should Audyssey be re-ran after sub is broken in? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is it better to re-run audyssey after breaking in the sub? And how would I know if the sub is broken in? Does it sound differently?

These are the question my friend has been wondering. And I myself also. Currently his lv12r is set at 9 o'clock. And his subwoofer level in his avr is set to -2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Is it better to re-run audyssey after breaking in the sub?
I'd run Audyssey when integrating the sub initially, and again after break-in. And if at some point down the road you want to re-run Audyssey again, it doesn't hurt to run it again. smile.gif
Quote:
And how would I know if the sub is broken in? Does it sound differently?
It won't necessarily sound different, but it might. A few hours of use should be enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My belief is that subwoofer break-in is nothing more than audiophile mythology. I've never heard or measured a difference with my gear after the passage of time. If there's anyone who has objective data to back up claims that subwoofer break-in changes frequency response or any other measurable characteristic, I'd be interested to know about it...
post #4 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

Is it better to re-run audyssey after breaking in the sub? And how would I know if the sub is broken in? Does it sound differently?

Yes you should and yes it does. Also, allow your subs amplifier to be on for thirty minutes to allow the amplifier to warm up.

After about forty hours of break in, things are about as loose as they're going be and I doubt you'll notice additional change in timbre. And after thirty minutes of amplifier warm up, I don't see additional changes in my graphs.

(i'm not going get into an argument over if things need breaking in or not. If someone doesn't care about this stuff, then it doesn't matter and after forty hours of play time, it doesn't matter because the subwoofer has been broken in and the point becomes moot)
post #5 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

My belief is that subwoofer break-in is nothing more than audiophile mythology. I've never heard or measured a difference with my gear after the passage of time. If there's anyone who has objective data to back up claims that subwoofer break-in changes frequency response or any other measurable characteristic, I'd be interested to know about it...

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction

They tested on smaller drivers, 10" woofer and 4.5" midrange, but I would assume it would translate to all size drivers of similar construction. I'm not an expert and don't know what all the TS parameters mean except they are different before and after break in.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:

If there's anyone who has objective data to back up claims that subwoofer break-in changes frequency response or any other measurable characteristic, I'd be interested to know about it...
This is but one of many. Looking in the wrong places you have been.
http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm

I break in every driver I use in design prototypes. They always measure differently after break in, that's why I break in every single one.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 24
That's some very informative read up. I'm glad you guys posted some, thank you. I suggested my friend to do a 40 hour break in period. What type of meter can he use to measure the difference?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

He doesn't need to measure the difference - he just needs to re-run Audyssey after whatever # of hours he's decided to use for break-in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

He doesn't need to measure the difference - he just needs to re-run Audyssey after whatever # of hours he's decided to use for break-in.
+1, Audyssey measures the response and EQs the system accordingly.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

This is but one of many. Looking in the wrong places you have been.
http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm
I break in every driver I use in design prototypes. They always measure differently after break in, that's why I break in every single one.

Thanks for the links, Bill & simp1yamazn. Yes, there are measurable parameters that change with break-in, so claiming that nothing changes during break-in would be incorrect. What I had in mind however was the OP's question about the need to delay taking Audyssey measurements until after a suitable break-in period has occurred. Audyssey sets gains, distances, and EQ's the frequency response. The question that remains in my mind is which of those values would be significantly inaccurate if Audyssey measurements were taken after 1 hour of use versus the 40 hour point?

The Audioholics analysis provided by simp1yamazn seems to corroborate the belief that the OP needn't wait for a break-in period before running the Audyssey setup:

"Clearly, the differences in amplitude response between the pre- & post-break in systems are negligible."

"it's clear the volume of air confined within the sealed cabinet of the enclosed box loudspeaker system moderates any measurable and/or audible changes that might arise as a consequence of driver compliance changes."

"it's reasonable to conclude that suspension compliance changes arising as a consequence of initial driver burn in has little effect on the performance of a loudspeaker system."

The Audioholics test also includes pre & post break-in frequency response charts showing negligible differences, so I remain skeptical of the need to wait...
post #11 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

The Audioholics test also includes pre & post break-in frequency response charts showing negligible differences, so I remain skeptical of the need to wait...

The good news, after forty hours of break-in, it's all moot anyways. wink.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

The gr-research article focused on raw driver measurements, whereas the Audioholics tests measured speaker systems. When measuring a speaker system in a room, I suspect that moving the Audyssey mic a few inches in any direction is likely to make a greater difference in the EQ results than waiting 40 hours for break-in.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

The good news, after forty hours of break-in, it's all moot anyways. wink.gif

Sorry to resurrect an old-ish thread but I gots a question:

Does it matter at what MV setting this "break-in" is done at? I use my subs for everything, with regular TV viewing making up the vast majority of viewing, albeit at relatively low volume levels (-35 to -20)....will this still break-in my subs?

I've probably got 100 hours of TV on my 2 new subs, but only about 8-10 hours of movies at -10 to -5.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #14 of 17 Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You've got plenty of hours on your subs. If you haven't run Audyssey yet, run it. If you have run it, re-run it. If, at some point, you think you should re-run it again, re-run it again. smile.gif

post #15 of 17 Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Eljay....oh, I've run Audyssey....'bout a dozen times in the last week or so alone (since I got my Mini DSP)! Getting the best bass response is not an easy task! smile.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #16 of 17 Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Thanks Eljay....oh, I've run Audyssey....'bout a dozen times in the last week or so alone (since I got my Mini DSP)! Getting the best bass response is not an easy task! smile.gif

You're right. That's coz Audyssey or any auto eq system is not the definitive point for taming subwoofers; it's more like a starting point wink.gif

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #17 of 17 Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly why I'm layering my Mini DSP on top of Audyssey. wink.gif

Finding just the right combination of placement, gain, phase and filters with 4 subs is becoming quite a daunting task though. frown.gif

My wife is growing tired of the "woooooop, woooooop" of my frequency sweeps every night after she goes to bed! redface.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Audyssey , Rythmik Audio Lv12r

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page