8'' jamo subwoofer vs 10'' x2 woofers ? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which gives the most bass output ? My jamo sub 250 (8'') at 12 o'clock gain volume or my jamo s608 fronts (10''woofers) at large setting ? The only difference i noticed is that i heard my door shaking with my sub on and all speakers at small (80hz crossover) during a scene in 'The Conjuring' movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The 2 10" will likely provide more output, but neither of these options will dig anywhere deep. Pick up even the simple SVS PB-1000 and you'll see what you've been missing with regards to bass.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

The 2 10" will likely provide more output, but neither of these options will dig anywhere deep. Pick up even the simple SVS PB-1000 and you'll see what you've been missing with regards to bass.

I was viewing some reviews about the sub you mentioned , and every one said its fantastic. It also went below 20hz during a movie review i saw. The only problem i got is this. With my current 8'' subwoofer , the bass is not smooth and rumbles at mid point volume from the back knob. It is positioned in the left front corner. I also tried moving the couch forward to avoid the back wall , but no difference. It is positioned in a small left fromt corner , then theres the open side of the room.

What the cause of this ? Is this a problem because of the sub ? Or maybe because its down firing ? Or maybe because of my room ? Is it because i got some furniture on the other side of the room ? I really wanna know , because if there is no solution for this , i will not go for this sub and counter the same problem.

Here's a pic of where the sub is placed and a pic on the view of the room (opposite sideo of where the sub is placed). Also , room is 3.5m x3.7m.

xof5s8.jpg

214b702.jpg
Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Which gives the most bass output ? My jamo sub 250 (8'') at 12 o'clock gain volume or my jamo s608 fronts (10''woofers) at large setting ?
In this thread, you said "Single 8'' subwoofer or dual 10'' woofers in my front speakers ? My bass is alot more dynamic and shaky when turning off my subwoofer and set my fronts to LARGE."

In this thread, you said "With the subwoofer on and fronts set to small , i do not get that bass shake feeling. Its only a 8'' subwoofer. With the fronts set to large , the bass is very dynamic and it shakes the floor."

In this thread, you said "I find bass is much more dynamic when fronts are set to large. It maybe be because my sub is a 8'' comapred to my fronts which both have a 10'' woofer ... "

And, in this thread, you said "... i turned the sub off because when i play music with the woofers in the s608 fronts , the bass is more powerfull."
Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

In this thread, you said "Single 8'' subwoofer or dual 10'' woofers in my front speakers ? My bass is alot more dynamic and shaky when turning off my subwoofer and set my fronts to LARGE."

In this thread, you said "With the subwoofer on and fronts set to small , i do not get that bass shake feeling. Its only a 8'' subwoofer. With the fronts set to large , the bass is very dynamic and it shakes the floor."

In this thread, you said "I find bass is much more dynamic when fronts are set to large. It maybe be because my sub is a 8'' comapred to my fronts which both have a 10'' woofer ... "

And, in this thread, you said "... i turned the sub off because when i play music with the woofers in the s608 fronts , the bass is more powerfull."

I know what i said. I came to a conclusion as you can see in my last question along with the pics , and need an answer. Time for an upgrade ! I still dont know whats causing this rumbling and un-smooth bass during certain actions in movies. If its because of the subwoofer , i will upgrade right away.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You're asking for a lot from a small sub. Jamo makes great speakers, but there are far better options in the subwoofer department. Even an HSU STF-2 would be an upgrade IMO. That said, have you tried doing a subwoofer crawl? Do you use something with EQ like Audyssey?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have an 8 inch Jamo downfing subwoofer (sub 200 ) and sad to sad its a crappy subwoofer compared to my 8 inch JBL downfing subwoofer (sub 138), Its distorts early on specially when the crossover is set at the 12 o'clock posiion, I sert the crossover point at the 40 hz point (lowest) and it perform better with less distortion. I would seriously upgrade to something else. If budget is tight used M&K, JBL, Polk or Infinity with woofers in the 12 inch range would provide a better output and response.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I came to a conclusion as you can see in my last question along with the pics , and need an answer. Time for an upgrade ! I still dont know whats causing this rumbling and un-smooth bass during certain actions in movies. If its because of the subwoofer , i will upgrade right away.
Okay, well, in this thread, you were advised either to upgrade or to double up on your current sub.

In this thread, you were advised to get a bigger / more powerful sub.

And in this thread, you were looking at adding a second sub to your system.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're asking for a lot from a small sub. Jamo makes great speakers, but there are far better options in the subwoofer department. Even an HSU STF-2 would be an upgrade IMO. That said, have you tried doing a subwoofer crawl? Do you use something with EQ like Audyssey?

My receiver is the onkyo tx sr-308. It does not have any room correction setups.I was going to try to change the location of my subwoofer from the front of the room to the back of the room near my seating position so i can put the gain volume down with everything set to small. I know im in need of a subwoofer upgrade. What about going for the 'SVS PB-1000' and put it near my seating position and maybe add a second one of it later on ?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, well, in this thread, you were advised either to upgrade or to double up on your current sub.

In this thread, you were advised to get a bigger / more powerful sub.

And in this thread, you were looking at adding a second sub to your system.

Right,i will be going for a 'SVS PB-1000' and place it near my seating position and maybe add a second 'SVS PB-1000' later on and place it in front of the room. How is the JAMO SUB 660 compared to the SVS PB-1000 ?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The PB-1000 will crush your current sub, and it will dig deeper and - in all likelihood - have greater overall output than the 660. It's a very solid choice.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The PB-1000 will crush your current sub, and it will dig deeper and - in all likelihood - have greater overall output than the 660. It's a very solid choice.

