dynamo 500 popping, is my sub damaged? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a dynamo 500 that is only about 8 months old. Over the weekend a friend came over and turned my system up well beyond where I normally ever play it. I quickly ran into the room and turned it down, but it played at a very high level for about 20 to 30 seconds. When I say it was being played at a high level I mean it sounded way over driven. It sounded absolutely terrible and like the speaker was blown. Since that event my sub has been randomly popping while playing and also when my entire system is turned off. The dynamo has the auto on/off. When it makes noise with the receiver off it will make a fast much softer popping noise that accelerates and then stop after a second or two. When it makes the popping noise while the receiver is on it usually occurs around areas of low bass. What could be wrong with my sub? What do I need to do to figure out exactly what is going on with it? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM

Liked: 801
It reads like your buddy killed your sub. It does not read as if your sub should have self-destructed due to being over driven. Give the manufacture a call, let them know the truth about what happen and see if warranty covers something like this. And if not, it reads as if you'll need a new subwoofer and your buddy owes you a pizza dinner and a pitcher of "DECENT" beer.

What happens when you turn the sub off at the on/off switch and the auto on feature is taken out of the loop?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i also think it is done for, but Iwas hoping there might be a cheap fix instead ofnbuying a new sub. As for the power there is only "auto on" and "off".
post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 801
Have you given customer service a call?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
There is no need to buy a new sub, a powered sub basically has a driver, enclosure and amp. I am pretty sure the enclosure is intact. Based on the intermittent problem it could be the amp that is defective. Call Customer service, describe the problem. They could replace the amp or driver with a new one or possibly repair it which would be much cheaper than buying a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i also think it is done for, but Iwas hoping there might be a cheap fix instead ofnbuying a new sub. As for the power there is only "auto on" and "off".
post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I reviewed the Dynamo 1500X about 5 months ago and wasn't able to trip it up. About a week ago Josh Ricci reviewed one as well, and he wasn't able to over-extend it either. If Josh isn't able to blow something up I doubt anyone else can. While I don't disagree with BeeMan it's hard for me to imagine your boneheaded friend was able to get past the protection mechanisms - they're very solid. I'd definitely give ML a call and see what they have to say.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to call ML this morning. Thanks for the replies!

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Martinlogan Dynamo 500 Subwoofer Dyn500d
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page