Hsu VTF-2 (mk4) vs SVS PB12-NSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am trying to find a good sub for my application. Looking for a Home theater sub, only playing movies in this room. The room is 17f x 14 with 8 f ceilings.
The theater room is on the second floor and is not a real theater room as far as construction, no isolation. The screen wall where the sub would go is the 2nd story wall of an open family room below, there isn't even any insulation in the wall, since it's an interior wall.
So, I really do like good, solid,low bass and was wondering what people thought of these 2 subs for my room parameters. I was originally thinking of the Hsu VTF-3 mk4, but I read that it would be overwhelming in a room smaller than 500f sq?
Also, wondering if the down-firing driver in the VTF might be problematic vs. the front-firing unit in the SVS.
I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 475
No sub would be overwhelming for your room from a performance perspective, although size might be another story. I would go for the VTF3, it will go lower and get louder then either the VTF2 or PB12.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The PB12-NSD is more comparable to the VTF-3 shady mentions. The thee main subs competing in the $750 range are the SVS PB12-NSD, HSU VTF-3 MK4, and PSA XV15. The PC12-NSD is also worth a look which is basically the same sub as the PB12-NSD in cylinder, but on sale for $699 shipped right now.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I was originally thinking of the Hsu VTF-3 mk4, but I read that it would be overwhelming in a room smaller than 500f sq?

A bigger sub commensurate with room is never overwhelming unless you set it up incorrectly and go crazy with the sub trim level / sub gain knob. Powerful sub doesn't mean you crank it hard; it just has more head room to play the transients effortlessly or for loud playback.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #5 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20

VTF2, I have compared them to the vtf3 {I prefer the 2 and its cheaper, I spoke to DR HSU about it and he said a lot of people feel that way}, the vtf2 has a lot of output and it sounds great, I demo'd 7 subs when I picked the vtf2's, lol and they came out on top, I ended up adding another one that I scored second hand, and now it is just silly bass, I usually only run the 2 for movies..

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #6 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
IM, what did you like about the VTF2 over the 3? What size is your listening area?
Thanks
post #7 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have had a Hsu VTF-2 MK4 for a couple months along with an STF-2 for a couple of years. I have really enjoyed the sound of these subs and the features on the VTF-2. These are great sounding subs. I use them at what most folks on AVS Forums would consider medium to low volumes most of the time. The bass is just beautiful.

But... on both models I have experienced quality issues with the physical inputs. I am not sure I will buy from Hsu again in the future. I love the product but these issues are kind of a pain and getting worse over time. I will get around to fixing them some day once I figure out how to get parts replaced. I feel it is worth sharing my experience for potential Hsu buyers to consider.

Issues:
1) STF-2 - upon arrival two years ago, the AC electrical plug/cord would not stick securely into the sub. I have to use gaffers tape to secure the plug and maintain power.
2) STF-2 - after some time, the RCA cable input became flaky. Over time, in Auto power mode, I had to start wiggling the RCA cable to restore the signal to the sub. It has become much worse over the past few months and weeks. Now I need to jiggle the cable/RCA input each time I want to use the sub.
3) VTF-2 MK4 - similar to the second problem above, the VTF RCA input connector has become bent downward. It occasionally loses signal and I have to wiggle it for the sub to start outputting again. While wiggling it I can see that it feels very loose and cheap. I can re-position it to stick stick straight out of the sub, but the weight of the RCA cord pulls the connector back down a bit.

So while I love how Hsu products perform audibly, they do have some cheap component aspects to them that might prevent me from buying again.

I take good care of these subs and protect them from movement or vacuuming etc. The only thing that might have put pressure on the RCA cord and sub connectors recently was small kittens running around the house and bumping into the cord. For the price, I would expect the input components in these products to be built to a quality level that would withstand abuse from small kittens!
post #8 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM

The vtf2 felt like it had more actual output in my room, definitely not worth the price difference I demo'd a lot of subs when building my ht system, almost as many as I demo'd loudspeakers for it, I went back and forth for weeks trying this and that and then this with that, and I came up with the VTF2 as the winner dollar for dollar bang for the buck, its the sub to own...  Its all business that is why they don't offer any special finishes, same thing with the ascend c line, no fancy finishes, just an all quality components for the bare bones price, and with my HT that is what I wanted...

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #9 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post

I have had a Hsu VTF-2 MK4 for a couple months along with an STF-2 for a couple of years. I have really enjoyed the sound of these subs and the features on the VTF-2. These are great sounding subs. I use them at what most folks on AVS Forums would consider medium to low volumes most of the time. The bass is just beautiful.

But... on both models I have experienced quality issues with the physical inputs. I am not sure I will buy from Hsu again in the future. I love the product but these issues are kind of a pain and getting worse over time. I will get around to fixing them some day once I figure out how to get parts replaced. I feel it is worth sharing my experience for potential Hsu buyers to consider.

Issues:
1) STF-2 - upon arrival two years ago, the AC electrical plug/cord would not stick securely into the sub. I have to use gaffers tape to secure the plug and maintain power.
2) STF-2 - after some time, the RCA cable input became flaky. Over time, in Auto power mode, I had to start wiggling the RCA cable to restore the signal to the sub. It has become much worse over the past few months and weeks. Now I need to jiggle the cable/RCA input each time I want to use the sub.
3) VTF-2 MK4 - similar to the second problem above, the VTF RCA input connector has become bent downward. It occasionally loses signal and I have to wiggle it for the sub to start outputting again. While wiggling it I can see that it feels very loose and cheap. I can re-position it to stick stick straight out of the sub, but the weight of the RCA cord pulls the connector back down a bit.