I will surely order one then. Is this the best deal i can get for it ?

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.Um2wavmODmc

Also, will i get more bass output from this svs sub if instead placing it in the front corner , i'll place it in the rear corner near the seating couch ? If leaving it at the front corner i will be sitting at about 3meters away from it. If placed at the rear , i will be sitting at about 1.5meters away from it.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Every room is different which is why a sub crawl is worth doing. That said, corner loaded typically yields some room gain, but placing a sub near field often helps as well. Yes, $499 shipped direct from SVS is the way to go. SVS also allows trade in for a year in case you want to go even bigger.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Every room is different which is why a sub crawl is worth doing. That said, corner loaded typically yields some room gain, but placing a sub near field often helps as well. Yes, $499 shipped direct from SVS is the way to go. SVS also allows trade in for a year in case you want to go even bigger.

Cool, thanks for the help. I will surely go for this sub. Any idea how lond does it take to be delivered to Malta,Europe ?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Check with SVS as they have quite a few international dealers.
dazkyl likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... will i get more bass output from this svs sub if instead placing it in the front corner , i'll place it in the rear corner near the seating couch ?
The VERY obvious answer is: Try it in the front corner and try it in the back corner and go with the location that gives you the best bass.

Also:
- If you want to try it somewhere else in the room, try it somewhere else in the room and go with the location that works best.

- If you want to move your furniture around to see if it makes things sound better, move your furniture around and go with the furniture placement that works best.

- If you want to try setting your speakers to large and to small to see which sounds better, set your speakers to large and to small and go with the setting that works best.

- If you want to adjust the gain on the sub up/down and/or the sub level in the AVR up/down to see which setting or combination of settings works best, adjust the gain on the sub up/down and/or the sub level in the AVR up/down and go with the setting or combination of settings that work best.

- If you want to try combining a PB-1000 with your existing sub to see how that works, try combining the subs and if using both works best, use both; otherwise, use just the PB-1000.

- If you're not sure whether you should put the PB-1000 in the front corner and your current sub in the back corner, or vice-versa, try both options and go with the one that works best.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The VERY obvious answer is: Try it in the front corner and try it in the back corner and go with the location that gives you the best bass.

Also:
- If you want to try it somewhere else in the room, try it somewhere else in the room and go with the location that works best.

- If you want to move your furniture around to see if it makes things sound better, move your furniture around and go with the furniture placement that works best.

- If you want to try setting your speakers to large and to small to see which sounds better, set your speakers to large and to small and go with the setting that works best.

- If you want to adjust the gain on the sub up/down and/or the sub level in the AVR up/down to see which setting or combination of settings works best, adjust the gain on the sub up/down and/or the sub level in the AVR up/down and go with the setting or combination of settings that work best.

- If you want to try combining a PB-1000 with your existing sub to see how that works, try combining the subs and if using both works best, use both; otherwise, use just the PB-1000.

- If you're not sure whether you should put the PB-1000 in the front corner and your current sub in the back corner, or vice-versa, try both options and go with the one that works best.

How can i connect the svs sub when i get it to my receiver while leaving my current sub connected as well ?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Y-splitter

Fair enough. I ordered the sub. Until i receive it , im running everything at small and subwoofer on as it should be. I noticed that when i rotated the cutt-off frequency knob on the back of the sub , the bass output went down. So this means less rumbling too. But i heard it should be set all the way up so that the receiver will handle the crossover. What should i set it to ?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I noticed that when i rotated the cutt-off frequency knob on the back of the sub , the bass output went down. ... What should i set it to ?
IMO, you should set it to whatever you've been recommended at least once to set it to. If you don't remember what you were recommended to set it to, search your posting history and you'll find the answer.

smile.gif
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't mix the subs myself and would run with just the PB-1000 hooked up.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

Which gives the most bass output ? My jamo sub 250 (8'') at 12 o'clock gain volume or my jamo s608 fronts (10''woofers) at large setting ? The only difference i noticed is that i heard my door shaking with my sub on and all speakers at small (80hz crossover) during a scene in 'The Conjuring' movie.

Just a friendly reminder that the most bass isn't necessarily good bass.

Those of us who use equalizers or system optimization facilities that are active for our subwoofers have a lot more options to turn lots of bass into good bass by evening out the response of our subwoofers which can vary greatly in the room. Those of us who have worked over room acoustics in the bass range with common tools like bass traps may be reaping similar benefits and those who have done all of the above are excpetionally likely to have good sounding subwoofers. The better the subwoofer the more likely it is to cause trouble in most installations.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wouldn't mix the subs myself and would run with just the PB-1000 hooked up.

Yep , im only going to use the SVS sub when it arrives ! smile.gif

Today a few of my friends came to my house to watch a movie. My friend sat in my main position (middle in line with the center speaker) and i sat on the side of the couch , near the side of the room. The sound was better this way , bass was fuller and the front image sounded wider. I dont think i get this experience when i sit in the middle of the couch.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

Yep , im only going to use the SVS sub when it arrives ! smile.gif

Congrats. Be sure to come back and post your impressions once you get the PB-1000 dialed in. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Tags
Jamo Sub 250 Subwoofer Single Black , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb1000 by PriceGrabber.com