AVS Forum banner

paradigm monitor 12 sub makes pop sound when turning on?

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mazuma 
#1 ·
My paradigm monitor 12 sub makes a small pop sound when I power on my receiver. Is this normal? Is this going to damage the sub? Is there any way to fix this? Currently it's hooked up to an older yamaha rx-v661 receiver. It will also pop if the receiver is on, but the sub was asleep. So, really any time an audio source is detected and the sub turns on. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. I don't want to harm this sub.

#2 ·
If nothing works, switch on sub after you turn on your avr (Last In; First Out). And switch it off before switching off the avr. IOW, your sub should be the last to turn on and first to turn off when you are using/shutting down your HT.

On a side note, are you using any signal processing unit between the sub and avr like BFD, SMS-1, mini dsp, etc?

#3 ·
The receiver turns on, then the sub comes on. Or, the receiver is already on and I turn on the blu-ray. The new audio source is detected and the sub turns on from stand by. In both of these cases I get the pop. The pop volume is determined by how loud the receiver volume is set at.

I'm not sure how to turn the sub off first if the sub is set to auto turn on/off?

Also, no signal processing unit between.

#7 ·
I will try plugging it into another socket. Although long term that won't solve my problem. I only have one socket on the wall where everything sits and no easy way to route to another source. I will still try this though. I want to see if this fixes the problem.

#8 ·
I tried plugging it into a different outlet and it still pops. I also tried a new cable for the receiver to the sub. Same. Still pops. Not sure what to try next except get a new receiver. Anyone have any other ideas. One thing I also noticed is that when I unplugged the sub after testing it various ways it seemed like the sub also made a very tiny sound as power was removed. Similar to the pop get when turing on, only quieter. Almost like it was discharchrging the last bit of energy. Is this the same thing it's doing when it pops on turning on?

#9 ·

I have had two Monitor Sub 12s.  My current one as well as a loaner store demo unit while mine was on order.  The pop you describe when the sub detects a signal and the softer one when a period of time has gone by with no signal both seem to be typical of the model.  I have my receiver set for a low initial volume on start up and for me the sub only wakes up once the first audio signal reaches it.  I don't find it bothersome.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuma  /t/1493586/paradigm-monitor-12-sub-makes-pop-sound-when-turning-on#post_23805424

My paradigm monitor 12 sub makes a small pop sound when I power on my receiver. Is this normal?
It's normal in so much as inexpensive sub amps don't employ soft-start style power supplies or delayed start relays to prevent this. It shouldn't bother anything, other than being annoying.

Reactions: SaviorMachine
#11 ·
I ended up taking my sub back to the dealer and they said it need repaired. It's still under warranty so I said ok. A week later they were done and I brought it home. It made the pop sound the first time turned it on. So, I'm not sure what they fixed?

I decided to send Paradigm technical support an email to find out once and for all what is going on. Below is their reply.

There is a high current amplifier in this subwoofer so a small pop when turning off or on is normal, as long as the subwoofer doesn’t pop while music is playing through it you are fine.

I'm going to go with that. I guess/hope problem is resolved. Thanks to all who chimed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.