paradigm monitor 12 sub makes pop sound when turning on? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-05-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My paradigm monitor 12 sub makes a small pop sound when I power on my receiver. Is this normal? Is this going to damage the sub? Is there any way to fix this? Currently it's hooked up to an older yamaha rx-v661 receiver. It will also pop if the receiver is on, but the sub was asleep. So, really any time an audio source is detected and the sub turns on. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. I don't want to harm this sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
If nothing works, switch on sub after you turn on your avr (Last In; First Out). And switch it off before switching off the avr. IOW, your sub should be the last to turn on and first to turn off when you are using/shutting down your HT.

On a side note, are you using any signal processing unit between the sub and avr like BFD, SMS-1, mini dsp, etc?

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 11 Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

The receiver turns on, then the sub comes on. Or, the receiver is already on and I turn on the blu-ray. The new audio source is detected and the sub turns on from stand by. In both of these cases I get the pop. The pop volume is determined by how loud the receiver volume is set at.

I'm not sure how to turn the sub off first if the sub is set to auto turn on/off?

Also, no signal processing unit between.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how to turn the sub off first if the sub is set to auto turn on/off?

You should have a button on the sub to manually turn it on/off apart from auto on/standby toggle switch.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #5 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Believe it or not, there is no power switch whatsoever. I have a Monitor SUB 12 in my other room, waiting to be reviewed. It doesn't have any type of power switch - it's auto on only.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Then OP should try to plug it in a different power socket to isolate the power line. I think this will fix the problem.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #7 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I will try plugging it into another socket. Although long term that won't solve my problem. I only have one socket on the wall where everything sits and no easy way to route to another source. I will still try this though. I want to see if this fixes the problem.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I tried plugging it into a different outlet and it still pops. I also tried a new cable for the receiver to the sub. Same. Still pops. Not sure what to try next except get a new receiver. Anyone have any other ideas. One thing I also noticed is that when I unplugged the sub after testing it various ways it seemed like the sub also made a very tiny sound as power was removed. Similar to the pop get when turing on, only quieter. Almost like it was discharchrging the last bit of energy. Is this the same thing it's doing when it pops on turning on?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 11

I have had two Monitor Sub 12s.  My current one as well as a loaner store demo unit while mine was on order.  The pop you describe when the sub detects a signal and the softer one when a period of time has gone by with no signal both seem to be typical of the model.  I have my receiver set for a low initial volume on start up and for me the sub only wakes up once the first audio signal reaches it.  I don't find it bothersome.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuma View Post

My paradigm monitor 12 sub makes a small pop sound when I power on my receiver. Is this normal?
It's normal in so much as inexpensive sub amps don't employ soft-start style power supplies or delayed start relays to prevent this. It shouldn't bother anything, other than being annoying.
SaviorMachine likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up taking my sub back to the dealer and they said it need repaired. It's still under warranty so I said ok. A week later they were done and I brought it home. It made the pop sound the first time turned it on. So, I'm not sure what they fixed?

I decided to send Paradigm technical support an email to find out once and for all what is going on. Below is their reply.

There is a high current amplifier in this subwoofer so a small pop when turning off or on is normal, as long as the subwoofer doesn’t pop while music is playing through it you are fine.

I'm going to go with that. I guess/hope problem is resolved. Thanks to all who chimed in.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page