Need help with a quad subwoofer setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 152 Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I currently have a 20x12 room with 2 x polk audio DSW Pro 600 and I am considering adding 2 more subwoofers to my setup. From what I read, it is recommended that all subwoofers match.

Since the DSW Pro 600 is now discontinued, can I use the replacement 660 for the other 2 subs or do I need to buy all 4 new subs?

I currently have the 2 subwoofers on the front wall. Where would be a good place to put the 2 other subwoofers? Back corners?

My AVR (Denon 4311ci) supports two subs, so my guess is that I have to split both outputs further into 2. How do i split them? (2 fronts=1st output , 2 backs = 2nd output or go by sides?)

Here is a link to my current setup:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=ahmedreda

Any help would be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I just googled your sub and there seems to be a few still for sale via the web. The main difference between the 600 and the 660 seems to be the amp - 250 watts vs. 500 watts. That could cause some concern over the lesser powered subs running out of headroom. You could always place the older, lesser powered subs nearfield and keep the gain down, but ideally you want 4 identical subs for the best performance.

As far as placement goes - you'll need to experiment, but 2 in front and 2 in back is a good start. Do you have the ability to measure your response (i.e. REW)? If not, you're only shootin' in the dark my friend.

You would probably want to hook both front subs together on one sub out and the rear subs on the other since your AVR has independent dual sub management.

All that being said, let me ask you this - why are you considering 4 subs? Have you optimized the output of the 2 you already have with measurement and careful placement/calibration? You may not need 2 more subs....you just need to get the most out of what you already have. smile.gif
post #3 of 152 Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I am going to give REW a try. I have never heard of it before but it seems like what I need to see what issues do I have with my current setup first. Do you have any recommendation on what to use with the software? Do I need to buy a special kind of microphone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I just googled your sub and there seems to be a few still for sale via the web. The main difference between the 600 and the 660 seems to be the amp - 250 watts vs. 500 watts. That could cause some concern over the lesser powered subs running out of headroom. You could always place the older, lesser powered subs nearfield and keep the gain down, but ideally you want 4 identical subs for the best performance.

As far as placement goes - you'll need to experiment, but 2 in front and 2 in back is a good start. Do you have the ability to measure your response (i.e. REW)? If not, you're only shootin' in the dark my friend.

You would probably want to hook both front subs together on one sub out and the rear subs on the other since your AVR has independent dual sub management.

All that being said, let me ask you this - why are you considering 4 subs? Have you optimized the output of the 2 you already have with measurement and careful placement/calibration? You may not need 2 more subs....you just need to get the most out of what you already have. smile.gif
post #4 of 152 Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 390
If you have a laptop or PC with HDMI out and an AVR with HDMI in, all you need is an HDMI cable and a good microphone. If you're computer lacks HDMI, it's still fairly simple - just more cabling.

See this thread for all the info you need!
post #5 of 152 Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

Any help would be appreciated..

Start over. Don't throw good money after what you've already spent. Instead, upgrade to current ID, 15" subwoofers such as what you will find in the Rythmik, SVS and PSA offerings.

It's an imperfect world. Yes, it's not the cheapest avenue. Yes, it throws your idea in a tailspin. With that in mind, starting out with two Rythmik, LV12Rs with an eye on additions, six months or a year down the road, in my opinion, would be a more fruitful path.

When it becomes time to upgrade, that's the best time to trash what you have happening and start over.

In your case, based on available budget, purchase a single PSA, XV15, integrate it into your system and later add additional XV15s.

