Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Hmm..well, I am in the market for the best 15" home theater sub under $800 shipped..what would be your top two recommendations?

If you want solid performance in the audible frequency range and can compromise on subsonic depths, PSA XV15 and HSU VTF-15H are worth an audition in your price range.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

If you want solid performance in the audible frequency range and can compromise on subsonic depths, PSA XV15 and HSU VTF-15H are worth an audition in your price range.

Thanks Brave, this was more of a Rhetorical question for ShadyJ, it was designed to put him in a Catch 22 where he would be unable to answer the question.:D

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
biggrin.gif

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Thanks Brave, this was more of a Rhetorical question for ShadyJ, it was designed to put him in a Catch 22 where he would be unable to answer the question.biggrin.gif

Who cares about the diameter of the woofer? End performance is all that matters. But if you want two 15"s under $800 that are better than the XV15, I would go for either the Dayton Titanic 4 15" kit or two PA-150s which can be had for $800 if you make that offer.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are RE mt 18s they are tuned at 40 hz i did a 151db in the dash so yes they are crazy loud. I was referring to ultra low frequency tones. One example is on Justin Timberlake suit and tie song the part right before Jay z raps there are some killer low notes. The Rythmyk played them like a champ but the RE 18's didn't sound near as good. I guess i should have been more clear about it.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Liked: 10
Not sure if anyone has pointed out that the Rythmyk is servo controlled. This really helps with SQ as the amp gets feedback from the sub. really helps with control.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Liked: 801
Absolutely. Much discussion on the Direct Servo Control technology.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 PM

Liked: 13
Man I'd sure hate to be married to Braveheart. He'd drive you nuts:p Sorry Brave, just kidding. OK, enough about YOU, on to ME:D

Have a 20 x 17 media room. Have 7.1 in wall Polk Audio RC85i's, for all 7 Speakers, including center. Anyway, upgraded my FRONT 3 speakers with a Pair of EMP TEK Towers and their largest Center that will be here next week. I almost spent a fortune on speakers, but these will work fine.

I am looking for a sub for my Media Room, the guy at Rythmik suggested the FV15HP. I was also looking at HSU, SVS, etc. I am also upgrading my Projector to an Epson 6030UB. I also just got a Denon AVR-X200 Receiver, so that is what will be running everything, hope it is Good enough for the sub and speakers!

Anyway, please look at my Media Room. Is the FV15HP too big for that room? Is it better to get 2 subs, like a pair of PB2000 or the HSU MK4's, or would the Rythmik FV15HP be better?

I am going round and round with all this sub stuff. I just want my sub to sound clean and TIGHT, have a articulate Thud vs. a flabby whooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Any advice appreciate. Brave, I take it all back. I'd marry you in a heartbeat. You would just have to sleep outside in a tent. Kidding, kidding.

OK, let’s get to it. here are the Pics! (Currently have a Polk Audio PSW1000, there was a run of Polk’s with BAD amps. Some guy on Ebay bought pallets of them, replaced the amp with a Bash Audio Amp. So, I never know exactly what a true PSW1000 sounds like. However, this one I have grown to hate. It just rattles and is NOT tight and clean.

I have NO IDEA where to place my Sob in that room. I will have to figure it out. The PSW 1000 pictured is just where it is convenient.

Also on a side note. JUST got a Samsung 8000 3D TV Hung above firerplace and need a sub for that room too. Wanted something maybe smaller. I think the FV15HP would be too big and the wife would hate it? Maybe looking at a PB2000 or a HSU MK4, or whatever else you guys want to recommend.

Sub will be in Back Left Corner of room. if sitting on couch behind left shoulder. That's where power and sub connection is located. if that's NOT ideal, I can always go wireless.

Pictures of that room:

Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A good start would be to place one sub in the front and a second sub at the back wall. You can also download the Room Eq Wizard (REW) software and use the room simulator feature to look for places that gives you the flatest response. It worked pretty good for me and it stacked up against my measured results.
To verify the results of your placement, you need a calibrated mic to be used with REW to measure your room response.

PS: If you are planning to keep your in-wall polks, did you know you can be spray paint them so that they match your wall color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit View Post

I have NO IDEA where to place my Sob in that room. I will have to figure it out.

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik