Add another PSW 505 or ??? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One important defect the 505 has is poor design of built in D-Class amp. It results in audible 60Hz hum to be heard which increases with sub volume and is clearly heard with no signal present on input.

But what was I expecting from $200 sub where loudspeaker and cabinet are most likely 90% of the product cost leaving somewhere around $15-20 or even less for amp pcb. With that money you get what you paid for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
When I started out in this hobby, I started out with less than the 505, but the best that I could do at the time at it’s price point because of AVS/forum.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #33 of 34 Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 AM

My HT journey started in late 90's whem I got my first job and could afford medium priced range speakers (b&w, dynaudio). Being bachelor at that time and receiving decent paycheck, I think I got spoiled by good quality products like these which delivered fantastic, distortion free sound.
As time went on, my priorities changed like for most of people establishing family. I went back to classic stereo selling off my expensive last HT speaker setup. Since that time market evolved and I found lots of great sounding speakers and subs become available for totally different lower price which were great alternative for hardworking family guy. Polk speakers - at least some if these - were exceptional for the quality in price you paid for.
Unfortunately, subwoofers are exception, at least 505 is. Sure, for $200 you get large heavy cube which is worth the money considering craftsmanship and material its made of but sound produced is not as good as its build. And poor built in amp (power supply to be exact) disqualifies this subwoofer totally.
post #34 of 34 Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM

I just got PSW125 today and tried it putting PSW505 aside.

What a difference!

First in music. I played several CDs and it was finally what I long wanted to hear - a highly controlled, tight bass. The Dire Staits Brother in Arms in SACD, blew me completely as Money for Nothing drums never sounded so rich.

I thought that is too good to be true.

So after YPAO calibration I went to movies. The sound of lifting off Bubble Ship in Oblivion warmed my heart and ensured In am getting closer to sub notes heaven for unbelievably low price. Few maual adjustments on speaker levels on my Yamaha receiver made movie soundtrack almost perfect.

But the true ultimate bass experience I enjoyed with Pacific Rim on Blu ray. The bass was always controlled, no resonance or bugging vibrations, just super rich, dense bass complementing my front and center bookshelf Polk speakers. Sitting on my couch I felt those pleasant vibrations precisely following the action, never too much or less than needed, just perfect balance throughout entire sound scene.

Now for the look and build. The sub is huge but surprisingly feels lighter comparing to PSW505 which I still have. The cherry finish was not my favorite choice, neither my wife's but I could not pass additional $100 discount comparing to black version.

I think that the key to great sounding sub in my setup were two things:

- bass port located on the bottom, this causes omnidirectional bass distribution on my hardwood floor where sub is positioned so no matter where I am in the room, I hear and fell the same amount of bass which is exactly what I have expected. Bottom port also makes subwoofer less sensitive to its location. A trick rug covering center area if the hardwood floor attenuates parasitic resonances allowing unspoiled bass distribution.

- secondly, subwoofer frequency response reaching 250Hz enabling higher low notes to be produces with intensity which my main bookshelf speakers can never achieve. With 125Hz bandwidth limit on PSW505, the important part of bass range was just insufficient.

Seems like PSW505 might be good for large room setups with floor standing speakers capable of producing enough med and high bass notes to fill areas of 500 sq.ft or more.

But for my 18 x 20 ft. room with RTiA3 series speakers, the PSW125 is just perfect match. With its unbelievably low price, I was able to save at least 500 bucks on the sub I was planning to get if PSW125 would not work either.

Great versatile sub for amazingly low price. A great reward after big disappointment with much more powerful older brother. Highly recommended.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Premier Acoustic Pa 150 , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Xs30
Gear in this thread - Psw505 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page