post #31 of 34 Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

Even though I feel I have learned much on this site about home theater, I still am a novice when it comes to most of this. I don't think I will need variable tuning. I would also rather have a 5 year.vs 2 year warranty. I feel like this knocks out the HSU offerings. With that being said, is there a reason that the xv15 is more popular right now on this forum vs comparable subs (the pb12 in particular)? Theres about a $50 price difference between the two, with the pb12 edging out the xv15 in this category. Other than price and size, what are the main advantages/disadvantages of these two well-reviewed subs?

The XV15 has more output and has deeper bass. The PB12 is more linear and has very low distortion, even when pushed to the edge. The VTF3 has more output than the PB12 and extension to match the XV15. It is also very linear even when pushed, although it still probably won't match the PB12's very low distortion profile. The Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX deserves mention here. It is a lot like the VTF3, but a bit cheaper. The Outlaw, PB12, and XV15 can be compared directly here, as well as the Hsu VTF15h. Basically the PB12=cleaner bass, the XV15=louder bass, with the Hsu/Outlaw inbetween.

If you can do just a little bit of assembly and can push your budget a little bit, check this kit out. It's heavy, and after shipping it is closer to $1k in price, but it is using two high quality drivers in a very inert cabinet with plenty of juice. It will have a lot of output and very high quality sound, potentially much better than any of the others discussed. It would be my first choice from any of the subs discussed so far (save for the Rythmik FV15HP).
jarretc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

What if I were to go dual subs in the near future? Would that give the advantage to PB12? From what I'm gathering, and correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't really make mistake by going with either one. I'm leaning a little more towards the xv15 due to slightly more output. I would love to get away with just one sub and still keep the price point below $800.

The word around here from folks that have owned both PSA and SVS subs, is the XV15 was a significant upgrade over the PB12NSD. There have been a few mention this(Brian Fineberg is one member). Comparing SVS to PSA subs in the 500.00-800.00 range, PSA ported subs are preferred over SVS(XV15 vs PB12NSD), and SVS sealed subs are preferred over PSA(SB12 vs XS15). Member Renatali stated the SB12 had better sound quality but the XS15 had more output and depth.

Imo I like the form factor and value of the PC12 NSD. The cylinder form has less footprint and cost less then the PB12 with the same performance. Both companies offer multi sub discounts as well.

Dual PSA XV15's = 1518.10 shipped

Dual PC12NSD = 1299.00 shipped
post #33 of 34 Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reviving this thread for an update. I almost pulled the trigger on an xv15 for $799. Then I saw PSA had an xv30 in their outlet center for $1199. I feel like this is a great deal, but I wanted to get feedback from you guys. Given my room dimensions/music tastes, should I pony up the extra $400 and get the xv30 or get one xv15 now and save up for an additional xv15 later?
post #34 of 34 Old 11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Get the bigger sub. I started out with 12 in and worried about adding additional subs and their size. I now have three 18 in subs. It is funny how in 3-6 months we can afford a better sub if we are not completely happy with the bass in the room or just want to upgrade. Something tells me if you really want a second sub down the road, it will happen!smile.gif I have a lot of space to pressurize and there is no way around it.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Xs30 , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page