Replacing a Velodyne CHT-15 with what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am replacing a Velodyne CHT-15 but do not know what to consider.  If I had the option I would buy this subwoofer again.  It works great in the room and the only addition I would have liked is a remote.  However that is the not option anymore since Velodyne doesn't make this model anymore or the replacement model.

Receiver is being replaced as well and am leaning towards the Onkyo TX-NR818.  Room Dimensions are 20'x22 and I think 12' ceilings.  It could be a little taller.  The room is partially open to another room and the flooring is mainly tile.  To me this would seem to be relevant but I am not sure.  I would like to keep the cost under $1000 but sound matters to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Power Sound Audio XV15 @800 delivered; HSU VTF-15H ~$1,000 delivered. Rythmik FV-15 HP is hundreds more, but best sound quality and considerable output.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/fv15hp.html

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
^^^+1 Both options are a substantial upgrade from the CHT. I’m fond of the CHT because I had a couple of them and velodyne treated me well when I needed a new amp. That being that..

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both.  I really like Rythmik FV-15 HP so now I just need to find the money.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Understand that, even the 12” LVR would be a nice upgrade, so you're in for a big jump in performance to be sure.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 801
Working with steve above, consider a pair of Rythmik LV12Rs. If the budget is completely limited, buy one now and in a short bit, add a second LV12R. By spreading the subwoofer love around the room, you'll get the synergistic benefit of two subs vs a single subwoofer and you'll help with smoothing the inherent peaks and valleys one can normally expect when trying to light a room with a single subwoofer.

-
steve nn likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Seems to me that if movies are the higher priority, a SINGLE sub with the deepest extension and greatest output is the way to go with the possibility of duals down the road, however, if music is the higher priority, DUALS is the way to go. Dr. Geddes uses 3 ordinary subs to create one of the best systems people who have heard it have ever heard, but the system is more music oriented.

If you get a single sub, like the Rythmik FV-15HP and place it in a front corner you may not be able to take the grin off your face.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I think music is more of a priority BUT I want the sound of the Movie to be good.  Now I am confused on how to go.  I guess more research is required.  I am already reconsidering the receiver.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me View Post

I think music is more of a priority BUT I want the sound of the Movie to be good.  Now I am confused on how to go.  I guess more research is required.  I am already reconsidering the receiver.

A couple of points to consider. In the case of music, most music doesn't have content below 30Hz. In the case of music, it's not necessary to go for the biggest and baddest. This is a basic rule of thumb, not a hard rule of thumb. In the case of Home Theater, in simple terms, movie tracks are engineered down to 20Hz but well below 20Hz, one will find there's a bunch of low frequency content. The middle ground is to have a system that plays flat down to 20Hz and from there, the owner of the system can decide if it's worth the time and money to go lower.

In the end, it's all about the Benjamins and how many one has to throw at the problem.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio Lv12r

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page