolating a Harley atop air filled rubber tires to prevent it from being heard a half mile away.
leninGHOLA likes this.

post #21 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If my sub sat on the floor shaking like a car engine I could understand where your coming from. But since it is built and braced properly it sits there like a rock, mmm just like many of the SVS products I have had in the past. If I were to place my SW on a hard wood floor, I would elect to go with a nice throw rug. I can see if a guy wants to use the feet for looks, fine.. but if he or she thinks they are going to get away from sound pressure waves, it’s not going to happen. Hang it from the ceiling, set it on gel packs, rubber, foam or whatever, the feet don’t address sound pressure waves which is 99.999% of the issue.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #22 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM

Hey Bill...where in NH are you?

I lived in Nashua for a good period of time. Gorgeous State...particularly THIS time of year.

Leaf Peepers? Oh Gosh....stay OFF of Rte 3! eek.gif

Isolation works. Period. This is why the best turntables (if you're an Analog guy) have suspensions. And your car...and your Washing machine...etc.

Not going to get into a pissing contest here.......if you don't like the product? Don't buy it. BOLT your stuff to a suspended floor and love it.

I understand the idea between "airborne" energy in the form of soundwaves, but what about the raw mechanical energy of a powerful sub being transmitted through the structure?

Tell Us More!!

No matter....I think the SVS offering is my "get out of jail" card with respect to some unwelcome vibrations (I cell them: Poltergeists) in my kitchen. We'll disregard some of the more hilarious discussions I've had with SVS regarding some "Discoveries" in my HVAC ducts a few years ago. My little boy it seems had deposited a LARGE cache of Legos, Pokemon Cards, and other "momentos" in the registers. Boy! They can rattle! Raw mechanical energy shakes things UNDER the house!!

Apartment dwellers may have similar reasons to take a closer look at the SVS offering. In lieu of a nice Glock handgun, those Bitching neighbors could very well be a thing of the past, without the risk of Prison time, etc.

All the best guys!

CV
post #23 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It's the low frequency soundwaves your subwoofer produces that make things in your room rattle, not the vibrations from the subwoofer's enclosure itself, unless it is very poorly constructed. If these $50 "isolation pads" make a difference, then wouldn't a set of $7 rubber 'floor protectors' like these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Sliders-1-in-Round-Sliding-Discs-8-Pack-08025/100156053?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100156053&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=100156053&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UkzZttKsiSo

do the same thing? or even a set of $3

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-1-in-Heavy-Duty-Self-Adhesive-Felt-Pads-16-Pack-9952H/100372174#.UkzaNNKsiSo ?

Or better yet, ask why the manufacturer of a subwoofer that costs hundreds of dollars (and even thousands) cant just include rubber feet that effectively do the same thing? What's wrong with the rubber feet that come with it?, and why don't they just include effective 'feet' that isolate vibrations in the first place? hmmmm.... I call shenanigans. eek.gif

Joseph
SaviorMachine likes this.

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #24 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand the idea between "airborne" energy in the form of soundwaves, but what about the raw mechanical energy of a powerful sub being transmitted through the structure?
With a well designed and constructed sub for all intents and purposes there isn't any. People who understand how speakers work are aware of this, and wouldn't give these things a second glance. But the vast majority of users have no clue as to how speakers work, other than 'you plug it in and turn it on'. That's the target demographic for audio products that do nothing but to enrich their sellers, and I'm afraid that SVS might have succumbed to the lure of easy pickings.

post #25 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Isolation works. Period. This is why the best turntables (if you're an Analog guy) have suspensions. And your car...and your Washing machine...etc.

All your examples are supper bad examples of the issue at hand here. Our SW's are not osculating washing machines which have their tubs on some type of shock assembly. That's why I said 99.999% Just put your hand on a sub when it's in play as I'm sure you know$
oneeyeblind likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #26 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Bill...where in NH are you?

I lived in Nashua for a good period of time. Gorgeous State...particularly THIS time of year.

Leaf Peepers? Oh Gosh....stay OFF of Rte 3! eek.gif

Not going to get into a pissing contest here.......if you don't like the product? Don't buy it. BOLT your stuff to a suspended floor and love it.

Tell Us More!!

No matter....I think the SVS offering is my "get out of jail" card with respect to some unwelcome vibrations (I cell them: Poltergeists) in my kitchen. We'll disregard some of the more hilarious discussions I've had with SVS regarding some "Discoveries" in my HVAC ducts a few years ago. My little boy it seems had deposited a LARGE cache of Legos, Pokemon Cards, and other "momentos" in the registers. Boy! They can rattle! Raw mechanical energy shakes things UNDER the house!!

Apartment dwellers may have similar reasons to take a closer look at the SVS offering. In lieu of a nice Glock handgun, those Bitching neighbors could very well be a thing of the past, without the risk of Prison time, etc.

All the best guys!

CV

you been smoking that good sheet mon
post #27 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM

OK Fellas...we agree to disagree.

I'll leave you all to revel in your expertise while I quietly sign off.

Please.....DO reveal your revelatory solutions at some later time, so that folks like myself (ie: The Unwashed Masses) can struggle to grasp the depth of
your knowledge and insights.

Surely.....a $2500 AC Cord is a better solution.

Why didn't I think of that??

G'night all!!!

CV
post #28 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey I am just giving you a hard time...if they work for you thats all that matters.
post #29 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
CV,

No one here really cares if you want to blow $50 on crap that won't do a damn thing. Go ahead. You've shown us all exactly where your priorities are. Good luck to ya.

Now, for the umpteen people that will read this thread, that will never , ever post even a "HI, I'm new here, and I don't ever post...." but will read this thread, just looking for info, please learn from what you've seen, and don't make the same mistake. This is for you, not the guy who already knows everything. You guys (and gals) are the ones that can truly benefit, and that is why so many of us keep posting the same things, to dispell myths, and hopefully to enlighten those who care to learn. "Some people, you just cant reach..." rolleyes.gif

Joseph
steve nn likes this.

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #30 of 161 Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 255
As a safe bet, I think I'll agree with Bill Fitzmaurice;). Well … to a point, that is (Mr. Fitzmaurice knows full well that vibrations do indeed transfer from one object to another that it is touching … it's the amount of vibration that is in question).

I purchased two subwoofers (an SVS for one room and a PSA for another), and guess what? Both came with feet pads. Imagine that! I suspect if one chose not to use the pads and set up their subwoofer so the full bottom area of the chassis makes direct contact with the floor, vibration transmission may be a problem (for those subs that do not have opposing drivers), but even then, the sound waves themselves will cause the vast majority of the vibrations. Good thing too. If subwoofers didn't vibrate the walls, floors and you into jelly, we wouldn't buy them.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page