Need Help with Subwoofer!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

Recently, my wife decided to move my Klipsch 8 subwoofer to clean the area. Unfortunately, she didn't realize it was at the very maximum extension of the subwoofer cable, so when she moved it, the male prong snapped while in the sub's jack. When I tried to remove the cable, the metal jacket portion of the prong stayed in the jack while the core came out. I unplugged the sub and fished the metal jacket out of the jack, but now the sub, despite being fully powered, isn't emitting any sounds.

Any thoughts on whether it's completely ruined or fixable (do-it-yourself style since it's only worth a couple hundred bucks)??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

I should add that I have tried two separate subwoofer cables and that I have also tried a "direct CD" test where I plug the analog audio out from a CD player directly into the subwoofer's LINE IN connections....both to no avail. The subwoofer's power light is green, so it's not a power issue.

Maybe with this added info, somebody might have an idea for me smile.gif

Thanks in advance guys!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You probably damaged or bent the contact points inside the socket. If the sub is the RW-8 try using one of the L/R Line Level inputs instead of the LFE input.

Randy
post #4 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

It only has the L/R jacks, no LFE input. Neither of them works since the accident. Here's a photo of the subwoofer's panel. The metal jacket for the RCA plug got stuck in the R input, but neither of the Line in Jacks work now.

When I took the rear panel off, the jacks are glued to the board, so there doesn't seem to be any easy way to replace them either, if they are in fact the problem...which I don't even know is the case for sure. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Take the wire from the nearest speaker and connect it to the speaker level input, left of right, and see if it works that way. This is just a test and not a connection recommendation.

Randy
post #6 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Take the wire from the nearest speaker and connect it to the speaker level input, left of right, and see if it works that way. This is just a test and not a connection recommendation.

You must be some kind of genius or magician. I hooked the sub up to a speaker wire for the center speaker and it worked meaning the problem must have been with the subwoofer input jack, right? Who knows, because immediately thereafter I plugged the subwoofer cord back into its normal input jack and it decided to spontaneously start working again, after being broken for the last 5 days. WTF? Very bizarre but a happy ending. I don't understand it, but I'll definitely take it!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

When I worked in electronics, this is what we referred to as FM or F'ing Magic. Glad it worked.

Randy
post #8 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

When I worked in electronics, this is what we referred to as FM or F'ing Magic. Glad it worked.

Sadly, the magic only worked for about 2 days. Now it's back to having power, but no sound whatsoever coming from it. So now that we realize the issue obviously isn't the speaker itself, does that make it the Subwoofer jack (where the rca prong was originally broken off into) by default? Since the jack is glued to the board, I'm not sure it'll be easy to replace frown.gif Any thoughts?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If you knew how to solder and desolder components, I'd tell you to replace the sockets on the PC Board. Try taking it to a local electronics repair store (if there is such a thing anymore) and they should be able to fix it affordably. It might be cheaper to replace the whole plate amp if you can still get them from Klipsch. Talk to Best Buy service. I think the Sub 8 was part of an HTiB.

Randy
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page