(ignore any factual integration complications as rest assured, by adding additional XV15s to your system, and taking old Pro 600s out of the system, automatically, everything will balance out)

-
post #6 of 152 Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:

Since the DSW Pro 600 is now discontinued, can I use the replacement 660 for the other 2 subs .
I would. The cabinet appears identical, and that's what mainly determines response. Chances are the driver's the same as well. None of the specs have changed. It appears only the amp is different.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 152 Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

While I was not really planning it, it seems to me that may be the best option. I hate to throw another $6-700 into buying more polk subs and get very minimal ROI. I am thinking about buying a couple of Rythmik F15HP. I really wanted to get a ported sub since I mainly watch movies but almost all the good ones are humongous in size aesthetically speaking. I am thinking with my (smaller) room size, the sealed version will do. Any other suggestions beside the F15HP are welcome. I am looking to spend around $2000 give or take for 2 subs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Start over. Don't throw good money after what you've already spent. Instead, upgrade to current ID, 15" subwoofers such as what you will find in the Rythmik, SVS and PSA offerings.

It's an imperfect world. Yes, it's not the cheapest avenue. Yes, it throws your idea in a tailspin. With that in mind, starting out with two Rythmik, LV12Rs with an eye on additions, six months or a year down the road, in my opinion, would be a more fruitful path.

When it becomes time to upgrade, that's the best time to trash what you have happening and start over.

In your case, based on available budget, purchase a single PSA, XV15, integrate it into your system and later add additional XV15s.

(ignore any factual integration complications as rest assured, by adding additional XV15s to your system, and taking old Pro 600s out of the system, automatically, everything will balance out)

-
post #8 of 152 Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM

Liked: 40
It is the opinion of many of us on the forum that the Rythmik subs give the best performance for both sound quality and extension...but will have slightly less output than the competition in a given price range. That being said, unless you run them over reference level they will probably give you all the output you want. It never hurts to check out PSA, HSU, SVS, or the other companies to see if their products would better suit your needs and expectations, though.
post #9 of 152 Old 10-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:

I am thinking with my (smaller) room size, the sealed version will do. Any other suggestions beside the F15HP are welcome. I am looking to spend around $2000 give or take for 2 subs.

In my opinion, Rythmik and PSA give the best ROI.

First things first, at 2,000^3, you have a small to small-medium size room and due to your longest measurement, you'd have excellent cabin gain. If you don't know already, cabin gain is a sort of subwoofer reinforcement free lunch.

In a sealed subwoofer, in a room your size, a pair of PSA's XS15s would get you where you want to go. If you want to go crazy, later add a third XS15 but it's not a must have.

IIRC, from a conversation today, according to Rythmik (Enrico), two of their F12s would get you down to ten or twelve Hz, -4dB, with plenty of headroom. This would get you two, articulate, high end, ID subs for less than your $2k budget. Being greedy, I'm geared towards 15" subwoofers which would be a pair of E15HPs but then there's shipping of about a hundred dollars each. But delivery is cheaper if you go down to the UPS hub and bring them home yourself. Give Rythmik a call as see what they can do for you when buying a pair.

Would any of these suggestions fit your needs?
post #10 of 152 Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

So are you saying the F15HP would be an overkill for my size room? The chances are I am going to stick with only 2 subwoofers as the room is only wired for 2.

Prices for doubles:

PSA XS15 = $1423
F12 = $1692
F15 = $2400

Quote:

In my opinion, Rythmik and PSA give the best ROI.

First things first, at 2,000^3, you have a small to small-medium size room and due to your longest measurement, you'd have excellent cabin gain. If you don't know already, cabin gain is a sort of subwoofer reinforcement free lunch.

In a sealed subwoofer, in a room your size, a pair of PSA's XS15s would get you where you want to go. If you want to go crazy, later add a third XS15 but it's not a must have.

IIRC, from a conversation today, according to Rythmik (Enrico), two of their F12s would get you down to ten or twelve Hz, -4dB, with plenty of headroom. This would get you two, articulate, high end, ID subs for less than your $2k budget. Being greedy, I'm geared towards 15" subwoofers which would be a pair of E15HPs but then there's shipping of about a hundred dollars each. But delivery is cheaper if you go down to the UPS hub and bring them home yourself. Give Rythmik a call as see what they can do for you when buying a pair.

