Velodyne HGS-15 refoaming ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The foam is not actually gone. I want to pull the cone and check for voice coil rubbing. It sounds like a mechanical noise from the driver but I see no external damage. Supposedly the amp was sent back and given a clean bill of health from Velodyne (unconfirmed). I did find a damaged 4 wire ribbon cable that I think is related to the "servo" sensor. That was damaged at the wire tie that held it to the basket. The insulation was chaffed and bare wires rubbing together. That has been repaired but the sound is still there. I have never opened up a dual voice (servo type) coil so I'm not really sure what to expect and this driver is one huge beast.

Anyone ever done one of these??? Thanks,

Chip

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There are companies who do this and with that sub, it's well worth it. I'm a huge HGS fan as I feel they are one timeless woofers ever made.
www.audiolab.com is where I use to work and they do it but they are in PA. If your willing to ship the sub or just the woofer, they maybe able to help you out. Worth an email or phone call.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks but this is something I will do my self if I can come up with the parts and correct info.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't have a way for you to check the accelerometer via a multimeter, but you can check the voice coil for continuity.

If the woofer needs to be replaced in this model , we would require that the whole subwoofer be sent to us . The customer would add the shipping cost both ways to the price of the woofer replacement. The cost is $780 plus shipping.

Have you look at the spider to see if it is ripped?

Regards,

Jeff Davis

Velodyne Support
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page