Two New Low End Subs - Which Should I Use Where? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-31-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Weird question: Yesterday I bought some used audio gear, including two subwoofers: a Definitive Technology ProSub 800 and a Polk Audio PSW 10. I understand that these are not high end subs, but they were purchased for our living room and sewing room systems, neither of which are used for critical listening compared to the basement media room. I hope to upgrade the media room subwoofer sometime soon as well, but for now I plan to make do with the current B&W SW-500.

So the question is which sub is likely to do best in which of the rooms.

Room 1 is a large open concept living room, which has a 16' ceiling and is open to the entry way, dining area, and kitchen. This will be a 3.1 system powered by a Denon AVR-1708, with a pair of DefTech Pro Monitor 800s and a DefTech ProCenter 1000. Room is used extensively for 70% TV, 20% non-critical music listening, and 10% casual movie watching. All of the subs in question are aesthetically pleasing enough for use in this space.

Room 2 is my wife's sewing room. It's about 10' x 12'. This room will be less frequently used compared to room 1, with probably the same usage breakdown: 70% TV, 20% non-critical music listening, and 10% casual movie watching. This will be another 3.1 system, powered by an older Sony AVR, with about 90 wpc IIRC. Speakers will be Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800s and a center channel to be purchased soon. For temporary use I will use either a JBL Control 1 or a B&W DM601. Appearance is not important in this space.

Room 3 is our media room. It's about 15' x 22' with an adjoining 7' x 11' office area off of the back that will eventually be walled off to serve as an equipment room / office. I wasn't really considering either of the new subs for this space, but if you think either of them would be beter in this room than the current 12 year old B&W SW-500, please let me know that, too. This is a 7.1 system. Other speakers in this room are from the B&W DM series, an LCR600 S3, a pair of 603s, a pair of 602s for surrounds, and a pair of 601s for surround backs, al powered by a low end Onkyo HR-RC160 AVR, which I hope to replace within a year or so. Appearance is not a factor in this space, either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Any thoughts?
Try each of the subs in each of the rooms and go with the configuration you feel works best for you / sounds best to you.
steve nn and M.T.Nest like this.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Use the strongest sub in the largest room.wink.gif
M.T.Nest likes this.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer Single Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page