Would any of these suggestions fit your needs?
Sounds
post #11 of 152 Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:

So are you saying the F15HP would be an overkill for the my size room?

Yes.

I too was surprised by this point. Give Rythmik a call.
post #12 of 152 Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes.

I too was surprised by this point. Give Rythmik a call.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of the F15HP at a slight discount since I live fairly close to them. From what I gathered, people seemed to prefer the FV15HP for larger rooms due to the extra output. The 2xF15HP should be more than enough for my room. Size wise, it was also perfect. The F12 was going to be too small and the FV15HP too big. They shipped the subs within 2 hours of me placing the order and I should receive them Monday! Can't wait for my 204lbs package.
post #13 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 603
I really hope you aren't planning to use Polk DSWs along with Rythmik F15HPs. That would be an atrocity.
post #14 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Can't wait for my 204lbs package.

Looking forward to your first impressions; old subwoofers vs new subwoofers. That's quite a pair of subwoofers you got there. Congrats on the new addition to your Home Theater family.

(i can't start buying until I do another round of new subwoofer position, placement measuring. the wife knows the day is coming soon so it won't be a surprise, while she's busy on the computer, when i walk into the dining room saying;......."Honey. It's time." biggrin.gif)
post #15 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I don't think having mismatched subs is as big an issue as others on this forum. All things being equal, I guess it's better to match, but it's nearly as important as having matching fronts or surrounds. Subs don't play stereo.

The only time I think it's a big issue is if your subs are in totally different ballparks in terms of capabilities. All your subs should be able to keep up with each other. I think your 2 new subs are way better than your polks, so I wouldn't suggest trying to use your polks with them.
Audiophile2k likes this.
post #16 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I really hope you aren't planning to use Polk DSWs along with Rythmik F15HPs. That would be an atrocity.
smile.gif Wasn't planning on it. I will probably sell both or move one to the living room and sell the other.
post #17 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Agreeing with KidHorn, I see the difference of the two pair of subwoofers like a set of four tires, comprising of two sets of like tires, but radically different speed capabilities; passenger vs racing. When, due to high speed, the passenger tires blow, the vehicle will be dependent on the two tires that are still inflated.

(yes, i know physically it's a terrible analogy but it makes the point of what happens when the ability of the lesser sub, drops out of the sound track due to it's inability to keep up)

In subwoofer terms, the lesser subs start having output issues that color the sound with all kinds of noise that sounds like failure while the better subs are just cruising along.

(the next bad analogy, the sound of a Capella quartet when one of the singers voice, fails to keep up and keeps breaking on extreme notes. can you say; "not pretty?")

(i see you posted your intent while i was crafting the above)
post #18 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 02:34 PM

I agree the matching sub issue is more of a concern for output junkies that like to push their system to the limits...or if one sub is WAY below the sound quality of the other. It obviously does no good if one of the subs is detracting from the overall sound quality. A lot of people have had success using a lesser sub nearfield for the midbass slam, while using the more capable sub in the best position for lowest possible frequency response. Just be sure to level match when using different subs, as gain matching is pretty much useless in that scenario.
post #19 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
It's not just sub output differences that can cause issues. All subs have EQ and that EQ cause phase shift...the issue appears when there is phase cancellation between different subs due to them not being exactly in sync (and no this is not something that can be fixed with the distance control on the prepro or the phase control on the back of the sub). I've seen it happen a number of times and it is unpredictable. Best to keep all subs identical...even slightly different subs from the same mfg may have different EQ and hence phase shift.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #20 of 152 Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM

But unless your subs are equidistant to you and every boundary you are always going to have some slight phase issues, even with identical subs. A slight phase issue isn't going to be too noticed, and subs that give you more phase control will allow you to dial it in pretty well. In the OP situation, he already has the subs, so there is no reason not to experiment. I agree all being equal and starting from scratch, go with identical subs or subs as close to identical as possible, but in the real world we can sometimes get a few more miles out of a sub by letting it be the supporting act rather than the star. Obviously if the quality of the original sub is too low it won't be any benefit, (I'm not familiar with the original subs), so I still think it is worth the time and effort to experiment a little.
steve nn likes this.
post #21 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

