Recommended RW-12D settings for home theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have 2 Klipsch RW-12D subwoofers and I wanted to gauge what should be the settings on the onboard AMP for these subs as they should be identical? This is for movie mode. I want to be able to hear good heavy bass but not overpower the rest of the audio from the other speakers.

I know some may suggest to run Audyssey - I'm still waiting for my microphone to come in but any help would be greatly appreciated. This is for more action movies.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Set them to about 2/3's volume which should be about 22 or 24. Set them to movie mode. Then run Audyssey.

That's how I set them up and it worked well.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
anymore feedback?

what about the the settings of flat, punch, etc and low phase?...
Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 488
before running Audyssey set to Flat, Always On, Lowpass OFF LFE Mode, Phase 0, Volume -20.

Run Audyssey once, check SW Level, repeat until you get the level near Zero. + or - 3.0 will be close enough. Adjust volume on Sub until you get near zero. Then run Audyssey in all positions.

Once you're through running Audyssey, you can set Punch, Depth or Flat, On Settings as desired.

I use Depth for movies, Punch for Music, Flat for Night & Auto On. Ymmv.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

before running Audyssey set to Flat, Always On, Lowpass OFF LFE Mode, Phase 0, Volume -20.

Run Audyssey once, check SW Level, repeat until you get the level near Zero. + or - 3.0 will be close enough. Adjust volume on Sub until you get near zero. Then run Audyssey in all positions.

Once you're through running Audyssey, you can set Punch, Depth or Flat, On Settings as desired.

I use Depth for movies, Punch for Music, Flat for Night & Auto On. Ymmv.

I'm trying to understand the Audyssey set up. When setting up the sub it tells me to set the volume on the sub to 75db via the mic. So if I have it at -20 it will not be 75db. What am I missing ?
Thanks for any info.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 488
NO, that is correct you have a new & better version of Audyssey than I, XT32! cool.gif

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

NO, that is correct you have a new & better version of Audyssey than I, XT32! cool.gif

I have the Onkyo-809 A/V receiver that has Audyssey MultEQ XT. I'm not up to par on all of the Audyssey versions etc.
To be honest I have 2 of these RW-12D's and 2 of the HSU subs a VTF-3.3 and a VTF 3.4 all in the same room. I simply do not have anywhere to put the RW-12D's other than my HT room, so I conneted them and put them near field.
It's very difficult to get the RW12D's to blend in with HSU subs with no measuring equipment.
But thanks for posting your info.

Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

[

I'm trying to understand the Audyssey set up. When setting up the sub it tells me to set the volume on the sub to 75db via the mic. So if I have it at -20 it will not be 75db. What am I missing ?
Thanks for any info.[/quote]

Use the gain/volume adjustment on the sub to whatever it takes to get to 75db reading, ignore what it says on the RW12d itself or the avr's master volume control (wasn't sure what you meant by set at -20, sub or avr).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Thanks for any info.

Use the gain/volume adjustment on the sub to whatever it takes to get to 75db reading, ignore what it says on the RW12d itself or the avr's master volume control (wasn't sure what you meant by set at -20, sub or avr).[/quote]

Thanks and yes that was an example -20 for the volume on the sub.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Ray---what did you do with the quotes? Looks strange! ps--never mind seems I started that...sometimes that dual quote feature is nice other times it's a pain....

I run my RW12d at -18-19 mostly fwiw. Audyssey (and your avr, some things like crossover are actually your avr's suggestion rather than Audyssey) will basically use your sub level as set at 75dB and coordinate spl between your speakers and sub (as they have slightly different standard spl numbers); the avr will set trim/level for your sub accordingly and sometimes you might want to tweak things to get a trim/level setting in your avr after running Audyssey of at least 0 or below).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each