Subwoofer placement help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am fairly new to the A/V game, and If it isn't too much trouble, I would like some help with subwoofer placement.

I started with a cheap RCA HTIB. I recently "upgraded" to a slightly less cheap, used, older, Denon AVR-2800, with a set of Aiwa bookshelves. They look like this, if anyone is wondering: http://www.dvdpascher.net/image/matos/aiwa_sxavr1700.jpg 

I also now have a used Mirage omni S8 subwoofer (seemed like a good choice, seeing as the setup is in my small/medium-sized bedroom). Not an ideal setup, not even what most would call decent, but it's definitely an upgrade over what I previously had.

I have previously done the "subwoofer crawl" with my old HTIB sub, and I have found a place that sounded pretty good. I have placed my new subwoofer in that spot, and it appears to be fairly weak (I have to set the level at 3/4 for it to even blend in with the rest of the speakers). I have it set to 12 o-clock (50%) for now. I suspect There may be a problem with the placement, or perhaps my listening position. 

I do have a few questions:

-Is it okay to place a subwoofer near (within a few feet of) an A/C vent?

-Are the results of the subwoofer crawl universal? (Does a spot that sounds good with one particular subwoofer also sound good for another?)

Here is a (very) crude drawing of the room. I hope it is good enough:

-The Purple "S" is where the subwoofer is now.

-The green "AV" is where the audio/video equipment is

-The listening position is indicated by the orange L at the end of the bed.

-The distance from the Listening position to the TV in this pic. would be about 5 feet (not drawn to scale)

-Unlabeled colored boxes are pieces of furniture.

Is there, theoretically, a better spot for it in the room?

Should I think about moving the listening position back a bit?

I can update with dimensions if needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Liked: 16
Just from looking that looks to me, I'm not a total expert, that it would be a decent place. It would ha e some gain because it's near a corner. But if the level isn't acceptable to you, you could move it to a place closer to where your sitting. Maybe the left or right of the bed. Or between the two things in front of the bed on the right side. Also have you checked the Ew and level settings for the sub? Maybe the receiver has the level set low.
spyboy likes this.

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Brad,

I have checked the levels of the different speakers, and they are all set to +/-0 (including the subwoofer).

Also, during my previous test using the crawl, I noticed that that area produces a range that seems to have a hole in it, as if certain frequencies just didn't appear there. 

I would prefer not to place the subwoofer beside the listening position (I don't need large amounts of bass, just enough to actually blend in with the system).

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Would moving the listening position back a bit help out? I've read in the past that you shouldn't put the seating position in the center of a room, because it would have the least bass.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Like Brad suggested, nearfield placement usually works very well.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 16
I would try the nesrfield placement. And see if it helps it play louder and more noticeable. And then turn it down to your liking

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any other places I could possibly use other than nearfield? I'm trying to minimize the number of wires that run across the room.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Is there any other places I could possibly use other than nearfield? I'm trying to minimize the number of wires that run across the room.

I don't think near-field placement will solve your problem coz the listening position itself is in the weakest bass region as per your room. Bass frequencies stay happy along the longest wall. Place the sub in the rear right corner by the bed. It may give you great bass response; listening from the bed. It may not be as strong at your current listening position.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If the OP puts it in the corner next to the bed he will have nearfield placement from the bed wink.gif
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

If the OP puts it in the corner next to the bed he will have nearfield placement from the bed wink.gif

Yeah that's what I meant. In this case he has to calibrate his system keeping the bed as MLP. The current LP itself is a null. Putting the sub near-filed wrt the current LP puts the sub also in null and would be of no use.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300

Tags
Subwoofer Placement