It's not just sub output differences that can cause issues. All subs have EQ and that EQ cause phase shift...the issue appears when there is phase cancellation between different subs due to them not being exactly in sync (and no this is not something that can be fixed with the distance control on the prepro or the phase control on the back of the sub). I've seen it happen a number of times and it is unpredictable. Best to keep all subs identical...even slightly different subs from the same mfg may have different EQ and hence phase shift.

This entire post is nonsense.
post #22 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Since you have all four now, I would try setting up the quads in the most optimal fashion you can and take things from there. Your systems flexibility/room is your friend in this circumstance and the final outcome can only be determined by you trying/metering both options out. I’m leaving things unsaid, but imo that’s the bottom line here. Give it a shot!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #23 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I’m leaving things unsaid,...

Which is code for; good luck. tongue.gif

Quote:
Give it a shot!

Which is code for; give insanity a chance. tongue.gif

Hopefully, this link by Rythmik will help your integration efforts and limit expected frustrations.
post #24 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:

Which is code for; good luck. tongue.gif
Which is code for; give insanity a chance. tongue.gif

Hopefully, this link by Rythmik will help your integration efforts and limit expected frustrations.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #25 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM

...biggrin.gif
post #26 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

This entire post is nonsense.

Absolutely not. I do acoustic analysis and design, including engineering multi-sub arrays for my day job, and it's absolutely not nonsense.

If you re-read and you have the acoustics knowledge it makes sense. If you don't understand acoustics then maybe that's why it makes no sense to you.

Feel free to ask any clarification questions you need, I can back this up 100%.
kwarny likes this.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #27 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

If you re-read and you have the acoustics knowledge it makes sense. If you don't understand acoustics then maybe that's why it makes no sense to you.

As a suggestion, try dumbing it down so those of us without an acoustical degree, can understand what you're trying to share.

(my subs are relatively closely matched as I depend on Anti-Mode 8033S II, MultEQ XT, REW, the HPF and phase control to be my friend)

-
post #28 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:

I went ahead and ordered a pair of the F15HP at a slight discount since I live fairly close to them. From what I gathered, people seemed to prefer the FV15HP for larger rooms due to the extra output. The 2xF15HP should be more than enough for my room. Size wise, it was also perfect. The F12 was going to be too small and the FV15HP too big. They shipped the subs within 2 hours of me placing the order and I should receive them Monday! Can't wait for my 204lbs package.
I was going to suggest getting two new subs, nice job on the F15hp's. You should be booming now. I am going to be putting my dual Triax's in a 16X14 theater, that is going to be very interesting. Happy subbing.
post #29 of 152 Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I was going to suggest getting two new subs, nice job on the F15hp's. You should be booming now. I am going to be putting my dual Triax's in a 16X14 theater, that is going to be very interesting. Happy subbing.

Nice.. Dual Triax.. Must be some insane bass. I'm also doing a quad setup soon. As a matter of fact my quad S2's should be at my front door in two weeks according to Jeff at JTR. My HT room is almost sealed. Currently I'm sealing the windows and openings with sound curtains. Also adding some room treatments too. Yesterday I took some better measurements of my room. I guess all this time I kind of rounded off the numbers. Thought all this time my room was 20x20x10. But to be exact, it is 19'-8"x17'-2"x 9'-0". A little over 3000 sq ft. Guess that's still big enough for my quads..
post #30 of 152 Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

That is a LOT of subwoofer for the space. I considered buying 2 of the PSA XS30 but I did not like the idea of paying $600+ extra to get them in the black ash finish that I wanted. Not sure why it was so expensive.
I am curious how the Triax's will sound. Keep us updated when you have them hooked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Dsw Pro 600 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page