So while I love how Hsu products perform audibly, they do have some cheap component aspects to them that might prevent me from buying again.

I take good care of these subs and protect them from movement or vacuuming etc. The only thing that might have put pressure on the RCA cord and sub connectors recently was small kittens running around the house and bumping into the cord. For the price, I would expect the input component in these products to be built to a quality level that would withstand abuse from small kittens!

Thats too bad, I own 3 hsu products, and know of friends and family that own a few also, never an issue with anything like that....  Were the rca's loose for day one?  I usually plug in a splitter and then it stays in there for ever, I will only pull out of the splitter, not the splitter out of the sub, most people will pllug and forget it and never unpllug the unit again, so it shouldnt be an issue, unless its an issue rite out of the box...  Did you call DR HSU about this?  I am sure he will do what ever he has to, to make you happy, he bent over backwards for me when one of my subs arrived scratched {from the UPS co, of course}....

post #10 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

I take good care of these subs and protect them from movement or vacuuming etc. The only thing that might have put pressure on the RCA cord and sub connectors recently was small kittens running around the house and bumping into the cord. For the price, I would expect the input components in these products to be built to a quality level that would withstand abuse from small kittens!

Do you disconnect them a lot? The tension around plugs can loosen if you disconnect them and reconnect them a lot. Also, a loose RCA connection sound pretty easy to fix, have you looked inside the amp to see the problem? It might be somethign as simple as a bent clip. I have owned lots of Hsu products, never had a problem like any of that.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Do you disconnect them a lot? The tension around plugs can loosen if you disconnect them and reconnect them a lot. Also, a loose RCA connection sound pretty easy to fix, have you looked inside the amp to see the problem? It might be somethign as simple as a bent clip. I have owned lots of Hsu products, never had a problem like any of that.

No, these subs rarely move or are disconnected. I just leave them in the corners and never touch them. I suspect easy to fix and I generally agree that Hsu products are good. Just sharing my experience. My issue is time. Once I get some time I will either take them apart or contact Hsu support. Agreed Hsu folks have great support. I'm just disappointed with these issues.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:

No, these subs rarely move or are disconnected. I just leave them in the corners and never touch them. I suspect easy to fix and I generally agree that Hsu products are good. Just sharing my experience. My issue is time. Once I get some time I will either take them apart or contact Hsu support. Agreed Hsu folks have great support. I'm just disappointed with these issues.

I wouldn't just agree because its easier, I would definitely call them up and get it dealt with, I bet they send you two new amps.  I figured maybe you were unplugging them a lot since the issue is two different subs with the same problem, bought at different times....   so if thats not the case, call em, you spent your money on them units, you should be 100% happy...

post #13 of 21 Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting feedback in this thread as I have been fighting between the HSU VTf-2 MK4 and Rhythmik LV12R, My room size is about 2800 and the HSU is goo up to 4000 and I expect the same of the LV12R. What I like about the HSU is its flexibility w ports. Whether I will prefer down firing vs the LV12R that I dont know, lets say 40% movies 40% music 20% TV. $6 bux seprates the 2, warranties are equal basically. I have read Jims reviews but he has not reviewed this HSU sub or any others. It will be one of the 2 and I am sure I will be happy with either, wish I could get feedback from people who have tested or owned both
post #14 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
I had the vtf2 Mk3 and it was a very good sub indeed. I sold to a friend and he is amazed. I don't have the lv12r but based on reviews and folks' feedback, it is a very nice unit plus it has the servo drive which is articulate for music. Tough choice here.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Seriously, there is no wrong choice here. You should be very happy with either. Go with whichever one you like best.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #16 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

I had the vtf2 Mk3 and it was a very good sub indeed. I sold to a friend and he is amazed. I don't have the lv12r but based on reviews and folks' feedback, it is a very nice unit plus it has the servo drive which is articulate for music. Tough choice here.

You are referring to the VTF-2 MK3 Subwoofer while I am referring to the newer improved model VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

I am curious to know what the improvement is on the VTF-2 MK4 I am leaning to over the Rhythmik LV12R
post #17 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^^I know. I was just saying. Both is good sub, the choice is yours.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:

^^I know. I was just saying. Both is good sub, the choice is yours.

Ahh thanks, yeah it seems to be coming down to a coin toss, the HSU to me looks nicer in appearance although they are both just boxes, lol
post #19 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The HSU has a shiner finish. Some likes, other does not as it reflects light in a dark theater room. The HSU with its down firing makes a good end table. Performance wise, they are very close so pick what you like/work better in your room.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:

The HSU has a shiner finish. Some likes, other does not as it reflects light in a dark theater room. The HSU with its down firing makes a good end table. Performance wise, they are very close so pick what you like/work better in your room.

Good Post!! I like the Downfiring sub as it makes for a nice end table. However I also like the 5yr warranty included in price with the 45day free trial. SVS offers some nice perks. The best thing to do is contact both companies in question and go with the one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. All Internet Direct sub companies offer alot of bang for the buck when compared to a Brick and Mortar sub.
post #21 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 PM

HSU has just dropped the VTF-3 MK4 to 629 plus 99 ship from previous days 699 , so the Thanksgiving Black Friday Deals are starting to show up. Now to see if Rhythmik might drop, I called HSU and they said the VTF-2 MK4 will not drop and in the 2014 it will actually increase in price
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page