Looking at adding multiple subwoofers, such thing as too many? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Are you just being argumentative?
Just asking whether improvements to the main listening position automatically result in worse sound at other locations.
Quote:

I'm talking about the electronic adjustments used to optimize the sound for a particular position in space. You know... level settings and distance settings.
Weren't we talking about subwoofer placement? As in, whether placing subwoofers to improve the sound at multiple seats necessitates worsening the sound at the sweet spot?

As for level and distance settings, those are good for a single point in space. I dial those in as normal but am not anal about those settings because neither one of my ears will be precisely at that single point in space.
Quote:

You say you don't have that limitation in your room. Do you have a magic wand or some pixie dust?
Things only appear magical if you believe they're not possible. But there are ways to lessen differences between multiple seats. Researches like Todd Welti have spend a career figuring out ways to do just that in the subwoofer range, taking into account multiple rows of seating.

By comparison, my 3-seat couch (single row, single height) is small beans. By minimizing how drastically the sound falls off outside the sweet spot, I don't have to insist that listeners limit themselves to the sweet spot.
Quote:

At the modal frequency, yeah it probably works. At other frequencies, it's still a crap shoot.
But if the majority of the problems in the subwoofer range are due to room modes (as opposed to, say, speaker boundry interference), then it makes sense to place subs at locations that lessen the effects of those modes. Since modal problems span a dimension, reducing the effects will improve the sound across the dimension (e.g., width)

So, even if you are reducing the effects of the modes solely to improve the sound at the main listening position, you can't prevent it from benefiting the other seats (as opposed to the notion that an improvement at the MLP will necessarily make things worse elsewhere and vice-versa).

Long time AVS poster Markus has a good example of improving the frequency response at the main listening position AND improving seat-to-seat consistency at the same time.

http://mehlau.net/audio/dual_nearfield_sub/

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
While I'm waiting to place the order for my second F25, I have been going over other things I could do to my room to enhance the overall sound quality and have decided to dump a little more money into acoustic treatment.

Right now, I have (12) 24x48x2 Acoustimac panels along the two side walls and back wall, (2) 48x24x4 Acoustimac bass traps along the front wall under my projection screen, and (4) 24x24x4 Acoustimac Corner bass traps in the front corners of the room (2 per corner). Besides adding a few more regular panels, I was thinking of adding a few more corner bass traps to the front corners, but does it offer any improvement by going past a certain height with corner bass traps? I.E. - do they only make a difference up to x amount of inches high or does going all the way to the ceiling still help?

Thanks!
post #63 of 65 Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

I was thinking of adding a few more corner bass traps to the front corners, but does it offer any improvement by going past a certain height with corner bass traps? I.E. - do they only make a difference up to x amount of inches high or does going all the way to the ceiling still help?
The more surface area you cover, the more bass you absorb.

Sanjay
post #64 of 65 Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

The more surface area you cover, the more bass you absorb.

Pretty straight-forward. Thanks!
post #65 of 65 Old 10-26-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Also, think of the walls as mirrors. So, a bass trap (or a sub) in corners get their effective surface area multiplied.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page