Need help with a quad subwoofer setup - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 152 Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43

I finally figured what was causing me to have such bad results with the FV15s. When I hooked up the first sub, it had the factory defaults set to the settings I needed so I assumed the second one was going to be the same. It did not and it had the PEQ turned on. So I was running the two subs with basically different settings. I tried it again with the recommended settings from Brian, and the results are now WAY better. I also moved the center speaker to make it more flush with the subwoofer and that seemed to have improved things a little.

For movies, the FV15 sounded better across the board compared to the F15s. I attribute that to the difference in the output between the two. I have the damping set to HI for both movies and music. For music, the F15s is still a tad better, I would grade it at a 9/10 and the FV15 at an 7.5-8/10.
So far I am very happy with my purchase. I think it is a good all around compromise given my 90/10 ht/music preference. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post

Some suggestions, based off my experiments (which may or may not be right for your room or your taste):
1 port
14-hi
lfe input
mains set to small
concentrate Audyssey mic positions in MLP, rather than spreading across other seats
dynamic EQ on
Audyssey music (even for movies)
Try Audyssey with 14-hi (rather than 14-low, like Brian suggested), so Audyssey can correct for phase. I think the problems Brian was troubleshooting don't apply to all rooms.
Try a variety of crossover frequencies with mains. I got best results with my left/right at 90hz and my center at 70hz. This gave my LRs a bit more muscle while avoiding unnatural boominess in male voices. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 152 Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

I finally figured what was causing me to have such bad results with the FV15s. When I hooked up the first sub, it had the factory defaults set to the settings I needed so I assumed the second one was going to be the same. It did not and it had the PEQ turned on. So I was running the two subs with basically different settings. I tried it again with the recommended settings from Brian, and the results are now WAY better. I also moved the center speaker to make it more flush with the subwoofer and that seemed to have improved things a little.

For movies, the FV15 sounded better across the board compared to the F15s. I attribute that to the difference in the output between the two. I have the damping set to HI for both movies and music. For music, the F15s is still a tad better, I would grade it at a 9/10 and the FV15 at an 7.5-8/10.
So far I am very happy with my purchase. I think it is a good all around compromise given my 90/10 ht/music preference. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.
Oh yeah...I ran into that same thing. The sound fell apart when the settings didn't match, and that's easy to do.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Dsw Pro 600 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page