XV15 Should be here on Halloween........soooooo?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello All,

First time long time......After tons of reading thru countless forums I pulled the trigger on an XV15 on Friday the 25th and it shipped same day and according to Fedex, will arrive on Halloween!!!:D My theater room is about 1600cf(12wx17dx8ft ceilings) with one opening front left to a hallway with a pony wall overlooking the stairs. I have theater seating with two rows 3 front 4 rear. I have no acoustical treatments. As with a lot of people I started small( Klipsch bookshelf system) and got "the bug":rolleyes:. I have an Epson 8100 with a 120" fixed DIY screen, Klipsch vf35 floorstanders, vc25 center with polk r 50 floorstanders for rear surrounds, doing this from memory so I may have numbers wrong, have a denon avr 591. This is by no means a "high end theater room" just a comfortable place the wife and I can relax and watch movies. So anyway, with the xv15 arriving on Halloween, any listening suggestions for the first listen? I have no calibration tools, but I'm sure that will be in my future. Planning on hookin up and turnin to 2 oclock! Oh yeah, have a lower end Sony bd player and a 10" older Klipsch sub(from bookshelf system) now so the xv15 should be a little step up:cool: Planning on putting sub front left in corner next to pony wall for starters. AVR does have audessy(sp) but havent liked the sound, so just running "by ear". Thanks in advance.......will be updating profile soon, at work.....ssshhhhhh!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I have the same version of Audyssey as you do (MultEQ). Unless you have your own measurement and EQ equipment, I strongly encourage you to use it. It's possible to get bad results from Audyssey if your listening position or measurement positions are themselves in bad locations, like right up against a wall, or dead centered on the room's middle. Choose good seating locations unlike the ones mentioned, and place the mic inside a locus of points no more than a few feet away from the listeners' heads.

Then watch The Conjuring :-)

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #3 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Congrats! Did you get the base plate or peg leg version? Conjuring would be a appropiate Holloween movie, it has some great LFE, but I wish it had more of it!! Let us know your thoughts after you get it set up!!
post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks SM, just realized I didnt put this in the PSA owners thread:mad:. Maybe my mic positioning was wrong? My first row is about 8 ft from lcr and second row is about 16ft. I never sit in back tho so not worried too much about that listening spot.Come to think of it, the first row of seating is real close to the middle of the room......hope this won't be a problem. OK.....the conjuring is on my list!!! 

post #5 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

BH81, I got the base plate version.....can't wait to get this thing, i'm all over the fedex tracker but it hasnt updated since saturday:confused: Still shows Oct. 31 delivery tho!!!!! Fingers crossed!

post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The middle of the room is typically a place where bass response is significantly reduced--I'm not an expert but I understand it's to do with an interaction between a wave and its reflection against the opposite wall. In the middle they meet and form a standing wave, where the net SPL is lower than almost anywhere else in the room.

In short, yes, the middle of the room is one of the worst places to be in a majority of setups.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #7 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

SM, just read the audyssey faq stuff! Wish I would've read that before i did my original set up, might have sounded better. I'll see how it sounds when i get the xv15 on thursday! I might have a little wiggle room with seating, so i prolly can move the front row back a little, i can also put the sub in either rear corner, i know seating is still centered but it could change things.I may even be able to put sub nearfield next to front row right side:D hhhmmmm just might work!

post #8 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 478
You don't have to live by the Audyssey setting. Run Audy, 6 positions I believe for for Mult EQ? If you find the sub is set to low, just increase in the AVR. You can and should level match all speakers at 75db's. Setting audyssey properly will give you an incredible H/T experience.
___
SaviorMachine likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here's an interesting idea. How about listening to children scream? eek.gif

I don't know if you hand out candy to children for Halloween, but if you do, instead of going over the top with decorations for your haunted house, you can make it a really scary haunted house by putting the sub near the front door. Whenever children knocks, play something like Jurassic Park's dinosaur stomp scene to simulate shaking the grounds from big stomps before opening the door. After opening the door, play WOTW or something to make the area near the front door really shake. I bet these children have never been to a house that moves!
post #10 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Here's an interesting idea. How about listening to children scream? eek.gif

I don't know if you hand out candy to children for Halloween, but if you do, instead of going over the top with decorations for your haunted house, you can make it a really scary haunted house by putting the sub near the front door. Whenever children knocks, play something like Jurassic Park's dinosaur stomp scene to simulate shaking the grounds from big stomps before opening the door. After opening the door, play WOTW or something to make the area near the front door really shake. I bet these children have never been to a house that moves!
We do a scary yard every year and that sounds fun, however there is no moving my subs to the front door wink.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page