Few Beginner Sub Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I've been lurking around trying to figure out what sub to buy for a few weeks. I have some idea of what I want, but there were a few questions I had that I wasn't able to answer.

Quick bio: I was looking for 'computer speakers' but instead ended up with a lepai202a+ and pioneer bs22. Am very happy with that and won't be upgrading in the near future. I am looking for a sub for just a little extra oomph in the lower register. I've never had a real sub before except some tiny (smaller than my current speakers) logitech, so I'm under the impression that anything will wow me.

• Budget: ~300 MAX (stretching hard), preferably under 150..
  • Medium size room 20x15 or so, but does that matter if i'm sitting next to it?
  • 33% gaming, 33% tv/movies, 33% music (in background, i don't critically listen). I also usually listen to low-normal levels (no high vol). 

Questions:

1. Is there such thing as a subwoofer with a control pod that I can put on my desk? (not too much of a big deal, shouldn't be so lazy)
  2. My understanding that I would be connecting this setup by having speaker wire from the lepai go to the high level input on the sub, and then from sub to each speaker. Is it possible to use the speakers without the sub (ie. sub off), or is it just the obvious turn volume all the way down.
  3. Having no plans to upgrade for a while, does it make sense to even buy a sub say 200-300 thats 2-3x as expensive as my speakers. I've never had a real sub and the 'best' sub I've heard was from a friends logitech z2300, so I wonder if I would notice a big difference between 100-150$ sub and 200-300$.
  4. I also have my speakers on for ~4 hours a day in one stretch(with stuff playing on/off). Is it bad for the sub to be on auto, and turn on/off multiple times in an evening? Would it be better to just set it to on for a few hours while i use it? This kind of ties in to Q2, as well
  5. Slightly unrelated, is it okay for me to switch the inputs to the lepai while it is on (connected to speaker/sub)? I mute my computer and then switch to ps3, and vice versa so there's no input at the time.

In the <150 range, I feel like the dayton1200 is pretty highly recommended, but stretching ~300, I see the pl-200, BAS-500, and a few others to name a few. I was thinking about getting the dayton but I keep seeing reviews on how 'bad' and 'throw-away' something is and to just 'stretch' another 200$. This seems to be a vicious cycle though so IDK.

Given that this is for a computer setup, for someone who's never owned a sub, and listens at lower volume, would you suggest the dayton/other budget sub, or just jump for a more expensive one.

That was longer than anticipated, but thanks for reading

Blargh88

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Budget subwoofer thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread

If your buying a small sub, try putting it if possible behind the monitor, it makes the gaming experience more exciting. My heart jumps everytime I get shot with a shotgun in Counter strike. Plus the close distance makes up for its size.

1. None, But since its close enough, you can easily adjust the volume / power on switch . Some subs offer remote, but not at the price point of $300
2. Yes, You can also just use another set of speaker wire from the lepai to the subwoofer. Make sure you get a subwoofer with speaker level inputs
3. Can't comment on this, but a subwoofer would always be the biggest speaker in your setup and it includes a an amplifier., so normally it cost a bit more.... but not always
4. no issues with it being on Auto on and being used for long hours
5. If using the SWITCH on the amp, it should be ok, but when switching/removing cables, Sub should be OFF

Rule of "thump", buy the most expensive sub you can afford and you wont regret it and you would not suffer from the dreaded "What if" scenario.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
JBL ES250 is a good sub for 200.00.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargh88 View Post

My understanding that I would be connecting this setup by having speaker wire from the lepai go to the high level input on the sub, and then from sub to each speaker.

The Polk PSW505 is an excellent sub for the price and has the speaker level inputs and outputs you are looking for. Currently on sale through today at Newegg, but still might be near that price afterwards (check Amazon, too).

post #5 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Even at a low budget I would hold out for a sale on a proven sub that has some capability to 20hz range, which is the bottom of the audible spectrum. Those $100 to even $300 ported bargain subs are going to have a port tune of low to mid 30's in most cases. That's pretty much unacceptable to me -- especially with your use case. You are saying nearfield placement with low volume levels for computer use --- so you don't need 'loud', you just want a bit lower than your typical retail priced sub in that pricerange is going to get you.

You need to look used or close out and get something that was normally $550- $700 range and buy it on clearance or used for your price range. A perfect example of this was the sale on the Jamo sub 650 at vanns. It was a sealed sub for $250 but had solid frequency response done to 20hz. It was not a powerhouse loud sub - but you aren't looking for that.

There is a great classified section on this forum. Take a peek in there and buy something used that represented a higher value when new, or watch the hot deals section. I personally can't really recommend anything ported that is tuned in the 30hz range. There is just too much content missing on modern media, games, and movies. For example: I watched this video I made for another AVSforum member question on my logitech computer speakers with subwoofer and I couldn't even hear ANY of the notes I was trying to show off in my video demo. Unacceptable ---- Pitiful in fact! How could I show someone what it feels like to have the low frequencies when they can't reproduce the low frequencies? rolleyes.gif Also in having a really nice home theater system when I'm using my computer speaker setup - it's a totally different lessor experience - to the point that songs sound difference, and I tend to throw on my Sennheiser headphones because at least then I can hear the bottom octave or two that is otherwise completely missing.

The logitech sub you have heard will do loud (actually surprisingly loud). but is boomy and tuned very high --- it definitely won't do low. I want nothing to do with subs like that anymore.

something like one of these is 25% more $ than your stated budget and sub suggestions thrown out ---- but WORLDS better!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423438/svs-20-39-pci-subwoofer

or this
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488954/ed-a7s-450-subwoofer-i-paid-850

or this diy setup - drivers
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492419/tc-sounds-tc-1000-10-inch-sub-drivers
with these boxes
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/1-5-sub-flat-pack.html
with this amp - and some boosting applied using the DSP.
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000DSP-iNuke-Power-Amplifier/dp/B005EHIN3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381190041&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke+dsp+1000

if staying under $300 is a must - you might consider something like this - at least it'll be solid into the mid 20's. (still not my preference because it is down so far by 20hz.)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452893/hsu-research-stf-2-powered-subwoofer

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I just found this for 200.00. eD A3-200, digs down to 18hz. Sounds like a bargain for 2 bills imo.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493184/ed-a2-300-subwoofer-pickup-in-chicagoland
Archaea and dominguez1 like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Good find basshead81, another solid option and in the budget specified!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I just found this for 200.00. eD A3-200, digs down to 18hz. Sounds like a bargain for 2 bills imo.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493184/ed-a2-300-subwoofer-pickup-in-chicagoland

+1. The eD A2-300 is an awesome sub, and is what kind be addicted to subwoofage.

$200 is a great price, and if you check the eD thread, you can get support, if the amp breaks down, from a member there that used to repair all eD amps.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page