Question about subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

I have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my sound stage and have a question about the placement. I have my TV against a wall that has a dip and was wondering if it would be okay to put my subwoofer behind the tv in the dip. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy10 View Post

Hello,

I have been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my sound stage and have a question about the placement. I have my TV against a wall that has a dip and was wondering if it would be okay to put my subwoofer behind the tv in the dip. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Thanks

It probably wouldn't be ideal. I would expect highly inconsistent coverage (nodes and nulls), and it would boost whatever frequency the proximity to all those corners favored. It could also cause the whole installation to resonate.

Try it if you want, worst thing that happens is you don't like it, and have to move it somewhere else,
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I favor trying it. The sub in the corner will give you the most output. This may or may not give you the cleanest bass. Like the other poster said, give it a try.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have exactly that layout in my room smile.gif

I had my SVS out in the main seating area for a while, kind of to the right of your picture, against the right hand wall, and the bass was okayyyy but nothing to write home about.

When I moved it into the alcove it seemed to provide a real boost to the output! smile.gif

As above, it can be a bit peaky across the room but as I only ever sit along one row of seats, I'm not too fussed if it's louder in the opposite corner and quieter halfway down the room, as long as the output is decent at the sitting position!

In my head it is 1/16th space - i.e. sub on a floor is half space, sub on a floor next to a wall is quarter space, sub on a floor in a corner is 1/8th space... so with an additional wall on the other side, it must be effectively 1/16th space, I think?? Therefore it should provide a good boost to output, albeit slightly peaky at points!

I have Audyssey EQ32 and it has helped tame some of the resultant peaks in frequency response smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
I ... have a question about the placement. I have my TV against a wall that has a dip and was wondering if it would be okay to put my subwoofer behind the tv in the dip.
Give it a try. If it works, leave the sub there; if it doesn't work, move the sub to another location.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page