two dynamo 500s or one def tech supercube 4000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Like the title says would my bass sound better and be more powerful running two martin logan dynamo 500s or one definitive technologies super cube 4000. The dynamos are 10" 360 watts, but are only 120 watts rms. The super cube is one 8" with two 8" radiators and 1200 watts.

I already own one martin logan dynamo 500, but it isn't cutting it for when I want more bass with music. The room it is in is 15 x 22 with a two story ceiling which also open into my dining room(1 story)  and foyer (foyer two story). I like clean tight bass so I like the idea of the smaller sub size with the radiators. On the other side of the coin there are times when I really want strong/loud bass. What other options are there around $700 that might suit my needs better?

Does anyone know how much a 20 month old dynamo 500 with brand new amp would sell for? I also have an old Sony 10" 150 watt that I am going to sell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
According to the owner's manual (PDF), the Dynamos' amps are rated at 120W RMS. The SuperCube's amp is most likely not 1200W RMS - DefTech never seems to provide accurate specifications for their subs.

For "around $700", options include:
- Rythmik LV12R ($589, not sure if that includes shipping)
- SVS PB12-NSD ($769, shipped - and SVS offers free return shipping within 45 days)
- PSA XV15 ($799, shipped)
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

I know the super cube isn't 1200rms, but I would expect it to be at least 400 or 500. I haven't been able to find the rms is for the super cube anywhere. Does anyone know?

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
The sound quality of a subwoofer doesn't have anything to with the size of the driver(s). Some of the best subwoofers for music use dual 15 inch drivers. Also wattage ratings can't tell you how any sub can do its job. If you want to shake the room with movies, the PSA XV15 takes the cake, but for highest sound quality with music Rythmik LV12R has a very good Servo.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Rythmik LV12R ($589, not sure if that includes shipping)
SVS PB12-NSD ($769, shipped - and SVS offers free return shipping within 45 days)
PSA XV15 ($799, shipped) 

From what I have read on this forum these are all great choices. I plan on pulling the trigger myself on the PSA XV15 in a couple of days based on what I have read here. The other one that often gets mentioned is the HSU VTF-3 MK4 for $699 in satin black or $799 in rosenut (not sure about shipping).

post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

According to the owner's manual (PDF), the Dynamos' amps are rated at 120W RMS. The SuperCube's amp is most likely not 1200W RMS - DefTech never seems to provide accurate specifications for their subs.

- Rythmik LV12R ($589, not sure if that includes shipping)
- SVS PB12-NSD ($769, shipped - and SVS offers free return shipping within 45 days)
- PSA XV15 ($799, shipped)

Add to that list the PC12NSD at $699 shipped.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 12 Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Add to that list the PC12NSD at $699 shipped.

+1 or.. Get one of each and really have fun.. quadtastic

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Semi - Review

As an update for anyone in a similar situation the supercube 4000 is nice, but not for the size room I have. I bought one from a local best buy that was an open box item because the salesman was insisting it would work well for my needs, and if not they have a 15 day return policy (more on this at the end). Well I brought it home and was impressed with the fit and finish. I hooked it up to my system which is made up of Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver, Energy CF-50 towers, and def tech pro 1000 center. After adjusting the settings and with just the super cube 4000 attached I was under impressed with its performance in my room for the price. On half power it is very clean and sounds good, and would probably perform well in a one story standard size living room. My home happens to have a very open floor plan. My living room is two stories as well as my foyer which is directly attached. Also my kitchen and keeping room are attached through two different wide hall ways.

[rant]

Now for my experience with BestBuy. I went to the store to return the sub and was treated nicely by the woman at the customer service counter. Right as she was finishing up my return she called over her radio for someone from the home theater department to come to the desk. She explained, without me asking, that the magnolia manager likes to know when items are returned. A man walked up to me with a another best buy employee who looked as if he was part of their loss prevention staff. The magnolia manager asked what the problem was, and I explained my situation. He began to talk to me as if I must be deaf, because in his words (we have one in the room back there, and it is very strong). I replied with well that may be the case in that room, but I am dealing with 5 or 6 times the volume and a lot of openings. He began to get aggressive with pushing for me to keep that sub and that it should be very strong. He also starting asking me all of the same questions over again. I cut him off in his tracks by stating I had already explained the situation and then asked him if there was a problem. He said there wasn't and handed me my receipt. I have to say I am pretty pissed off about the way he acted towards me. I was considering ordering a 8000 from them, but that encounter has changed my mind. I am going to most likely go with the PSA XV15 now.

[/rant]

Rant cliff notes - magnolia manager at bestbuy was very rude, and will not be getting my business in the future.

Thanks for all of the advice on other sub choices.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

That stinks. Sorry you had to deal with all that when all you really wanted was good bass. If this helps with your decision, two weeks ago on this thread I said I was leaning towards the PSA XV15. Since then I have ordered it and have had it for over a week now. It is a beast and sounds great for both music and movies. So I am very happy with mine. :)

It sounds like you have a massive area to to pressurize. At some point down the road you may want to consider running two subs. My HT has about 3250 cu ft to pressurize with an open hallway leading away to the rest of the basement. The XV15 handles it without any problem but down the road I am planning to add a second to get smoother bass throughout all the listening positions in the room. But right now I'm thrilled with the XV15 I have.

post #10 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the updated on your XV15. I ran the super cube 4000 with my dynamo 500, and it sounded pretty good but not really for the price. I will probably be buying one XV15 to run with my dynamo and later on down the road pick up a second. That way I can have two XV15s for my living room and then move my dynamo to my bedroom.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post

Thanks for the updated on your XV15. I ran the super cube 4000 with my dynamo 500, and it sounded pretty good but not really for the price. I will probably be buying one XV15 to run with my dynamo and later on down the road pick up a second. That way I can have two XV15s for my living room and then move my dynamo to my bedroom.

Be glad you skipped the SC8000. I had (still have but not in use) and while it was pretty good for the size of the box it ended up being SOOOOOOO overpriced. Plus it had nothing to give below about 25hz and could get a little boomy. It had enough output above 30hz for me, but this is in a sealed 1650^3 ft room.

I am currently using a SVS PC12+ that even when paying $230 shipping to Hawaii still cost less and stomps all over the SC8000.

You made a good choice by going with the XV15.

My advice would be to not even try to integrate your Dynamo 500 into the mix. Unless your sitting on it you probably won't even be able to tell it's on. And if you attempt to level both subs you'll end up neutering the PSA in an effort to keep the Dynamo from self destructing trying to keep up.

Move the Dynamo to the BR already.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #12 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

You made a good choice by going with the XV15.

My advice would be to not even try to integrate your Dynamo 500 into the mix. Unless your sitting on it you probably won't even be able to tell it's on. And if you attempt to level both subs you'll end up neutering the PSA in an effort to keep the Dynamo from self destructing trying to keep up.

Move the Dynamo to the BR already.

I agree with kini. Let the XV15 run the show by itself.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Martinlogan Dynamo 500 Subwoofer Dyn500d
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page